Fulmer’s legacy?

How do you view CPF’s legacy as a coach and AD?

• Good

• Neutral

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.
Phil brought swag to the UT in his best times. He got too complacent after his NC. A human failing a lot of us are subject unto. We have some success and presume we're invincible. Then stop doing what made us successful, or start doing things even stupid wouldn't do. So, I say, thanks Philo for some fine times. And I'm sorry you fell victim to the curse of a typical human fallacy. You are, like the rest of us, only human.

Reactions: headhunter15
Tennessee Legend -
Second greatest coach in history, and they should add his name to the stadium. Fulmer Field at Neyland Stadium.
You might not like things he did, or didn’t do- but that man is ALL VOL.

As for the Pruitt era- he did what he thought was best - trying to beat Saban at his own game. Didn’t work out.

And no one will convince me otherwise - if he were given more time, he would have had us back in the NC picture before too long.

Just my .02

Pruitt was too stubborn to change his offensive philosophy.

Yea, 7 wins in a row, 9 of 10 and 10 of 12 versus the Gumps, tea-baggers, tree-killers, and sucker-punchers. You want to see a Bammer's face turn red? Mention the Albert Mean case and Fulmer's 11-5 record versus Bama and you might need to call for medical help.
Nah, most of them haven’t been fans long enough to know anything but Saban. A large portion of their fanbase are trailer park bandwagoners.

Now that he has been away from the program for a few years now, what would you rate his TOTAL legacy combining both his coaching era and his tenure as AD? I know most of you fellow posters will want to split these into two different judgements but, how do you view his overall legacy now that he has been away from the program?

Why are you leaving out his player days?

He's been:
- All SEC guard
- National Championship
- 2 SEC Championships
- 6 SEC east titles
- was so bad as AD that we backed into Danny White

His blood runs Orange and when he passes he is worthy of lying-in-state for the 10s of thousands who will want to pay their respects. And I hope that's not for many many many more years.

As a coach he brought home a national title and a handful of SEC titles. Could have and should have been more SEC titles, but Ol Ball Coach was a step ahead of him nearly every year. I think Phil should have been let go sooner than he was. I think if he had been canned after 05 we could have gotten maybe a Gary Patterson to come to UT and been a perennial top 5 team and gotten a couple more national titles. Instead the whole thing went sideways faster than kids could cash in their Pilot cards. There is no excuse for what happened to this program between Fulmer and Heupel. I can overlook one bad hire, but 4 in a row?
Gary Patterson ? Lol no he would not have won anything here. And certainly not top 5 perennial. Thats fandom talking. Fulmerdeserves his credit as a coach. He also deserves the critics as AD. But as a coach he won a lot of games and brought hardware. That is to be respected

I am in the minority but I always felt he underachieved, based on the players he recruited. He was the top gun recruiter in the 90's and the master of the living room but his conservative game plans kept him from greatness. When the other schools hired top coaches to compete, he changed nothing in his tactics and lost many times to inferior teams with better coaching. The worst thing that happened to him was winning the NC, he really dug in after that. The 99 and 2001 teams were capable of winning natties but he throttled them, then the continuing downhill slide with loaded teams, 2005 preseason top 5. He finally made some changes but too little too late. Then he hired that moron when he became AD and acted like he knew nothing about what was going down. Thats my take.

He gets extra credit in my book for ‘98. But when you analyze his career here in the stark daylight, he left a lot on the table, and oversaw a precipitous decline of the program….not once, but twice. That leaves his legacy, to me at least, in question.

The 90’s should have seen several more conference championships, based upon the Keystone Cops that were coaching in the SEC. Outside of Spurrier (and that’s a whole other kettle of fish), it wasn’t exactly a who’s who of coaching talent. Our talent was as good as anyone’s, yet we came away with very little hardware for such a dominant decade. To me, he was a great recruiter, and an average coach. He won big when he had the superior talent. When things were more even (Florida) he struggled.

Then there was the decline that can be charted after wining the Natty. This is highlighted by the terrible record against ranked teams post-98. He damaged his own legacy by staying too long, and by failing to adapt as the game changed.

The ill-advised play by the old guard at our lowest point (or so we thought) to push him into the AD seat seals it for me. That seemed to be an ego driven decision by Fulmer. He knew he wasn’t an AD, but in my opinion, took the job to rehab his reputation rather than the health of the program(s). The contrast between his administration and that of Danny Whites could not be more stark…which doesn’t help Phil any.

He was a player, and when he had the pieces he needed, a very successful coach. I appreciate his positive contributions. I hold no ill will, but to me his legacy falls far short of where it should have been, both at Tennesse and in the history of college football.

Tennessee Legend -
Second greatest coach in history, and they should add his name to the stadium. Fulmer Field at Neyland Stadium.
You might not like things he did, or didn’t do- but that man is ALL VOL.

As for the Pruitt era- he did what he thought was best - trying to beat Saban at his own game. Didn’t work out.

And no one will convince me otherwise - if he were given more time, he would have had us back in the NC picture before too long.

Just my .02
With this rationale we need to change the field name from Sheilds-Watkins to Spurrier since he owned Fulmer, even when we had the better talent.

He gets extra credit in my book for ‘98. But when you analyze his career here in the stark daylight, he left a lot on the table, and oversaw a precipitous decline of the program….not once, but twice. That leaves his legacy, to me at least, in question.

The 90’s should have seen several more conference championships, based upon the Keystone Cops that were coaching in the SEC. Outside of Spurrier (and that’s a whole other kettle of fish), it wasn’t exactly a who’s who of coaching talent. Our talent was as good as anyone’s, yet we came away with very little hardware for such a dominant decade. To me, he was a great recruiter, and an average coach. He won big when he had the superior talent. When things were more even (Florida) he struggled.

Then there was the decline that can be charted after wining the Natty. This is highlighted by the terrible record against ranked teams post-98. He damaged his own legacy by staying too long, and by failing to adapt as the game changed.

The ill-advised play by the old guard at our lowest point (or so we thought) to push him into the AD seat seals it for me. That seemed to be an ego driven decision by Fulmer. He knew he wasn’t an AD, but in my opinion, took the job to rehab his reputation rather than the health of the program(s). The contrast between his administration and that of Danny Whites could not be more stark…which doesn’t help Phil any.

He was a player, and when he had the pieces he needed, a very successful coach. I appreciate his positive contributions. I hold no ill will, but to me his legacy falls far short of where it should have been, both at Tennesse and in the history of college football.
Well said.

And for all the dominance in talent, without an incredible amount of luck that season and one never-before-seen-fluke play in one game he doesn't play in 98 for a Natty.

For those of you saying he wouldn’t have been this w/o Cut or Chavis, I see your point, but he also was their boss. He kept them on, he allowed them to be who they were. You can’t fault someone for surrounding themselves with smart people. In fact, one of the great traits that effective leaders have is surrounding themselves with smart, driven people.

I think Fulmer should have been fired earlier, was against him being named athletic director, and was glad to see him fired from that position as well. That being said, with the national title and two SEC titles, of course his legacy is a good one.

Reactions: BigOrangeSky
The fact that CPF hired Beldar (Pruitt) and him being a hardened Bammer from Alerbammer,where he taught all the kids in Rainsville Ala. to tie their shoes.This alone in my opinion makes him a complete failure! JMO

Attachments

• UT-cafego38.jpg
    UT-cafego38.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 0
He squandered quite a bit of talent. He often had as much or more talent throughout the mid 90’s to the mid 2000’s and lost the games that he shouldn’t have and rarely won those that he shouldn’t have.

I’ve said it before and that is coach Cut was the real force for the good years Fulmer had as coach and his time as AD was a failure by anyone’s standard.

To me he was a net negative and that is saying something for a coach who won a national title.
Fulmer was the reason we often had more talent because he was a great recruiter and hired a great staff that were also great recruiters. Without Fulmer there is no NC that year. He is the one who made Cutcliffe and Chavis OC/DC and hired other excellent position coaches.

Not disagreeing our teams didn't always live up to their potential, but to say his impact overall was negative is absurd.

Last edited:
His legacy will be fine because before too long, nobody is going to even remember that Fulmer: A) Had a couple of losing seasons and floundered a little at the end; or B) ever had the AD job.

Fulmer was the reason we often had more talent because he was a great recruiter and hired a great staff that were also great recruiters. Without Fulmer there is no NC that year. He is the one who hired Cutcliffe and Chavis as well as the other excellent position coaches.

Not disagreeing our teams didn't always live up to their potential, but to say his impact overall was negative is absurd.
You may want to confirm who hired Chavis and Cutcliffe.

For all the goodwill that Hammy got for hiring Bruce, he lost it trying to pinch pennies with Gary P and then with Lane's buyout...
You know what's hilarious is that as bad as Hammy, Hart, and Currie were they each made one great coaching hire. Hammy hired Pearl, Hart hired Barnes, and (perhaps the most shocking) Currie hired Vitello.

Those are all not just good, but outstanding hires made by guys who on the whole were horrible ADs.

VN Store

Back