Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

From what I’ve heard. We’ve offered, and (multiple) coaches have said no.

Obviously, I’m some random guy on the internet. But I think that will come through when we announce someone that is head scratching from the coach we just fired. Once again, I have no names but comes from credible sources (to me).
This is BS.

@chuckiepoo catching up on the 21 new pages in the thread tomorrow morning.. just to learn that the program is in shambles and we don't have a new coach yet.

d6761c9a4b5cd5197728ee67863f7be8.gif
I’ve taken to checking most recent post and a few above. Way too much bandwidth. This sucks… 😉

For those following, Cora (from KNS) has updated her coaching hotboard to include five new coaches:

1. Brenda Frese (this name has gotten a lot of traction by talking heads the last two days)
2. Kevin McGuff (Ohio State)
3. Lisa Fortier (Gonzaga)
4. Niki Collen (Baylor)
5. Carla Berube (Princeton) this is an interesting one. She's 100-17 and has never missed an NCAA tournament since taking over in 2019, including an upset win over KY in 2022 - the same KY team that took out top ranked SC in the SECT.

Edited to add that Carla Berube has a 484–113 (.811) lifetime coaching record. Seems like she'd be a much safer version of our ex head coach from Marshall.

Last edited:
Things I think could be true at this point if we've been turned down by anyone is:

1. Danny White reached out to Becky Hammon to gauge if she had any interest at coming to the college level. She said "Thank you for calling, but no" ( I don't consider this turning us down unless she interviewed).
2. White reached out to Gottlieb (Big Fish) and Gottlieb listened - why wouldn't she? She may have had genuine interest but the reports that she was tied to star player Juju are correct and her star players and incoming #1 recruiting class didn't seem interested in following her. In that instance, she stays because her best chance at a championship as a coach is going to come in the next 1-3 years at USC.
3. White has shown courtesy to the mid major coaches who have reached out and may have extended interviews to several. Early report was several very successful P5 coaches and Mid majors had reached out to US.

That would lead us to where we are today (five days into the search). He'd probably now make some calls to Wes Moore and continue down the list (UCLA's coach, Colorados, Gonzaga's) etc.
It will be Becky Hammon, or someone in the elite category…
Becky Hammon makes 1 million a year.
You drop 5 million on her, and she’ll crawl to Knoxville.
Unless she’s been promised a NBA job after the season, it makes zero sense to stay in WNBA over college. Check the ratings… It’s just facts.
There’s absolutely no way any coach not named Dawn Staley, Geno, or the Baton Rouge maniac is turning this job down.
It’s the best.
The NIL alone is elite.

I think Danny is done playing games.
Dude is the best AD in America…
If he gets the Lady Vols back…
They’ll build statues in his honor.

Reply back when we announce 😉
Sorry, dude. Danny’s been on this since mid-season, made a list, talked to agents, set interviews with folks who did express interest in the job. He’s not wasting time on candidates who aren’t interested. Sometimes there is a mutual decision made between parties that it isn’t a good fit. You are implying that the Lady Vol coaching position isn’t desirable when it is.

Unless she’s been promised a NBA job after the season, it makes zero sense to stay in WNBA over college. Check the ratings… It’s just facts.
There’s absolutely no way any coach not named Dawn Staley, or the Baton Rouge maniac is turning this job down.
It’s the best.
The NIL alone is elite.

Dude… you’re delusional.

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
I have no idea as I’ve said. That’s what I’ve been told by multiple people. Again, no problem if you don’t believe a random guy in the internet. I would be cautious as well.
Who are the multiple people? Reporters? Friends of Danny’s or people in on the interviews? Players? Donors?

There’s absolutely no way any coach not named Dawn Staley, or the Baton Rouge maniac is turning this job down.
It’s the best.
The NIL alone is elite.

Fun post. And congrats on getting such a great deal on CBD gummies.......

Sorry, dude. Danny’s been on this since mid-season, made a list, talked to agents, set interviews with folks who did express interest in the job. He’s not wasting time on candidates who aren’t interested. Sometimes there is a mutual decision made between parties that it isn’t a good fit. You are implying that the Lady Vol coaching position isn’t desirable when it is.
I think it’s as desirable as it was 5 years ago. You think it’s 2001 and you’re a little off my friend. Again, let’s check back when we announce you’re elite coach that we get.

I think it’s as desirable as it was 5 years ago. You think it’s 2001 and you’re a little off my friend. Again, let’s check back when we announce your elite coach that we get.
It’s not as desirable as 5 years ago. It’s more desirable. You think coming to work for an interim AD was desirable? You don’t think coming on during NIL era with more NIL funds is as desirable? You don’t think twice the money as 5 years ago is more desirable?

Also, so basically all you’re saying as UT won’t hire an “elite coach”. No matter who they hire with the exception of Staley (and a couple others) you will say they aren’t elite so you get to look like you know something. Richard G West is actually looking reliable now.

Facts 1000%.

Reactions: grayshill
You think coming to work for an interim AD was desirable? You don’t think coming on during NIL era with more NIL funds is as desirable? You don’t think twice the money as 5 years ago is more desirable?

Also, so basically all you’re saying as UT won’t hire an “elite coach”. No matter who they hire you will say they aren’t elite so you get to look like you know something. Richard G West is actually looking reliable now.
I picked an arbitrary Pat Summit year so my apologies for picking an interim AD. As for NIL, it depends on if they’re using what they gave Harper or what they give the new coach.

And no, if they hire a Power 5 coach who has been to the final four and/or won national championships, then that makes sense. Otherwise, it seems a little trigger happy by our AD.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I picked an arbitrary Pat Summit year so my apologies for picking an interim AD. As for NIL, it depends on if they’re using what they gave Harper or what they give the new coach.

And no, if they hire a Power 5 coach who has been to the final four and/or won national championships, then that makes sense. Otherwise, it seems a little trigger happy by our AD.
so the only coach that is worth having is a final 4 coach, or else it would have been better to keep the coach who didn’t get past the sweet 16? Makes sense.

Also, youre finally being honest in your more recent posts and admitting you’re merely speculating and offering your opinion. You don’t know that anyone has been offered, much less turned down, this job.

The Lady Vols need to be back on the big stage, trust Danny White. His history of hiring basketball coaches is great, he will make the right hire.

For those following, Cora (from KNS) has updated her coaching hotboard to include five new coaches:

1. Brenda Frese (this name has gotten a lot of traction by talking heads the last two days)
2. Kevin McGuff (Ohio State)
3. Lisa Fortier (Gonzaga)
4. Niki Collen (Baylor)
5. Carla Berube (Princeton) this is an interesting one. She's 100-17 and has never missed an NCAA tournament since taking over in 2019, including an upset win over KY in 2022 - the same KY team that took out top ranked SC in the SECT.

Edited to add that Carla Berube has a 484–113 (.811) lifetime coaching record. Seems like she'd be a much safer version of our ex head coach from Marshall.
Carla Berube? The same Carla Berube whose free throws in the final seconds of the 1995 National Championship Game caused Pat to slam her hand on the scorers table and say, "I really hate this"?

Geno has always bred hate for the Lady Vols into his players. I wonder if she would even be interested.

so the only coach that is worth having is a final 4 coach, or else it would have been better to keep the coach who didn’t get past the sweet 16.

Also, youre finally being honest in your more recent posts and admitting you’re merely speculating and offering your opinion. You don’t know that anyone has been offered, much less turned down, this job.
I think that if you want to get to a higher level, you better hire a coach that’s been to a higher level than Harper. Otherwise what was the purpose in the change..

And from what I’ve been told, I believe wholeheartedly that we’ve offered multiple coaches and have been turned down multiple times. I don’t know who directly, but once we see who’s hired, apparently, that becomes clear (and I don’t even know that DW has picked yet).

The NIL you describe is true name, image and likeness the way it was supposed to be. The part that crept in was the player salary part and that probably will eventually be unionized. The Dartmouth men's bball team already voted to unionize and courts have approved it.

Most think the salary/signing bonus/whatever you want to call it part of NIL will go in house with the universities where it can be more tightly controled and fairly administered than the current wild west. There's an argument over whether the players will be designated actual employees or not. If they are, the will most surely unionize.
We aren’t paying a salary and as long as we don’t, I think NIL will self-correct. I do not want our student athletes to become employees of the university. I think that would open a can of worms that no one would want.

I don’t have a problem with NIL - it seems to even the playing field and keeps Universities that have been willing to pay under the table from stacking up student athletes.

VN Store

Back