Decadent Western Culture Thread

What you are not accounting for is that the 1950s mores were self-serving for only some people. Trump supporters are the epitome of selfish. They want to return to conditions which benefitted them.
Ah yes, the 1950’s. A veritable paradise of halcyon days for us white people in Appalachia. My father and both grandparents traveling from town to town looking for work in whatever coal mines were producing at the moment and not in the continuous strikes of the day. All the while breathing in the coal dust that coated their lungs and eventually killed my father in his mid 50s. Also, not being able to afford a house to live in and hopping from drafty rental to rental. My family did eventually manage to settle into a small shack with a coal stove and no running water or indoor plumbing. Indeed, we lived like veritable kings I tell you. Thankfully we avoided the polio and TB outbreaks. Yes of course we would selfishly LOVE to go back to those days like you suggest. Those conditions were SO “beneficial” for us 🙄
Listen, I know even us poor whites had it MUCH better than poor African Americans of the day. But life was pretty brutal for 90% of all Southerners overall in the 50s. It wasn’t some Ozzie and Harriet or Leave it to Beaver episode. I can’t speak for all Trump supporters (and am not actually one myself); but I can honestly say I wish to go forward, not backwards, into a future where EVERYONE has a better life and a bigger slice of the American dream. I want (like JFK), a rising tide that lifts all boats. But when I look at where things are headed right now, I fear that my children will actually end up living a worse life than me; thanks in large part to the party you claim to support. Inflation is KILLING working class families. Wages can’t keep up with prices. College has become obscenely expensive. Automobiles cost multiple times what the house i grew up in (my second one WITH indoor plumbing thankfully) cost. And speaking of homes, the average 20 something can barely afford rent even if they split it with one or more roommates and can only dream of actually affording a home someday. Biden is absolutely destroying the American Dream but you actually call the people opposed to him “selfish” merely for wishing to leave a better world for their offspring. And of course BOTH parties are responsible for the crippling national debt and for printing money like it is going out of style. So I don’t want to place all the blame on Joe. I Just don’t understand your worldview at all.
True conservatives don’t wish to turn back the clock because we know there never was any golden age to which one would wish to return. What we do want to “conserve” are the lessons and wisdom we painfully learned through all those difficult times. There are no new ideas under the sun and we should strive to examine history and learn which ones worked best. Classical liberalism, limited government, capitalism, fiscal restraint, personal morality and responsibility, and freedom seem to have given better results than collectivism, central planning, overly powerful government, censorship, overspending, and personal promiscuity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf
Tucker nails it on evil. You don't have to be some great malicious person, just a weak person. This is why you should beware the polite smiley gladhands of this world. This is why the world has become so decadent, a lack of faith, and a weak spirit.

What you are not accounting for is that the 1950s mores were self-serving for only some people. Trump supporters are the epitome of selfish. They want to return to conditions which benefitted them.
Um. Are they begging the government (taxpayers) to pay off their student loans because they wracked up so much debt you might think they went to Harvard but they only went to community college for 6 years and have nothing to show for it?

Tucker nails it on evil. You don't have to be some great malicious person, just a weak person. This is why you should beware the polite smiley gladhands of this world. This is why the world has become so decadent, a lack of faith, and a weak spirit.

Tucker would never try to grift anyone now would he?

View attachment 635883

British writer J. K. Rowling, having sold her mansion in Britain, bought an apartment in Moscow with a view of Moscow City. She made this decision due to the fact that in her homeland, she was bullied for speaking out against transgender people and refusing to accept their philosophy, promoting "normality".

"Russia is the last state where I can call a spade a spade with impunity. Here I am, a woman, not a human with a vagina, as they believe in Britain," the writer lady said. Rowling also added that it is very strange for her that in the modern world, you have to fight for your right to be normal lady. And in Russia it is not necessary to do this, which is why Russia has become her choice and a stronghold of traditional values, which she, like all normal people, adheres to.

I dont think this is legit - fake news.

Reactions: OrangeTsar

100 percent spot on Sargent. Weak people make it possible for the truly evil people to be effective. The absolute depravity of the Third Reich started with the Nazi leadership; but would have been just lunatic ravings without the millions of citizens and civil servants who daily went to their jobs and kept their heads down while the evil metastasized into actual horror. Monsters can’t function without minions. And they really can’t function without complaint sheep

Ah yes, the 1950’s. A veritable paradise of halcyon days for us white people in Appalachia. My father and both grandparents traveling from town to town looking for work in whatever coal mines were producing at the moment and not in the continuous strikes of the day. All the while breathing in the coal dust that coated their lungs and eventually killed my father in his mid 50s. Also, not being able to afford a house to live in and hopping from drafty rental to rental. My family did eventually manage to settle into a small shack with a coal stove and no running water or indoor plumbing. Indeed, we lived like veritable kings I tell you. Thankfully we avoided the polio and TB outbreaks. Yes of course we would selfishly LOVE to go back to those days like you suggest. Those conditions were SO “beneficial” for us 🙄
Listen, I know even us poor whites had it MUCH better than poor African Americans of the day. But life was pretty brutal for 90% of all Southerners overall in the 50s. It wasn’t some Ozzie and Harriet or Leave it to Beaver episode. I can’t speak for all Trump supporters (and am not actually one myself); but I can honestly say I wish to go forward, not backwards, into a future where EVERYONE has a better life and a bigger slice of the American dream. I want (like JFK), a rising tide that lifts all boats. But when I look at where things are headed right now, I fear that my children will actually end up living a worse life than me; thanks in large part to the party you claim to support. Inflation is KILLING working class families. Wages can’t keep up with prices. College has become obscenely expensive. Automobiles cost multiple times what the house i grew up in (my second one WITH indoor plumbing thankfully) cost. And speaking of homes, the average 20 something can barely afford rent even if they split it with one or more roommates and can only dream of actually affording a home someday. Biden is absolutely destroying the American Dream but you actually call the people opposed to him “selfish” merely for wishing to leave a better world for their offspring. And of course BOTH parties are responsible for the crippling national debt and for printing money like it is going out of style. So I don’t want to place all the blame on Joe. I Just don’t understand your worldview at all.
True conservatives don’t wish to turn back the clock because we know there never was any golden age to which one would wish to return. What we do want to “conserve” are the lessons and wisdom we painfully learned through all those difficult times. There are no new ideas under the sun and we should strive to examine history and learn which ones worked best. Classical liberalism, limited government, capitalism, fiscal restraint, personal morality and responsibility, and freedom seem to have given better results than collectivism, central planning, overly powerful government, censorship, overspending, and personal promiscuity.
Ditto. Well said

Reactions: OrangeTsar
100 percent spot on Sargent. Weak people make it possible for the truly evil people to be effective. The absolute depravity of the Third Reich started with the Nazi leadership; but would have been just lunatic ravings without the millions of citizens and civil servants who daily went to their jobs and kept their heads down while the evil metastasized into actual horror. Monsters can’t function without minions. And they really can’t function without complaint sheep
Right? Who was a better example of such weakness then Neville Chamberlain. That man had a backbone of steel compared to the GOP leadership today.

Tucker would never try to grift anyone now would he?
Why is it that people (both sides) automatically assume someone is a grifter just because they have a differing opinion? I have no insight into Tucker’s true motivations; but he was apparently willing to lose an incredibly lucrative long term contract with Fox by continuing to defy his bosses. He may eventually make more on his own; but the gamble to me doesn’t seem like the effort of a mere grifter, especially considering the fairly ironclad no compete clause attached.
That said, I agree with much of what Tucker says; but his apparent love for Putin totally mystifies me.

Reactions: Sgt_Nick_Fury
Why is it that people (both sides) automatically assume someone is a grifter just because they have a differing opinion? I have no insight into Tucker’s true motivations; but he was apparently willing to lose an incredibly lucrative long term contract with Fox by continuing to defy his bosses. He may eventually make more on his own; but the gamble to me doesn’t seem like the effort of a mere grifter, especially considering the fairly ironclad no compete clause attached.
That said, I agree with much of what Tucker says; but his apparent love for Putin totally mystifies me.
I don't assume that he's a grifter. He's proven it quite a few times. He'd lie, get called out, then say 'hey my show's entertainment, not news, anyone can see that'. He appears to be a very bright boy. Too bad he's a slug.

I don't assume that he's a grifter. He's proven it quite a few times. He'd lie, get called out, then say 'hey my show's entertainment, not news, anyone can see that'. He appears to be a very bright boy. Too bad he's a slug.
If he is a grifter, then he isn’t a very bright one. He was making $20 million a year at Fox; but threw it away for not just no guaranteed opportunity; but a certain no compete clause. So he is either not a grifter at all or else he is not “a very bright boy”. I don’t see how you can logically make both claims simultaneously.
If he were a grifter, he could have stayed at Fox while continuing to write books and make extra income on the side without violating his contract. Only an idiot jumps off a ship without having a lifeboat standing by

Millenials, Z, and Alpha kids are going to find out the hardway what the cost of this will be. Don't expect to retire......ever.

Retire? They are trying to live right now! They can't think about 30 years down the line when there are few jobs and the jobs that are out here for them are not keeping up with galloping inflation.

I would like to take you seriously because you do put your finger on the problems. But with you supporting this nonsense that our Congress did this weekend, you support the very thing that has been robbing current and future generations of Americans. Our foreign policy since WWII, but particularly after the fall of the USSR, has stolen trillions of $$$ from us all.

Right? Who was a better example of such weakness then Neville Chamberlain. That man had a backbone of steel compared to the GOP leadership today.
I am so tired of this Neville Chamberlain nonsense. That one event is used as an excuse by us in The West to not engage in diplomacy.

I would like to take you seriously because you do put your finger on the problems. But with you supporting this nonsense that our Congress did this weekend, you support the very thing that has been robbing current and future generations of Americans. Our foreign policy since WWII, but particularly after the fall of the USSR, has stolen trillions of $$$ from us all.
Where in the name of HECK do you get the impress that I supported what Congress did last weekend?????
I am livid and have already called my Republican congressman with my complain. He didn’t vote for it but I did tell him Mikey Johnson has to be replaced as speaker.
I think sometimes you get confused i where I stand. Regarding Ukraine, I want to see Putin lose but I don’t want to see our nation bankrupted to pay for it. And it scares the heck out of me to see that we are now sending “advisors” to Ukraine, shades of the path to Vietnam all over again. Biden and Congress are plata dangerous game and I am scared he is going to sleepwalk us into WWIII

Where in the name of HECK do you get the impress that I supported what Congress did last weekend?????
I am livid and have already called my Republican congressman with my complain. He didn’t vote for it but I did tell him Mikey Johnson has to be replaced as speaker.
I think sometimes you get confused i where I stand. Regarding Ukraine, I want to see Putin lose but I don’t want to see our nation bankrupted to pay for it. And it scares the heck out of me to see that we are now sending “advisors” to Ukraine, shades of the path to Vietnam all over again. Biden and Congress are plata dangerous game and I am scared he is going to sleepwalk us into WWIII

Billions to Israel is okay by me, especially considering that we basically watched the Holocaust developing for almost a decade before we finally entered the War. And we probably wouldn’t have done that if the Japanese hadn’t been stupid enough to bomb Pearl Harbor.
Besides, support for Israel is a wise investment. It comes with a biblical promiseView attachment 635929

Ah, I see. Yes. I Support aid to Israel but think we have spent enough on Ukraine
Regardless I am disgusted with Speaker Johnson for teaming yup with the Democrats to pass it.
I don’t see a contradiction though in supporting history’s most persecuted people while simultaneously being opposed to funding an i winnable war that threatens to drag us into WWIII

Ah, I see. Yes. I Support aid to Israel but think we have spent enough on Ukraine
Regardless I am disgusted with Speaker Johnson for teaming yup with the Democrats to pass it.
I don’t see a contradiction though in supporting history’s most persecuted people while simultaneously being opposed to funding an i winnable war that threatens to drag us into WWIII
You are not very bright...

While Congress Abandons Border, $3.5 Billion Slipped Into Israel Bill For 'Migrants And Refugees'

The dims always make that argument of "going to the 50s.... you must be a racist and selfish. Socialism spurs selfishness, captialism doesn't

the fact our kids are going to struggle financially the constant increase in debt. these last couple of generations would have no problem turning over America's 401k if it could help mother earth. Those are the teachings of current America.

VN Store

Back