Awaka to the portal

Every core member of the team has an offer somewhere else of more money and more minutes. We are not handling either aspect well this year. While NIL has changed things, it has never been like this, and we aren’t ready.
If so, that's really inexcusable. This didn't just come out of nowhere and there should be plenty of funds available.

It is time to face the facts about Awake and Aidoo. First, Awake is 6'7 and hass a solid, in the paint , offensive game. However, his range in very limited and has no offensive game outside of 10 feet. He has improved his free throw percentage which helped him this year. Defensively, he has limits when he is defending Players who are taller than him and/or have an offensive game which is out to 15 feet. His attitude is really good and he played a tough game of basketball. His real game is as a 4 but his offensive skills are not yet capable of playing the 4 in the SEC. I hate to see him in the portal but is likely the best for him to get more playing time.

Aidoo on the other hand, is 7' tall and runs the floor well for his size. He is capable of have very good offensive games when his attitude is aggressive. However, one can never depend on his attitude to be aggressive. He has worked on his offense but still seems to be inconsistent outside 10 feet. He needs to improve his strength, rebound with authority, and protect the rim. I think he can improve in these areas, with hard work and the correct attitude. His improvement is up to him and his attitude. He did improve his play and attitude in many games this year, but seem to regress in his game time attitude. His further will be determined by his approach to improving his weaknesses and attitude. I hope he stays and becomes the player he can be. It is up to him and his desire to become great player.
Despite being a year older, I still think Aidoo has more room to grow than Awaka.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Estrella will get major minutes next year. Aidoo may see this and decide
his best bet will also be to leave. Can't blame any of them. We should
hope Philips stays around, there is no guarantee of this either.

Why would Aidoo decide it's his best bet to leave?

I'll say this about Tobe Awaka. I really hate to lose him. I really do. He's one of my favorite players. But if he can't stay on the floor because of his undisciplined defense, then he wasn't likely to see more minutes anyway. He will go get paid more money elsewhere, but honestly, his fouling is what kept him from more playing time, so no guarantees on that front at his next stop. Best of luck to him going forward unless they play the Vols.
Well put, and I completely agree. He seemed to regress in his ability to guard without fouling this year, and there was simply no way to keep him on the floor for long stretches as a result.

Every core member of the team has an offer somewhere else of more money and more minutes. We are not handling either aspect well this year. While NIL has changed things, it has never been like this, and we aren’t ready.
That’s really interesting. May be a bit of an NIL-homer thing, but The Vol Club has - to me - always seemed to be ahead of the curve in football and - to this point - basketball. Wonder what’s different this year.

Estrella will get major minutes next year. Aidoo may see this and decide
his best bet will also be to leave. Can't blame any of them. We should
hope Philips stays around, there is no guarantee of this either.
I think the off season for Both Estella and Phillips will be major in their development. They have a taste of the game and seem to want to put in the work to develop into good players. I look forward to seeing them this Fall.

Why would Aidoo decide it's his best bet to leave?
As I said, his minutes may be affected by Estrella taking more of a role.
Am I mis-stating this? Don't they play the same position?

In my mind, Estrella could become the starter. Will Aidoo accept lest minutes?

Sounds like it’s more for a bag than significant PT increase, top two schools I’ve heard are South Carolina and the pitino experience in NYC

What happens at 5?
I’m not sure anything will happen at five that is binding; however, I recall seeing in another thread that the coaching staff asked the players to make up their minds about entering the portal by 5 o’clock today. I do not know whether that is a true rule-imposed deadline, or just a reasonable request from the coaching staff.

I can't say that I blame him. He is not playing in the NBA, and this is his year to cash in and maybe improve the situation that his parents can see him play. Doesnt make it any easier for a Vol Fan to take the bad news. Wish the young man luck.

If so, that's really inexcusable. This didn't just come out of nowhere and there should be plenty of funds available.
For better or worse, we all have to remember we’re in the middle of an NCAA investigation. Impotent or not, it changes behavior. As a big Barnes fan, I also have to say he’s a year behind on the market and the aggressiveness around NIL.

Now we get to see if Barnes can land a big man from the portal.
Read your post and think about it for a minute...
This sums up college football and basketball in one sentence.
Complete lunacy!
You guys can have it, I’m walking away while I still have a good mind and can remember the good days of Grant and Admiral and Dale Jones and Peyton.
RIP “college” athletics, it’s been a fun ride.
😞

Reactions: knoxvol52
Complete lunacy!
You guys can have it, I’m walking away while I still have a good mind and can remember the good days of Grant and Admiral and Dale Jones and Peyton.
😞
You will be missed.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I think Rick is committed to 4 guard basketball now, and that means another year of both Aidoo and Awaka means Estrella gets blocked from playing time again.

Complete lunacy!
😞
It’s happening in the Girl Scouts too. My neighbors bought all the thin mints before I even had a chance to order. Two boxes per household! That’s the rule.

VN Store

Back