Players who did not get a fair shake

Honestly he just had to finish out the season and he would’ve been drafted. He had a lot of people in his ear and in his head.

He couldn’t. He was physically beat up and sitting in dark rooms while home due to migraines. He was too tall and the concussions and his back were too much. I can’t remember the exact day at this point but he couldn’t even handle light being on after one game…..think it was South Carolina but I can’t recall for sure.

He couldn’t. He was physically beat up and sitting in dark rooms while home due to migraines. He was too tall and the concussions and his back were too much. I can’t remember the exact day at this point but he couldn’t even handle light being on after one game…..think it was South Carolina but I can’t recall for sure.

Neo has a point.

In the NFL, there is a reason you don't see 6'8" dudes toting the rock.

Reactions: NEO
Inky. That said I think he’s had a huge impact on a lot of people’s lives. Maybe that wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t got injured.
Injury counts? I was reading "fair shot" as not enough of an opportunity to be successful....As in not enough playing time or not enough support to achieve said playing time....

I watched a pickup basketball game in the Bubble once with a bunch of Lady Vols, football and basketball players, and James Banks was the best basketball player on the court
Not hard to believe at all. He ran and moved more like a 5'11" guy, not one of over 6'3"... Was set to be a safety for us and we sure could have used him that year .....

Reactions: VaBornVol
As I look over the posts here on VN, it seems each year we (get) players who are deemed to be program changers; some are transfers and some are HS and JUCO recruits.

Not stating any criteria but asking, who are your top three candidates of players who did not seem to get a fair shake?

For me: Joey Matthews
Harrison Bailey
Brandon Stewart (Peyton was the correct choice)

I am QB heavy on my list but, I also think had Fulmer pushed, Jerry Colquit might have gotten his Sr year back. Also, Jalen Hurd could be on this list had Jones ran the I formation.
Butch just flat lied to Jalen Hurd!

Reactions: Hairy Vols
Does anyone remember the walk on RB in the mid 2000’s (think Yancey may have been his name)? Seems Trooper Taylor commented to the press he was better than Riggs and Houston. Correct me if I am incorrect.

As I look over the posts here on VN, it seems each year we (get) players who are deemed to be program changers; some are transfers and some are HS and JUCO recruits.

Not stating any criteria but asking, who are your top three candidates of players who did not seem to get a fair shake?

For me: Joey Matthews
Harrison Bailey
Brandon Stewart (Peyton was the correct choice)

I am QB heavy on my list but, I also think had Fulmer pushed, Jerry Colquit might have gotten his Sr year back. Also, Jalen Hurd could be on this list had Jones ran the I formation.

Keller Chryst 10000%

He didn’t have a future in the NFL as a WR either.
He was good when he wasn’t injured in the preseason, but that wasn’t very often. He took a lot of wear and tear early on and he never held up. Four straight seasons of injuries. Did he even play a regular season snap?
It’s wild that he and Deebo both were drafted by the 49ers and Deebo was the one with injury concerns coming out of the draft. Deebo became what they wanted out of Hurd and Hurd is now retired.

Kevin Simon - would’ve probably been a UT legend if not for injuries
Chris Leake - had one of the quickest hooks for a QB I’ve ever seen. Stuck it out here even after his brother went to Florida and even lined up as a TE on an end of game kneel down
John Rattay — Highly rated QB in the same class as Clausen. Casey was the right call, but it seemed that decision was made before they ever hit campus
You mean CJ Leak, the older brother of Florida QB Chris Leak. CJ loved Tennessee in spite of the awkward position he was in (on campus older brother of a highly recruited QB who spurned the Vols for the Gators).

I had some classes with CJ and he always showed up (many of the other football players in those Comm classes rarely did). He mentored a lot of the true freshman that year (Fall 2004).

I hadn't thought about him in a long time. Apparently he has carved out a nice career in NFL team player personnel departments over the last 15 years.

Jonathan Crompton….. dude had more coaches and coordinators than pairs of underwear
With the fans most definitely. He redeemed himself in the eyes of many by being so good down the stretch his senior year. He’s one of my favorites because that guy took an absolute beating and was able to put together an impressive senior season when you look at the numbers.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Brandon Warren

He had success as a freshman at FSU but did very little once he came to UT.

VN Store

Back