Fulmer’s legacy?

How do you view CPF’s legacy as a coach and AD?

• Good

• Neutral

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.
You know what's hilarious is that as bad as Hammy, Hart, and Currie were they each made one great coaching hire. Hammy hired Pearl, Hart hired Barnes, and (perhaps the most shocking) Currie hired Vitello.

Those are all not just good, but outstanding hires made by guys who on the whole were horrible ADs.

I made that point earlier but Fulmer never had that one redeeming hire or one administrative quality that showed any level of competence.

Not only is he the worst AD in our recent history, he is the worst AD in recent SEC history....

He was a very good football coach and player. He should get his due for that....

His legacy will be fine because before too long, nobody is going to even remember that Fulmer: A) Had a couple of losing seasons and floundered a little at the end; or B) ever had the AD job.
I think people "outside the family" remember Fulmer that way. The Tennessee fanbase...not so much.

I made that point earlier but Fulmer never had that one redeeming hire or one administrative quality that showed any level of competence.

Not only is he the worst AD in our recent history, he is the worst AD in recent SEC history....

He was a very good football coach and player. He should get his due for that....
He hired a good volleyball coach, lol. I think that literally is the only good thing he did as AD.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I think people "outside the family" remember Fulmer that way. The Tennessee fanbase...not so much.
A lot of it probably also depends on us continuing to win in football to distance ourselves from the misery and forget the bad taste.

He hired a good volleyball coach, lol. I think that literally is the only good thing he did as AD.

Fulmer's greatest AD accomplishment was neglecting his HOF basketball coach and then having that coach twist his balls so hard that he got an overmarket (at that time) extension...

Reactions: onevol74
Outstanding coach for 10+ years---brought us a national title-- but failed to rejuvenate the staff, which got old and quite stale, and then so did the program.

Undermined Currie to get hold of the AD job that he'd coveted for years, then was a terrible athletic director. Pruitt was a disaster and he made a bad, lazy hire for the women's BB program.

But the man is all Vol and will always respect him for that and for the great success he had for a decade or longer.

He gets extra credit in my book for ‘98. But when you analyze his career here in the stark daylight, he left a lot on the table, and oversaw a precipitous decline of the program….not once, but twice. That leaves his legacy, to me at least, in question.

The 90’s should have seen several more conference championships, based upon the Keystone Cops that were coaching in the SEC. Outside of Spurrier (and that’s a whole other kettle of fish), it wasn’t exactly a who’s who of coaching talent. Our talent was as good as anyone’s, yet we came away with very little hardware for such a dominant decade. To me, he was a great recruiter, and an average coach. He won big when he had the superior talent. When things were more even (Florida) he struggled.

Then there was the decline that can be charted after wining the Natty. This is highlighted by the terrible record against ranked teams post-98. He damaged his own legacy by staying too long, and by failing to adapt as the game changed.

The ill-advised play by the old guard at our lowest point (or so we thought) to push him into the AD seat seals it for me. That seemed to be an ego driven decision by Fulmer. He knew he wasn’t an AD, but in my opinion, took the job to rehab his reputation rather than the health of the program(s). The contrast between his administration and that of Danny Whites could not be more stark…which doesn’t help Phil any.

He was a player, and when he had the pieces he needed, a very successful coach. I appreciate his positive contributions. I hold no ill will, but to me his legacy falls far short of where it should have been, both at Tennesse and in the history of college football.
The 90s were stacked with great programs. Bama, UT, UF, Michigan, Nebraska, Georgia Tech and FSU all won titles during that decade. Looking back, it was pretty remarkable that we came away with one title in that span. The ball bounced our way so many times in 1998 it almost defied football science. Heck, Al Wilson had to force 3 TOs by himself just in order for UT to beat UF by 3 points. Without those defensive plays, UF probably wins that game by multiple scores. Fulmer should receive huge amounts of credit for taking us where Johnny couldn't. OTOH, he deserves all negative criticism for his poor tenure as AD. I do my best to have a positive outlook. I look at it like this, we had to endure the Pruitt era at the hands of Fulmer as a bridge that gave us Heupel and Josh has given the program its best 2 year stretch since 03-04. The only association Fulmer should have around the program these days is perhaps a brief wave to the camera from the stands or when the 98 team is celebrated. BTW, Nice post Boro!

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
I know since he won a title here you aren't allowed by some to say anything that is critical of him. However, you simply cannot ignore how his tenure as coach ended, and you definitely cannot ignore the unmitigated disaster that was his tenure as AD.

I voted neutral because there wasn't an option between neutral and good, but it is closer to neutral than good. A better answer is that "it's complicated." After all, he is the second best football coach in school history. If he never came back as AD, or if his tenure as AD was something other than a disaster, I would have voted good.
Third best imo. I always thought Dickey was a better coach at UT. I think he would have won at least one national championship if he had stayed.

Reactions: onevol74
Third best imo. I always thought Dickey was a better coach at UT. I think he would have won at least one national championship if he had stayed.
That's quite a stretch. Not only does Fulmer have a title that Dickey does not, Fulmer also had a better winning percentage than Dickey in a much larger number of games.

You definitely can make a case that Dickey was a better coach at UT than Majors and is the 3rd best coach in school history, even though Johnny was around much longer.

He squandered quite a bit of talent. He often had as much or more talent throughout the mid 90’s to the mid 2000’s and lost the games that he shouldn’t have and rarely won those that he shouldn’t have.

I’ve said it before and that is coach Cut was the real force for the good years Fulmer had as coach and his time as AD was a failure by anyone’s standard.

To me he was a net negative and that is saying something for a coach who won a national title.

This is where I am as well. I'll always thank him for the natty, but there were 3-4 better UT teams than the '98 team that somehow found a way to fall short, and a lot of that falls on Fulmer. If not a net negative then he is neutral, and his post-coaching time here was a disaster, regardless of his good intentions.

That's quite a stretch. Not only does Fulmer have a title that Dickey does not, Fulmer also had a better winning percentage than Dickey in a much larger number of games.

You definitely can make a case that Dickey was a better coach at UT than Majors and is the 3rd best coach in school history, even though Johnny was around much longer.
We now count the 1967 season as one of our 6 Nattys. Just saying…..

Well Dickey record at U.T. Was .738, and he took over a program that was awful.
Fulmer record was .744 and he took over a program that Majors had finally built to a conference contender almost every year. I’m old enough to remember the late 50’s and early 60’s before Dickey arrived. I’ll always hate him for leaving and I’m glad he failed at Florida.

They’re remodeling the men’s rooms… The Fulmers? What? Too B***?

Well Dickey record at U.T. Was .738, and he took over a program that was awful.
Fulmer record was .744 and he took over a program that Majors had finally built to a conference contender almost every year. I’m old enough to remember the late 50’s and early 60’s before Dickey arrived. I’ll always hate him for leaving and I’m glad he failed at Florida.
Dickey was .708 in 65 games. Fulmer was .740 in 204 games.

A noticeably higher winning % in 139 more games...there really is no comparison, regardless of the state of the programs each of them took over.

Fulmer was a great coach in most every facet required. Really unfortunate he didn't get a 2nd BCS trophy in 2001. There will never be a coach to put a better team on the field than he assembled from 1998ish - 2003ish. AD Fulmer is below average by anyone's assessment I imagine. Fulmer bleeds Orange so I'll give him a thumbs up overall.

I’m gonna smoked for saying this , but here it goes. Firing Fulmer in 2008, was probably the worst mistake Tennessee has ever made. It took almost 15 yrs to get a coach. I like Josh Heupel. People don’t want to hear this, but I think Johnny Majors was a good coach, but I don’t think he has the teams he did, without Fulmers Recruiting. Fulmer averaged over 40 points a game as OC under Majors! Fire away

Good coach with one terrific season. He earned it by collecting a great staff and top tier players. Dude was solid.

I remember his time here fondly but choose to forget and forgive his time in the admin.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Field already has a name. Maybe the donor suites. The Fulmer Level.

I suggest we name an elevator bank at Neyland Stadium after him. His tenure as a player & then the Natty were going up higher floors. Big appreciation for all of this.

And what goes up, definitely went down.

The decision that Tennessee hires, once again, a bammer was basement level.

VN Store

Back