Ole Miss Losing More Than The Game on Sat

The chancellor told them to stop playing it because at the end of the song, a group of frat boys would yell "the south will rise again". I live about an hour from oxford and this has been an ongoing debate during the whole season. Rumor is that some recruits were turned off by this. Fact is they were probably turned off by the fact that ole miss will never be anything more than middle of the pack team at best.

If they do decide to rebel and not attend then they may send their tickets to me

Memphis fired their football coach. WKU fired their football coach. Both teams were soundly whipped by the Vols. The way things are going, you have to wonder if a loss to Tennessee will also sound the death knell for Coach Nutt. Jevan Snead and company haven't exactly lived up to the pre-season hype.

Last edited:
On a sidenote, the old disney move "Song of the South" is banned for similar reasons.

This **** is stupid and ridiculous. People will always find something to ***** about.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I believe that the "chant" is more of a sign that people have moved on than people stuck in the past. We have a Black President, I think society is now being to "politically correct", and going out of your way to appease becomes prejudice in another way. It simply says "were to ignorant to understand the difference between then and now". Seems to me to be equally if not more offensive.

The chancellor is, no doubt, a politically correct, latte sipping, global warming fighting, smug, intellectual, Azz. I am so sick of these people running around fighting these goofy causes. They do it to bring attention to themselves, and often to as a resume filler to get a higher paying job at another institution. Well, all I have to say is that the Hotty Totty song and the starched shirts and bow ties are offensive to me. Now there's Change I can Believe in that the moron can work on for a year or two.

If I were running a football program at a school with the racial history that Ole Miss does, and I had Colonel Rebel running around on the sidelines, and I had a bunch of guys waving Confederate flags and chanting crap like "the south will rise again," and I knew that I depended on recruiting young black kids to come play for my school, then I'd do everything possible to shut the rednecks up at the football games. This is just pragmatism.

If I were running a football program at a school with the racial history that Ole Miss does, and I had Colonel Rebel running around on the sidelines, and I had a bunch of guys waving Confederate flags and chanting crap like "the south will rise again," and I knew that I depended on recruiting young black kids to come play for my school, then I'd do everything possible to shut the rednecks up at the football games. This is just pragmatism.

Huh... I wasn't aware that Ole Miss had trouble recruiting young black men ? I prefer to refer to them as "young men"........... I know how stereotypical of me. You are the reason for the banning of songs and why 'pragmatism" is even needed. Think on it a minute, it will come to you.

The chancellor is, no doubt, a politically correct, latte sipping, global warming fighting, smug, intellectual, Azz. I am so sick of these people running around fighting these goofy causes. They do it to bring attention to themselves, and often to as a resume filler to get a higher paying job at another institution. Well, all I have to say is that the Hotty Totty song and the starched shirts and bow ties are offensive to me. Now there's Change I can Believe in that the moron can work on for a year or two.

Because being an intellectual is a bad thing? :huh:

Props to the Chancellor. He warned the dumbasses yelling "the South will rise again!" that if they kept on doing it, he'd remove the song completely. They did it, and he's following through.

I'm as proud of my southern heritage as the next guy, but it's instances like this that a group of people flash their ignorance and make the rest of us look bad.

People will always have something to be up in arms about.

On a side note, I can't believe this thread has dissolved to the point where we are calling each other racists.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Huh... I wasn't aware that Ole Miss had trouble recruiting young black men ? I prefer to refer to them as "young men"........... I know how stereotypical of me. You are the reason for the banning of songs and why 'pragmatism" is even needed. Think on it a minute, it will come to you.

With all due respect, I'm not even going to bother having a discussion about this with somebody who seriously thinks this:

I believe that the "chant" is more of a sign that people have moved on than people stuck in the past.

Yes, the forward-looking "south will rise again!" people of Mississippi. No doubt they're thinking of real estate and a thriving economy.

VN Store

Back