This has been an excellent coaching job by....

I thinks Pearl as done well, as I said to start this thread, because the Vols don't have great talent; indeed, UT doesn't have one great player. But we do have a lot of decent players who, when all on the same page, can be pretty effective. But in the sweet 16 you're in the land of the big boys, and big boys usually have a couple of exceptional players. UT will need its usual group effort to keep moving through the tourney.

They obviously pick the players that they want to recruit. Too bad CBP could not outrecruit Cal. Why is that?

It's not Cal outrecruiting Pearl . It's Memphis and Kentucky outrecruiting Tennessee. Any reasonable person will recognize the basketball history that Memphis and especially Kentucky has far outweighs what tradition Tennessee has. When Tennessee wins Friday night, we will add another building block to our recruiting success. We will then be able to go out to the top notch recruits and say "Look what we have done. We can compete for National Championships, too"

It's not Cal outrecruiting Pearl . It's Memphis and Kentucky outrecruiting Tennessee. Any reasonable person will recognize the basketball history that Memphis and especially Kentucky has far outweighs what tradition Tennessee has. When Tennessee wins Friday night, we will add another building block to our recruiting success. We will then be able to go out to the top notch recruits and say "Look what we have done. We can compete for National Championships, too"

So if Cal left Memphis last year and came to UT, you think that our team (personnel) would look similar to what it does now?

I do feel Pearl has a lot of responsibility in the roster and the issues it has caused. That said, he has done a very good job holding this team together and getting this far. He's converted this team into a fairly decent half court team all in all, much better than a year ago anyway.

I'm still not ready to crown him just yet, but if he can win these next two games he will jump into my consideration of 10 best coaches in the game.

So if Cal left Memphis last year and came to UT, you think that our team (personnel) would look similar to what it does now?

No doubt that Cal has outrecruited Pearl to date. No doubt that it has historically been easier to get talent to Memphis and Kentucky vs. Tennessee. I still think that Pearl can be highly successful at UT and can eventually be on par with the best recruiters out there.

Well as of right now Tennessee has a better recruiting class right now than Kentucky. But of course all that could change on the next basketball NSD.

No doubt that Cal has outrecruited Pearl to date. No doubt that it has historically been easier to get talent to Memphis and Kentucky vs. Tennessee. I still think that Pearl can be highly successful at UT and can eventually be on par with the best recruiters out there.

Our most recent SIGNED class is proof positive

I agree. I just take exception to people acting like UT is some sort of basketball purgatory. We have facilities and fans on par with the best. If he is not getting top players, fans cannot use the excuse it is because he coaches at UT.

Just want to say that I love Bruce Pearl - he's a great coach. Sure you could be frustrated with the results sometimes, but you take the good with the bad. Pardon my ignorance of UT's past, but since Pearl has been there I always enjoy watching them and consider them to be a top team annually right now.

I love his quotes too :D

I agree. I just take exception to people acting like UT is some sort of basketball purgatory. We have facilities and fans on par with the best. If he is not getting top players, fans cannot use the excuse it is because he coaches at UT.

I would say that both facilities and fans have had drastic improvement since CBP arrived (and much of it is directly related to the success of the program since his arrival). The on court results and $'s spent necessitate recruiting improvement from when CBP first arrived at UT.

I would say that both facilities and fans have had drastic improvement since CBP arrived (and much of it is directly related to the success of the program since his arrival). The on court results and $'s spent necessitate recruiting improvement from when CBP first arrived at UT.

I am surprised that the facility upgrades, like most big projects, weren’t planned years in advance; long before Pearl appeared on anyone’s radar.

I am surprised that the facility upgrades, like most big projects, weren’t planned years in advance; long before Pearl appeared on anyone’s radar.

Probably because UT's previous AD thought football was the only sport on campus.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic here or not, but Pearl's success brought in additional $ and booster excitement that led to the funding of many of the upgrades.

You would be very correct. Facility improvements requiring major capital investments are planned at least ten years out.

You would be very correct. Facility improvements requiring major capital investments are planned at least ten years out.

Do me a favor and look up the history on the Pratt Pavilion. Was the planning/fund raising started in the 1990's?

speaking of Calipari,Hes done a great job.taking star players like Wall,Cousins and Bledsoe and Orton and blending them together with Patterson.....everyone of them is better than they were in Nov. they've destroyed ESTU and WFU......got to admit thats NCOY coaching....anyone agree?

Do me a favor and look up the history on the Pratt Pavilion. Was the planning/fund raising started in the 1990's?

Yes, early 90's actually. The indoor practice facility went through many designs before the final plan was drawn. UT's plan to build a practice facility didn't begin when they raised the money.

Yes, early 90's actually. The indoor practice facility went through many designs before the final plan was drawn. UT's plan to build a practice facility didn't begin when they raised the money.

Yet Pearl gets credit for the new facilities. The Man, the Myth, the Legend has no boundaries.

Yet Pearl gets credit for the new facilities. The Man, the Myth, the Legend has no boundaries.

Pearl was the coach when a major amount of the funding was raised. Is he solely responsible for facility upgrades - No. Does he deserve some credit - sure. His success has brought in more funding that back to back women's national championships did.

Pearl was the coach when a major amount of the funding was raised. Is he solely responsible for facility upgrades - No. Does he deserve some credit - sure. His success has brought in more funding that back to back women's national championships did.

And I never stated, as VolDad implied, that CBP built the facilities brick by brick or was solely responsible for them. Bottom line is that without the excitement he brought back to the program, a lot of these facility improvements don't get funded.

VN Store

Back