Recruiting Football Talk VII

Yep. Barnes left the door open and then someone else walked in and he promptly shut it.
Rightfully should've, no need to wait around and get left behind in the process of building a team for upcoming season.

Igor is as good as in just taking care of Visa and Lanier is a Vol according to most.

THAT is a great point.

If they think a good OL is what they need then I'm glad to see them making moves. However, would really like to see them go after some big names to increase fan excitement. A big name edge rusher like a Kearse, or big time WR. Need more athleticism.
Buddy, sorry but I think you're wrong on these takes.

The defense is the strength of the team. They'll get a LB and maybe an Edge in middle rounds but they have Harold Landry, Jeff Simmons, Arden Key, Rashaad Weaver, and picked up Joseph-Day DL and Kenneth Murray LB. But Key, Landry, and Simmons are big name rushers/DL.

Also, they already have big time WRs. Hopkins is still a Titan and they signed Calvin Ridley. Burks hasn't broke out yet, and the Titans are still interested in grabbing a 2nd or 3rd rd WR but the need to grab a 1st rd WR dropped when they signed Ridley.

They beefed up the OL with Cushenberry at C and guys like Skoronski, Charles, Radunz, Duncan, Brunskill, and Petit-Frere to fill out the G positions and RT. But the Titans don't have a high quality LT option. Joe Alt is a long-term solution and TRUE LT. They drafted Skoronski and Radunz to play LT in the last couple drafts and those guys just don't have the body for it. They're actually Gs.

If they feel comfortable enough to go through this season with a revolving door at LT and/or drafting more of a project in a later round they may trade back, build draft capital, and take a top WR or Brock Bowers later in the 1st.

But most importantly the "fan excitement" argument is a bad one. It's like the criticism for Danny White's hiring methods and people who say a splash hire is better than actually hiring the coach we need to be successful even if its unpopular at the time (Heupel, Caldwell). Winning cures fan support and excitement problems. You want full stadiums at the end of the season more than the beginning.

They're all-in on Will Levis. He's got his problems but he's also proven promising. If they don't draft Joe Alt you run the risk of having to finish the season with Mason Rudolph or worse - Malik Willis.

any of you know anything about honey bees? Man at work says his neighbor has a few hives. He said one of the hives went crazy. If anything gets anywhere near them, they attack. Not just a few bees, but the entire hive attacks. Said his neighbor's dog got attacked and they attacked his neighbor (the beekeeper) while mowing the yard. He explained it like a pissed off yellow jacket attack, but with thousands more honey bees.

He says the guy has had the same hive for a few years and they just suddenly became enraged. He also said it wasn't a one-time attack. They attacked the man and dog one day, then the man again the next day and then again yesterday morning. Apparently the beekeeper is gonna execute the hive.

Any idea why a normally docile hive will flip out like that and attack anything living with 100' of the hive? I kinda wonder if a carpenter bee got into the hive. . . but I dont know if they would even act that way if something like that happened.

I've never really heard of honey bees attacking like killer bees.
Sounds like they were re-queened with an Africanized queen. If they have been re-queened that queen will produce all the offspring of the hive and they will all be Africanized. Remedy: Find the queen and kill her. The hive will produce an new queen.
The hive will be hot until the present bees die off ( a couple months). I would move it to a remote location.

Imo it means Aidoo can no longer return. The 5 spot vs Awaka is a 4. Awaka maybe could still. If Igor commits, awakas spot is gone. Imo
Aidoo was never allowed to return. He burnt bridges. Besides, it appears he's going to Baylor.

Awaka had an open door due to the circumstances of him leaving and maintaining a good relationship and communication. Igor coming probably wouldn't affect Awaka. But Awaka was given parameters/deadlines to return and didn't meet them. His door is closed and he's likely to go back closer to home like he originally intended.

*this is all information I've gathered from the experts/insiders in the BB Forum over the last several weeks*

Buddy, sorry but I think you're wrong on these takes.

The defense is the strength of the team. They'll get a LB and maybe an Edge in middle rounds but they have Harold Landry, Jeff Simmons, Arden Key, Rashaad Weaver, and picked up Joseph-Day DL and Kenneth Murray LB. But Key, Landry, and Simmons are big name rushers/DL.

Also, they already have big time WRs. Hopkins is still a Titan and they signed Calvin Ridley. Burks hasn't broke out yet, and the Titans are still interested in grabbing a 2nd or 3rd rd WR but the need to grab a 1st rd WR dropped when they signed Ridley.

They beefed up the OL with Cushenberry at C and guys like Skoronski, Charles, Radunz, Duncan, Brunskill, and Petit-Frere to fill out the G positions and RT. But the Titans don't have a high quality LT option. Joe Alt is a long-term solution and TRUE LT. They drafted Skoronski and Radunz to play LT in the last couple drafts and those guys just don't have the body for it. They're actually Gs.

If they feel comfortable enough to go through this season with a revolving door at LT and/or drafting more of a project in a later round they may trade back, build draft capital, and take a top WR or Brock Bowers later in the 1st.

But most importantly the "fan excitement" argument is a bad one. It's like the criticism for Danny White's hiring methods and people who say a splash hire is better than actually hiring the coach we need to be successful even if its unpopular at the time (Heupel, Caldwell). Winning cures fan support and excitement problems. You want full stadiums at the end of the season more than the beginning.

They're all-in on Will Levis. He's got his problems but he's also proven promising. If they don't draft Joe Alt you run the risk of having to finish the season with Mason Rudolph or worse - Malik Willis.
hope so.

Reactions: knoxvol52
any of you know anything about honey bees? Man at work says his neighbor has a few hives. He said one of the hives went crazy. If anything gets anywhere near them, they attack. Not just a few bees, but the entire hive attacks. Said his neighbor's dog got attacked and they attacked his neighbor (the beekeeper) while mowing the yard. He explained it like a pissed off yellow jacket attack, but with thousands more honey bees.

He says the guy has had the same hive for a few years and they just suddenly became enraged. He also said it wasn't a one-time attack. They attacked the man and dog one day, then the man again the next day and then again yesterday morning. Apparently the beekeeper is gonna execute the hive.

Any idea why a normally docile hive will flip out like that and attack anything living with 100' of the hive? I kinda wonder if a carpenter bee got into the hive. . . but I dont know if they would even act that way if something like that happened.

I've never really heard of honey bees attacking like killer bees.
My FIL long kept several hives at our former house (which he owned) before we got our own place. Great honey! We would help him a little, but mostly two of his close friends worked them with him. We never encountered anything on that scale, and I've never heard of it. We're out of town but I'll ask him when we get back.

Smoke from pine straw generally settles bees down if they get rowdy. He had some handheld tins with sprayer that they would burn pine straw in and use sometimes if they had to go into the boxes. Pine straw may have only been incidental, and any smoke would work. Idk. It smokes easily. Uncanny how the bees would slow and settle

In a bee suit your guy might make some pine straw (or other) small smoky fires around the boxes and see what happened. I mean something more than a small sprayer, if the smoke from a sprayer didn't seem like enough. It couldn't hurt. I've never seen bees rampage. I've seen a few threaten someone standing by accident in their "bee line" or route near the hive as they were gathering from their find and returning to unload in the box.

They get pretty wild when a queen leaves the hive, but as soon as they find where she has landed, they literally swarm her making a giant cluster. And they're easy to handle like that. If you can get a scoop with a net that includes her and drop her into a new box, they will all pour in. It looks like you're a pouring a liquid stream of bees. An amazing thing to see.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back