BTO’s Purdue Postgame Report

He gets so many offensive boards because he just doesn't leave the paint. When he gets 10 seconds to establish position there and is allowed to simply shove players, elbow them in the throat etc, he can clean up. He put JJJ in the front row with a two handed shove on the play Barnes got the technical on. When you're 6-8 inches taller, allowed to camp in the lane under the basket, and shove at will, anyone else getting a rebound becomes tough. Even if Edey didn't get it himself, he basically sealed off a huge area for any Tennessee player.
With all the attention on Edey, the other Purdue players were free to roam unimpeded quite often. They had easier paths to offensive rebounds because we had guys so focused on Edey.

It was to a certain extent but Santi and ZZ are shooting about 30% on the year. Wasn’t just this game.

Idk what their deal is but we need to figure it out
The deal is that Santi hasn't had a day of rest since coming back from Uruguay and ZZ is recovering from a torn ACL. I expect them to settle more into form as the season goes on, but right now they're defending well at least.

1. Losses like this are always tough, on one hand you feel like the game was there for the taking and we went cold again in a big moment, on the other hand you realize that that’s probably the favorite to the national champion and that you took them down to the wire in what was definitely not your best showing. I get being upset about it and it warranted to an extent, but also needs to come with the realization that you went toe to toe with a championship caliber team on a neutral court.

2. Not to be receptive but somewhat building off that and specifically the offense, I get we went cold in spurts but you’re also referring to a Purdue team that is #3 nationally in defense, they just held Gonzaga who was a Top 10 offense to 63 points, so when you look at our 67 through that lens then things look a little different.

3. I was disappointed in some guys, mainly from an offensive standpoint…Zeigler, Vescovi, JJJ & Knecht. The first 3 have disappeared before in big games and so it was tough to see it happen again, but it did, we really need Vescovi to find his shot, and Zeigler to a lesser extent. Knecht you may be wondering what I mean, he was our best player yesterday, but when looking at him how we were as our go to guy, and potential SEC POY you needed him in that 2nd half and he also disappeared for the most part. Again, overall he had a good game, but we were hoping he’d be the guy to take over when other guys couldn’t hit and yesterday he joined them on the milk carton.

4. I’m aware Edey is a monster, but Aidoo, Awaka, Estrella and Phillips can absolutely not combine for 3 rebounds, that is almost impressive in a sad kind of way. Again I know he’s huge, but those guys just didn’t do enough and a lack of defensive rebounds (2nd chance points) was a huge reason why we lost that game yesterday, and in large part it falls on those guys.

5. I thought Mashack was a bright spot, and was a little puzzled why he wasn’t out there more in the 2nd half. I would guess lack of perimeter shooting but then again nobody was hitting, he at least was getting into the lane and getting some shots to go down close to the rim unlike Zeigler. He was also great defensively, not that Zeigler wasn’t, but he was a guy that I thought played pretty well overall yesterday.

6. Again, it’s sucks losing and not any easier in that fashion, but big picture you showed you belong on the court with a team like that. Transitive properly doesn’t work but we played them better than Gonzaga, we did nothing yesterday to suggest we aren’t in fact a Top 10 team in the country. We play Kansas today, a likely part of that same group as Purdue of Top 2-3 teams and favorites in the country as of today, it also will not be easy. After yesterdays tough game I’m not sure I expect a ton from our guys but I’m hopeful, we will absolutely have to shoot the ball better and rebound better. Leaving Maui 1-2 wasn’t what anyone wanted but losses to Kansas and Purdue will do nothing to hurt your resume and will absolutely go towards building it as one of the most impressive in the country.

GBO!!!

Edey was bullying the Tennessee bigs last night and Tennessee cannot afford for Dickinson to do the same thing today although Dickinson has a better outside game than Edey.

Edey will need to establish a 12 to 15 foot range shot to have a long NBA career.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Been a great experience. Competition unreal. First time in the islands. Highly recommend Kauai. Very laid back. Honolulu not so much. Pearl Harbor was good to see.
I met UT football great Dale Jones on the Arisona Memorial at Pearl Harbor when I went to Hawaii in 1987.

Hawaii is indeed a fantastic place to visit.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
biggest disappointment for me was the rebounding. too many times the giant didnt even have a body on him. How can you not get a body on a guy that's 7'4"?
I know he's going to get some rebounds, but you got to clear him out of there on most of the shots. they had 15 offensive rebounds.

finally, at the end of the game, someone boxed out and Edey got a foul for going over the back.
Edey was allowed to push people outta the way underneath without picking io fouls..he should have had 4 the first half alone.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Purdue ain’t sniffing a natty lol soft ass team. Wont always get a biased whistle

Been a great experience. Competition unreal. First time in the islands. Highly recommend Kauai. Very laid back. Honolulu not so much. Pearl Harbor was good to see.
Kuaui is the HI that blows your mind. Honolulu is just Panama City on roads. I would love to go to one of these.

Kuaui is the HI that blows your mind. Honolulu is just Panama City on roads. I would love to go to one of these.
Yeah, Honolulu is crowded and Waikiki has a lot of upscale stores. Reminds me of NYC with a beach. Pearl Harbor is a list though. We are driving up to Waimea on the North Shore tomorrow. Am told it’s a must see as well.

Yeah, Honolulu is crowded and Waikiki has a lot of upscale stores. Reminds me of NYC with a beach. Pearl Harbor is a list though. We are driving up to Waimea on the North Shore tomorrow. Am told it’s a must see as well.
Oh man, your gonna love it over there. Went on my honeymoon over 30 years ago. That canyon was the 2nd best thing that I did while there. 😉

Reactions: cardvolfan
Oh man, your gonna love it over there. Went on my honeymoon over 30 years ago. That canyon was the 2nd best thing that I did while there. 😉
BTO, I for one, but I expect really for many, am very grateful for the time you take to report on the BB games. I know you would rather report on Ws rather than Ls. Nevertheless, I always look forward to your posts. You are helping me to be a better student of the game and so see things I normally do not see. You are the best. Go Vols!!

He gets so many offensive boards because he just doesn't leave the paint. When he gets 10 seconds to establish position there and is allowed to simply shove players, elbow them in the throat etc, he can clean up. He put JJJ in the front row with a two handed shove on the play Barnes got the technical on. When you're 6-8 inches taller, allowed to camp in the lane under the basket, and shove at will, anyone else getting a rebound becomes tough. Even if Edey didn't get it himself, he basically sealed off a huge area for any Tennessee player.
Totally agree. I know Barnes got a tech for complaining about a missed call on Edey for push against ZZ. He should’ve and probably was complaining about the big guy camping in lane. That’s what the 3 second violation is for - to keep an big guy from having huge advantage

We went a few years back and stayed on the North Shore. Only drove into Honolulu to visit Pear Harbor (I’m a WW2 buff so that was a must see). LOVED Waimea and the North Shore.

A couple of days removed, I’m more pissed about the Purdue game. Someone on one of the many threads mentioned we didn’t shoot another FT after Santi’s at the 8:00 mark. I went back and looked at the play by play and it’s absolutely true. From that point on, UT was called for 10 fouls, Purdue 0. Purdue shot 19 FTs and UT 0. Now, we were jacking up a lot of 3s, but I remember several times getting arms raked, body blows, reach ins and such. Did Purdue REALLY go from fouling every second or third possession to NONE in 8 minutes? Awaka got a foul for taking 2 shoulders to the chest? Grrr…

play by play here:

Reactions: cardvolfan
Both teams have a full season to work their game. They are both better. And both have changed up their approach to the game.
Gonna be a good one. This IS a FINAL four game for both teams. At least, that's how I see it from the cheap seats.

1. Losses like this are always tough, on one hand you feel like the game was there for the taking and we went cold again in a big moment, on the other hand you realize that that’s probably the favorite to the national champion and that you took them down to the wire in what was definitely not your best showing. I get being upset about it and it warranted to an extent, but also needs to come with the realization that you went toe to toe with a championship caliber team on a neutral court.

2. Not to be receptive but somewhat building off that and specifically the offense, I get we went cold in spurts but you’re also referring to a Purdue team that is #3 nationally in defense, they just held Gonzaga who was a Top 10 offense to 63 points, so when you look at our 67 through that lens then things look a little different.

3. I was disappointed in some guys, mainly from an offensive standpoint…Zeigler, Vescovi, JJJ & Knecht. The first 3 have disappeared before in big games and so it was tough to see it happen again, but it did, we really need Vescovi to find his shot, and Zeigler to a lesser extent. Knecht you may be wondering what I mean, he was our best player yesterday, but when looking at him how we were as our go to guy, and potential SEC POY you needed him in that 2nd half and he also disappeared for the most part. Again, overall he had a good game, but we were hoping he’d be the guy to take over when other guys couldn’t hit and yesterday he joined them on the milk carton.

4. I’m aware Edey is a monster, but Aidoo, Awaka, Estrella and Phillips can absolutely not combine for 3 rebounds, that is almost impressive in a sad kind of way. Again I know he’s huge, but those guys just didn’t do enough and a lack of defensive rebounds (2nd chance points) was a huge reason why we lost that game yesterday, and in large part it falls on those guys.

5. I thought Mashack was a bright spot, and was a little puzzled why he wasn’t out there more in the 2nd half. I would guess lack of perimeter shooting but then again nobody was hitting, he at least was getting into the lane and getting some shots to go down close to the rim unlike Zeigler. He was also great defensively, not that Zeigler wasn’t, but he was a guy that I thought played pretty well overall yesterday.

6. Again, it’s sucks losing and not any easier in that fashion, but big picture you showed you belong on the court with a team like that. Transitive properly doesn’t work but we played them better than Gonzaga, we did nothing yesterday to suggest we aren’t in fact a Top 10 team in the country. We play Kansas today, a likely part of that same group as Purdue of Top 2-3 teams and favorites in the country as of today, it also will not be easy. After yesterdays tough game I’m not sure I expect a ton from our guys but I’m hopeful, we will absolutely have to shoot the ball better and rebound better. Leaving Maui 1-2 wasn’t what anyone wanted but losses to Kansas and Purdue will do nothing to hurt your resume and will absolutely go towards building it as one of the most impressive in the country.

GBO!!!
It was really interesting to go back and read BTO’s post game report from our game with Purdue at the beginning of the season. Dalton was just figuring out his role on the team, ZZ was still coming off his injury rehab, JJJ and Santiago were limited contributors, we were totally dominated on the boards, yet we were still in the game right up until the very end.

Dalton has fully grown into his role on this team, ZZ is fully back and better than he ever was previously, JJJ and Santiago are 5th and 6th year seniors with the brass ring within reach, and Tobe has really come on as a fierce rebounder as the year has progressed. I am really getting pumped about our chances with this rematch. I also liked Jay Wright and Bruce Pearl’s post game observations about the Vols ability to push Purdue out of their offensive structure with our perimeter defensive pressure without having to lock down Eddy one on one.

I am pumped with the chances for the Vols. By the way since I am also a graduate of NC State this tournament is really shaping up as a win/win for me.

The script has been written for Purdue, and all of the talking heads have been focusing on the “redemption” storyline for Purdue. It’s going to take an incredible effort for 40 minutes to send the favored child home. We will likely get in foul trouble. Officials will not let us be physical with Edey. We will probably need some big minutes from the bench again. Hope Estrella is prepared.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
The script has been written for Purdue, and all of the talking heads have been focusing on the “redemption” storyline for Purdue. It’s going to take an incredible effort for 40 minutes to send the favored child home. We will likely get in foul trouble. Officials will not let us be physical with Edey. We will probably need some big minutes from the bench again. Hope Estrella is prepared.
Yep, the talking heads on Gameday just anointed them. If you listen to them, we got no shot.

We need to go to drama school tonight and flop on LURCH. He comes down and starts bullying his way to his spot and leaves himself wide open for it. Wait for the push then hit the deck instead of trying to muscle him back. One quick foul and he will be less effective and 2 he is off the floor. He is so clumsy he knocks players around every time he moves in the paint. However it gets done we have to try and get this guy some fouls and get him on the sidelines, or playing tentatively.

We need to go to drama school tonight and flop on LURCH. He comes down and starts bullying his way to his spot and leaves himself wide open for it. Wait for the push then hit the deck instead of trying to muscle him back. One quick foul and he will be less effective and 2 he is off the floor. He is so clumsy he knocks players around every time he moves in the paint. However it gets done we have to try and get this guy some fouls and get him on the sidelines, or playing tentatively.
Jay Bilas made a good point about Edey when he gets the ball in low close to the basket. Just hold up your arms and let him have it. Better than him fouling out the bigs.

VN Store

Back