Awaka to the portal

I must admit that I had major concerns about NIL, but overall I am happy that it has happened. I think it evens the playing field for places like Tennessee, where we really want to do it the right way.

I do agree about the play for pay aspect though. At least we can now go out and find his replacement, and dream that it will be another homerun hit, like Knecht was.
The problem is like it’s always been. Not everyone is going to do it the “right way”. Tampering is an issue.

No offense but why are you making stuff up to fit some narrative that Rick doesn’t use NIL? First off coaches have no say over the collective they might offer them input but anything else is against the rules as we know.

Second this is a false narrative the staff has interviews with each player prior to them entering the portal. There is a lot of variables at play especially when there is a set budget, but when you have young guys like Estrella and Phillips waiting for their turn and you have a guy who is undersized at the position and who is still limited on the offensive end outside of 5 feet tough decisions have to be made for both parties.

To say we are not ready when have put team after team into the NCAA Tournament a long with sec championships during the NIL era is simply false on all accounts

The roster is nowhere near set for next year, can you not wait till after summer before spreading false information about our NIL?
Also, Doug Matthews recently said that TN is well ahead of NIL and many programs are trying to follow suit. While Matthews is a talking head for TN athletics, he wouldn’t approach the subject if it wasn’t a fact. He made a general comment stating TN has a strong NIL program- for all sports.

Awaka may have left for NIL but most likely for more minutes.

This happened all the time prior to NIL too it’s just social media keeps trying to amplify the “reasons” why to justify some argument against NIL…don’t succumb to that narrative
Well players certainly transferred but it wasn’t nearly as prevalent due to having to sit out a year. And we can lament the effects of NIL but nobody can argue its existence. It’s here to stay. But combine NIL with the transfer portal and it’s not a “narrative”, it’s just fact. It has never been tougher to be a college coach. The successful ones will adjust. The ones that can’t won’t make it. The ones that can retire will hang it up.

Aidoo is rangy and 6'11 and is an all SEC defensive player

Estrella is 6'11 with a big body and solid feet. While he isn't as rangy as Aidoo he has much better potential offensively. He was really coming on late in the year and the writing was on the wall he was going to be a much bigger part of the picture next year.

Tobe is 6'7. We can call him a power forward all we want but he cannot score outside of 5 feet nor dribble so you cannot play him with another big man with any regularity as it causes spacing problems. He was a 5 man. He is a nice duck in guy IF the other bigs are not super tall or if they are tall but not physical. However against tall and physical centers he was very limited on O. He was a great offensive rebounder with a nice motor but he isn't the rim protector the other two are because he is shorter. He is typically in great position defensively because he is physical but that has much less value in today's game than it used to a few years back now that you basically cannot take a charge. Your bigs need to be able to contest shots above the rim with length to be great defenders. Being in position isn't enough.

I would love to have kept Tobe as he has shown he is capable of doing some nice things and brings a physical presence, but ultimately those 3 guys above are all good players who tons of teams would covet as starters but none of their skill sets are conducive to playing together. All 3 coming back was a pipe dream in this era.

Wishing Tobe the best and appreciate his time as a vol. Always played hard. Aidoo and Estrella will be a nice duo in the front court next year. Would love to add a 4 man in the portal with an offensive skillset to provide space.

Undersized overachiever. He needs to go to a mid major to get the minutes that he craves. If he's not willing to work as hard as this program demands, I wish him well. Estrella has a much bigger upside.

This really sucks, but I like that kid.
I hope he does well as long as he doesn't wind up playing for a Vol opponent.

Reactions: jp1
I hear since Coach Cal is giving up on the one and dones. CRB is going to take over that roll and show him how its done.

Undersized overachiever. He needs to go to a mid major to get the minutes that he craves. If he's not willing to work as hard as this program demands, I wish him well. Estrella has a much bigger upside.
I understand the frustration, but this isn’t true. Awaka will get starter minutes on a good team, he’s not remotely a mid-major player.

Sure, if we are talking one or the other. I just hate not keeping both, from a fan's standpoint, because they are OUR dudes. For sure need to keep Aidoo.
Fans will support whoever is on the roster. Losing Awaka isn't going to cause some exodus of fans. Maybe for the casuals, but they are wishy washy anyway

Aidoo is rangy and 6'11 and is an all SEC defensive player

Estrella is 6'11 with a big body and solid feet. While he isn't as rangy as Aidoo he has much better potential offensively. He was really coming on late in the year and the writing was on the wall he was going to be a much bigger part of the picture next year.

Tobe is 6'7. We can call him a power forward all we want but he cannot score outside of 5 feet nor dribble so you cannot play him with another big man with any regularity as it causes spacing problems. He was a 5 man. He is a nice duck in guy IF the other bigs are not super tall or if they are tall but not physical. However against tall and physical centers he was very limited on O. He was a great offensive rebounder with a nice motor but he isn't the rim protector the other two are because he is shorter. He is typically in great position defensively because he is physical but that has much less value in today's game than it used to a few years back now that you basically cannot take a charge. Your bigs need to be able to contest shots above the rim with length to be great defenders. Being in position isn't enough.

I would love to have kept Tobe as he has shown he is capable of doing some nice things and brings a physical presence, but ultimately those 3 guys above are all good players who tons of teams would covet as starters but none of their skill sets are conducive to playing together. All 3 coming back was a pipe dream in this era.

Wishing Tobe the best and appreciate his time as a vol. Always played hard. Aidoo and Estrella will be a nice duo in the front court next year. Would love to add a 4 man in the portal with an offensive skillset to provide space.

Could see Awaka being a pretty good asset to a team that runs a screen heavy offensive set much like you see at UConn. He fits the mold of one of their pieces last year - Adama Sonogo. Setting screens for the shooters and then collapsing in for the rebound and some easy paint points.

Sonogo is 6'9", Tobe is 6'8", similar frames and builds. If he could get over his propensity to pick up stupid fouls, he could be a real force in a system like that.

I think Aidoo is very capable of being a dominate center. Needs to put on a little weight so he isn't pushed around on the floor, and find an aggressive mindset. He has the height, just needs the weight, and time in the strength and conditioning program.
I agree with your statement overall, but not sure one can "find an aggressive mindset". My concern is that the lack of aggression is not fixable in Aidoo's case. We need a center with a mindset somewhere between Plavsic and Aidoo.

Well players certainly transferred but it wasn’t nearly as prevalent due to having to sit out a year. And we can lament the effects of NIL but nobody can argue its existence. It’s here to stay. But combine NIL with the transfer portal and it’s not a “narrative”, it’s just fact. It has never been tougher to be a college coach. The successful ones will adjust. The ones that can’t won’t make it. The ones that can retire will hang it up.
Or you could offer that it's never been easier for people at major programs. You can land an All-American, national player of the year candidate in the portal.

If Awaka doesn't want to be here, I wish him well and hope he prospers unless it's against Tennessee.

Aidoo, Mashack and ZZ. All of them have been courted. ZZ is practically family. Hard to imagine him going. The other two are thinking.
Again— Getting past 5 today is a psychological barrier. They have agreed to decide by then, but they don’t have to. I’ll breathe a sigh, but will worry for awhile.

Are we suppose to feel sorry for coaches who knew the turnover rate and responsibilities prior to entering the profession when they get paid more then some doctors to do said job?

Aidoo, Mashack and ZZ. All of them have been courted. ZZ is practically family. Hard to imagine him going. The other two are thinking.
If ZZ left that would literally be the biggest slap to the face to the fans, university, etc.

The ones that you know, helped change his and his families lives.

Again— Getting past 5 today is a psychological barrier. They have agreed to decide by then, but they don’t have to. I’ll breathe a sigh, but will worry for awhile.

Believe the portal closes on May 1st, so may need to keep one eye open until then

VN Store

Back