Recruiting Football Talk VII

Oh I am. I think it's about as good a hire he could make given the circumstances. I would be lying though if I didn't have concerns about her lack of experience. I've often said that no program at UT should be the learning ground for coaches. There's a lot.to like about her but experience isn't one of those things.
I would rather have a good coach that plays exciting ball that has to learn recruiting than the other way. Will be some growing pains but will work out hopefully.

Lack of experience at this level is a concern of mine too. Every year removed from competing for championships you become less relevant. Just like in football kids have to hear about how you used to dominate the sport. With every year, established coaches are less attracted to your program. It was allowed to flounder for too long. Remember when Old Dominion and LA Tech were powerhouses in women's basketball? Yeah, most don't. Of course you knew all of that. 😅

I give DW a little slack because it's not viewed as the job it.used to be. My hope is she's the rising star that she appears to be. (Some of my excitement is simply: its not Kellie 😂)
I agree with you, InVOL. I generally do. There are two decisions with transitions-- and getting one of them right isn't enough. Personally, I thought Holly and Kellie were both given too long, given the standards and expectations of the program. As you point out, powerhouse programs don't stay that way when they're neglected. Many people don't realize how much recruiting has fallen off. In-state players do not want to come to UT. Top talent like Rhyne Howard don't even want to talk to UT. Even legacy players look elsewhere. Kellie had strong headwinds with recruiting and NIL. I don't think keeping her long-term was the right choice, but I, like many, think UT needed to fix internal issues before blowing it all up.

Anyway, it's been fun conversing with you on here. Think I've overstayed my welcome, though. Seems like a good time to step away.

Last edited:
You win with players. She's not going to compete in the SEC unless she gets the players. And she's going to be portal shopping with the same NIL that the past staff couldn't make work. I hope she can do more with less.
She took over Marshall's embarassing program that couldn't compete in the Sun Belt for 50+ years. She took those players and signed a big time portal class of backups at the P5 level. Including signing the Hayes sisters (one played at UT). Then all she did was dominate that league.

She had to have recruited her a$$ off last spring to get these girls to play for a D2 coach at an abysmal program like Marshall.

So let's wait and see what she's able to pull together in the portal before we criticize her recruiting ability here. Yes, the SEC is a different animal when it comes to the competition, but its no more of a challenge imo. It's just the next step up the ladder.

The hardest challenge she will have is getting the current roster in enough shape to play her scheme.

You win with players. She's not going to compete in the SEC unless she gets the players. And she's going to be portal shopping with the same NIL that the past staff couldn't make work. I hope she can do more with less.
So get on board…the ladies have their own NIL collective if the fans want to return to their glory days then get on board. First thing Kim will do is get boosters ready to spend either through public appearances which we have seen from coaches at other universities or she will tell them we won’t get the caliber of player to win in the SEC, it’s that’s simple.

Part of the coaches responsibility is organizing a collective effort from the fanbase, NIL didn’t fail
Kellie…but she did fail in getting the fanbase to donate, you want to know why? Because they didn’t believe in her, which goes a long with the fact she wasn’t a very good coach to begin with.

You cared earlier today. That's why you "tried" to correct me. 🤨
How did I "correct " you? I said it was most likely a stat sheet. You think it's talking points for his interview. You or I don't really know do we? However, I've been around basketball most of my 50plus years as a player, head coach, assistant coach and I have run high school tournaments as a director and have helped run tournaments. And currently I'm still in the game of basketball, it's my employment. So I do know that stat sheets are handed out at halftime and at the end of these games. That's why I think that's probably what he has in his hand. Again, it doesn't really matter anyway as I don't care either way.

Dunbar would have benefited from a Caldwell offensive scheme.

But Dunbar is also a sucker for attention on social media though lol. I would know, I had class with her 😂
i know that as well bc i stalked her on social media. JK 😂…. My daughter use to be trained by her some so i was friends with her on instagram.

VN Store

Back