Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

For those following, Cora (from KNS) has updated her coaching hotboard to include five new coaches:

1. Brenda Frese (this name has gotten a lot of traction by talking heads the last two days)
2. Kevin McGuff (Ohio State)
3. Lisa Fortier (Gonzaga)
4. Niki Collen (Baylor)
5. Carla Berube (Princeton) this is an interesting one. She's 100-17 and has never missed an NCAA tournament since taking over in 2019, including an upset win over KY in 2022 - the same KY team that took out top ranked SC in the SECT.

Edited to add that Carla Berube has a 484–113 (.811) lifetime coaching record. Seems like she'd be a much safer version of our ex head coach from Marshall.
I'll vote for Kevin McGuff. Excellent offensive system. Play an exciting style. Could bring the Jaloni Cambridge home.

Eight years ago, deep in the woods of West Virginia, a young woman stumbled through a door at tiny Glenville State college. The school
was experiencing hard times--it had only 311 students and 3 majors---Coal Mining, Appalachia Wood Carving and Steep Hill Farming. A recent fire had destroyed much of the 3-building campus, sparing only the old barn that served as the gym for the school's women's basketball team, the only team the school could afford to support, and that one only barely. The gym had wooden backboards and old aluminum lawn chairs for seats. The Pioneer players played in their bare feet--there was no money for shoes. The coach had abandoned the team a few weeks earlier---midway through its 11-game schedule--running off with a bootlegger who'd stolen her father's car.

The young woman at the door was a waif, as pitiable as the school. Her clothes were tattered, her hair a tangled mess. She'd run away from the tumbledown cabin where she lived with six sisters, four brothers and several cats. Her parents, poor and beaten down by hard luck, spent most of their time staring at a black-and-white TV. The young woman fled in the night, seeking a better life. She had in her possession only a threadbare sack and an uncooked potato.

The school president, a former used-car dealer named Amos, asked the young woman what was in the sack. She pulled out... an old basketball. She told Amos that she love basketball--it was the only joy in her life. She used to dribble the ball on a dirt path around her family's cabin until her father, tired of the thumping sound, threatened to shoot the ball with his shotgun. She would sneak into local high-school games, where she learned the rudiments of basketball tactics and team motivation by observing the coaches scream at their players. "I've only got a fourth-grade education," she admitted to Amos, "but I know a little bit about basketball." Amos scratched his stubble and replied: "We need a basketball coach."

And thus began the most unusual Division II success story of all time. Under the young woman's tutelage, the barefoot Pioneers of Glenville State won all five of its remaining games by whopping margins. The new, unknown coach never yelled at her charges, only whispered in their ears during timeouts. And, yet, so fast and furious was the team's style of play that the court's floorboards started to crack. Amos, encouraged by the team's unexpected success, expanded the schedule to 30 games, gave the new and mysterious coach a $15 raise and, thanks to a donation from a Coal Dust Rectification company, bought the team new sneakers. The next season the Pioneers went 29-1, and from there the team dominated the modest Mountain East Conference for the next seven seasons--averaging 212 points a game. For all the success, the team's 40 fans could leaern little about their astounding whiz of a coach. She'd ride off on a bike after every practice and game, disappearing into the woods that she knew best. There were rumors that she lived in a tent and read books by John Wooden by lantern light at night. But they were only rumors. All anyone could say with certainty was her name....Kim Stephens.

This is the most underappreciated posts in years.

We can only hope that AD White puts as much effort into the coaching search as the effort that went into writing this mini-masterpiece.

"...a threadbare sack and an uncooked potato."

Priceless!

I know most of you won’t believe me… but…. tonight I spoke with a friend who is a donor….and it turns out a large number of donors who give A LOT have been unhappy with Kellie and Jon….who have not been warm, remember donor names, etc. like Pat did. They have been complaining to DW. So, finally, DW talked with the players, who had nothing much good to say about Kellie and Jon.

It’s hard to believe because Kellie’s publicist persons is all smiles.
I met Kellie at Calhoun’s when I was there to listen to Coach Hype - she was friendly & extremely gracious. She was standing on steps on the outside patio and I was near her, I smiled and told her I loved watching her play and coach. She smiled back, thanked me, and reached her hand out to shake mine. My husband said, skooch closer and I’ll take a picture. I told him I didn’t want to bother her, and she said, it’s no bother at all and pulled me towards her, put her arm around me, and he took the picture. Then, last year at the hotel (my sister and I didn’t know when we made reservations, but we were in the same hotel as the team) we rode down the elevator together. She looked at me, smiled, and said “you look familiar”. I told her we met briefly the year before at Calhoun’s and wished her luck. She again, was friendly and gracious.

I grew up loving the Tennessee Volunteers, watching all our teams play, and loving them all. I love and appreciate her but, as hard as it is to tell one of our amazing VFLs she wasn’t working out as our coach, it needed to be done.

Here’s to moving forward while appreciating the efforts of our two coaches who followed Coach Pat Summitt.

I’ve learned over time when someone expresses a lack of warmth toward “some big donors” they’re usually talking about 1-2 people they know who might give $2,500 a year. Hardly the type of person who moves the needle.
It’s more like 10,000 a season since Pat started coaching. My uncle recruited under the table for TN football in the 1970s and Pat and Mickey went to Boise a few times to check out recruits. Stayed with my uncle and aunt. My uncle bankrolled Chauncey Reynolds, law school for a few players, and did a fair share of bribing. Never found a recruit good enough for Pat. Was he rich? Damn straight he was. Was he corrupt? I think so.

I met Kellie at Calhoun’s when I was there to listen to Coach Hype - she was friendly & extremely gracious. She was standing on steps on the outside patio and I was near her, I smiled and told her I loved watching her play and coach. She smiled back, thanked me, and reached her hand out to shake mine. My husband said, skooch closer and I’ll take a picture. I told him I didn’t want to bother her, and she said, it’s no bother at all and pulled me towards her, put her arm around me, and he took the picture. Then, last year at the hotel (my sister and I didn’t know when we made reservations, but we were in the same hotel as the team) we rode down the elevator together. She looked at me, smiled, and said “you look familiar”. I told her we met briefly the year before at Calhoun’s and wished her luck. She again, was friendly and gracious.

I grew up loving the Tennessee Volunteers, watching all our teams play, and loving them all. I love and appreciate her but, as hard as it is to tell one of our amazing VFLs she wasn’t working out as our coach, it needed to be done.

Here’s to moving forward while appreciating the efforts of our two coaches who followed Coach Pat Summitt.
I’m not saying she isn’t friendly. I’m only reporting what was told to me and I believe them. It’s their experience, not yours.

This group is not capable of nuance, and doesn’t understand how this works. She is in the family. She is succeeding at a reputable program, but not a top choice for this one now. She has supporters in the family. When White saw that the search would not drop to get to her, they let her know. She maintained her pride, and probably got a raise by saying “I’m staying at Duke”. We maintained peace in the family and a good relationship with her for the future. We may want and need her later. You treat w person of her stature and position with respect and keep doors open. I hope we all wish her well.
Are we still swinging on the top choice or have we moved down the board

It’s more like 10,000 a season since Pat started coaching. My uncle recruited under the table for TN football in the 1970s and Pat and Mickey went to Boise a few times to check out recruits. Stayed with my uncle and aunt. My uncle bankrolled Chauncey Reynolds, law school for a few players, and did a fair share of bribing. Never found a recruit good enough for Pat. Was he rich? Damn straight he was. Was he corrupt? I think so.

I believe I'm beginning to catch on why Kellie avoided some of these donors.

This group is not capable of nuance, and doesn’t understand how this works. She is in the family. She is succeeding at a reputable program, but not a top choice for this one now. She has supporters in the family. When White saw that the search would not drop to get to her, they let her know. She maintained her pride, and probably got a raise by saying “I’m staying at Duke”. We maintained peace in the family and a good relationship with her for the future. We may want and need her later. You treat w person of her stature and position with respect and keep doors open. I hope we all wish her well.
Finally a common sense response to a few hundred horrible ones. Treat people with respect and you don't say or do anything to embarrass them.

I’m going to go ahead and post this so I don’t get accused of not supporting anyone because I wanted Kellie to stay.
I will support anyone but Jeff and Brenda. They are just not fits with the Lady Vol culture in so many ways! Candace will disown us if it is Brenda.

You’re missing my point. 9 times out of 10, the average fan uses “big donors” as a generic term when they’re actually talking about one or two people who give a small/moderate amount of money.

Yep there has always been something impacting team performance the last 5 years.....injuries,recruiting ,coaching,playing too early on Sunday,Shirley was sick,Alice just did not show up today ....you name it........ everything and the kitchen sink has been thrown out there as excuses for poor performance. In the end the person in charge gets the credit .
Lost our best player for big chunks of the year the last three years. But you keep believing that was no big deal.
Looks like it will be cloudy on Monday for the eclipse, damn that Kellie!

What about Kelly Graves at Oregon? He's the one that put Gonzaga on the map and made deep runs (you could argue Fortier has only maintained what he built).

Oregon in the B1G has more travel and only a partial media share for the next few years, don't think Nike money will be supporting them to the same degree as their football team through that.

Reactions: papatomany
I’m not sure why our fans don’t get that when coaches are told they aren’t getting the job, they “turn it down” or “are staying” where they are. We’ve been through enough coach searches you’d think we’d all know the drill. I turn down tons of jobs I was never offered. Once it was clear I wasn’t getting the job, I’d withdraw, like when Michael Scott withdrew his name from consideration at the Dunder Mifflin corporate offices.

I’m going to go ahead and post this so I don’t get accused of not supporting anyone because I wanted Kellie to stay.
I will support anyone but Jeff and Brenda. They are just not fits with the Lady Vol culture in so many ways! Candace will disown us if it is Brenda.
I want Brenda… idg the issues.. her media, halftimes, vibe around her program are great! Maybe she’s changed for the better

Cant say the same for Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: TrippieRedd

Well, it wouldn't be wise to alienate Parker, but enough prattling about the "Lady Vol culture." After 15 years of heavy mediocrity, I think
we can all agree it's time to start winning more basketball games. How was the "Lady Vol culture" during the Warlick years? Freese seems a tough cookie, and I doubt we'll hire her, but she's a top-tier coach and would be a massive improvement over our last two coaches. It's this obsession with "Lady Vol culture" that is responsible for the program's slide. If any program needs more of a brass tacks coach, it's ours.

Reactions: VolFuture
What about Kelly Graves at Oregon? He's the one that put Gonzaga on the map and made deep runs (you could argue Fortier has only maintained what he built).

Oregon in the B1G has more travel and only a partial media share for the next few years, don't think Nike money will be supporting them to the same degree as their football team through that.
Risky considering his last few seasons but def a great basketball mind that can recruit

You’re missing my point. 9 times out of 10, the average fan uses “big donors” as a generic term when they’re actually talking about one or two people who give a small/moderate amount of money.
Maybe more people will believe your made up data if you create a pie chart or a fake survey of dentists.

VN Store

Back