Sec Coach of the Year

Who wins Sec Coach of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

volplaya8

Will they award this to Rick Barnes for having best record/team or Lamont Paris for bringing South Carolina out of the gutter. Weigh in….

LaMont Paris will win the award. And he very likely might win National Coach of the Year as well. He’s deserving.

But I will say it has been interesting how there has been exactly zero conversation about Rick Barnes and the job he has done. I listen to quite a few different college basketball podcasts on my work commute, and all of the conversation has been around Danny Sprinkle, LaMont Paris, TJ Otzelberger, and Dan Hurley.

I know we were picked to win the league, but so was UConn. Barnes has us positioned to get the first 1-seed in program history. How he isn’t even discussed is unfair. I’m not saying he should win, but his name has come up exactly zero times. I’ve even heard Pearl and Oat’s names mentioned. But no Barnes.

LaMont Paris will win the award. And he very likely might win National Coach of the Year as well. He’s deserving.

But I will say it has been interesting how there has been exactly zero conversation about Rick Barnes and the job he has done. I listen to quite a few different college basketball podcasts on my work commute, and all of the conversation has been around Danny Sprinkle, LaMont Paris, TJ Otzelberger, and Dan Hurley.

I know we were picked to win the league, but so was UConn. Barnes has us positioned to get the first 1-seed in program history. How he isn’t even discussed is unfair. I’m not saying he should win, but his name has come up exactly zero times. I’ve even heard Pearl and Oat’s names mentioned. But no Barnes.
CRB is just collecting a paycheck before he retires

Criminal to not be mentioned especially if we close out regular season with Kentucky win. Not sure if any team could go 4-0 last two weeks and we have our chance to do so. I also would like to play Miss. St. in that 8/9 game to have a shot at beating every team in the conference this season.

Another meaningless award with little or no criteria for choosing the winner. Barnes does not care about the award so they can give it to whoever they want.

Reactions: Plateauvol
Just an FYI for the basketball purists amongst us: if you get a chance, look at the post game interview from Lamont Paris and watch the whole thing. It’s as impressive as I’ve seen coming from a coach who just lost a huge game.

I‘m not sure if Paris has always played a slow tempo game or he is this year because of the makeup of this specific team, but that guy can coach. Best opposing team video I’ve ever watched.

Just an FYI for the basketball purists amongst us: if you get a chance, look at the post game interview from Lamont Paris and watch the whole thing. It’s as impressive as I’ve seen coming from a coach who just lost a huge game.

I‘m not sure if Paris has always played a slow tempo game or he is this year because of the makeup of this specific team, but that guy can coach. Best opposing team video I’ve ever watched.
Pretty sure he came from the Bo Ryan coaching tree who played a slow tempo Big 10 style of basketball. Hell of a coach, who I don't see being at USC jr very much longer.

He deserves COTY.

UT was picked pre-season to win the conference and did it.

USCe was picked dead last, and came within a hair of winning it.

No problem with either guy getting the award. Both deserving.
Exactly, but if I was voting, it would be Paris. Doesn’t mean he’s a better coach obviously, but what he’s done there has been incredible.

Absolutely, and add to that how he has integrated a scorer like Knecht into a veteran group seamlessly without affecting the signature Barnes defensive identity. The job Barnes has done adapting the way UT plays to win using multiple styles and with different players making big contributions has been one of my favorite parts of watching this season.

This team is more of an accumulated result or payoff for all of Barnes' efforts since arriving.
This season should be the notarizing stamp on Barnes' pass into the Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame.

And for Lamont Paris, maybe this is the season that puts him on Danny White's "someday" short list.

IMO it’s all so subjective. Clearly LP has had a great season and far exceeded anyone’s expectations. And I’d imagine he wins the award…but also clearly CRB has had an extremely impressive season and hopefully will go farther than we’ve been before. I personally do not care about the award either way. But anyone leaving Barnes out of the discussion is misinformed…at best.

VN Store

Back