What’s so frustrating about this season…

chattavol420

Is that it was always going to go this way, but didn’t have to. We all saw Milton play prior to this year and he just can’t consistently hit wideopen deep shots. Nor does he consistently make intelligent/savvy plays. We’ve seen him running out of bounds with no time on the clock, throwing the ball away on fourth down, and sliding shot of the 1st down line.

Some of us (myself included) convinced ourselves, that if anybody can turn a “JG-esc”quarterback into an all American, it’s hypo. But the truth is, nobody can’t mold a guy that doesn’t have that it factor into a stud qb.

Now, you might say the Mizzou loss isn’t on Milton look at his stats bla bla. But I beg to differ. Heupel’s offense isn’t designed to be a smash mouth/run between the tackles all day offense. It’s designed to take constant deep shots down the middle of the field. But after the uf loss and a couple of close games (that included tons of horrible missed throws)…Heupel had to go to the run heavy offense because Milton can’t hit a high enough percentage of those throws. However, mizzou sold out to stop the run by loading the box and playing a lot of man to man coverages. We couldn’t take advantage.

Milton isn’t capable of putting the team on his back and going looking for dinner. And you can’t beat really good teams without that capability. He even got away from running against Mizzou which has helped the offense tremendously over the latter part of the season. When he did run he was often timid and indecisive which prevented him from picking up the available yardage.

The positive is that I believe Milton will be the only qb heupel put out on the field during his time here that doesn’t end up putting up monster numbers. But this year sucks. And it didn’t have to…

Yea Milton wouldn't start for majority of the SEC teams. I think it's just unfortunate timing that Heupel's best option at the time was recruiting Milton to a school no highly touted QB prospect wanted to go too.

"What is so frustrating"..... Is the amount of people complaining and whining. We aren't a SEC championship roster. We haven't been one in decades. Nico will be the first high school recruit QB our coach rolls out there. You haven't even seen Huepels offense yet. You saw the Hooker & Hyatt show last year. 🍷 & 🧀

The most concerning part of this season to me has been everytime the opponent got physical, the Vols backed off. Florida, Alabama & Missouri all did this to win the game. In this league, that has to change.

Tennessee has a lot of 4, 5 & even 6 yr guys on the LOS. Physical play shouldn’t be a problem.

"What is so frustrating"..... Is the amount of people complaining and whining. We aren't a SEC championship roster. We haven't been one in decades. Nico will be the first high school recruit QB our coach rolls out there. You haven't even seen Huepels offense yet. You saw the Hooker & Hyatt show last year. 🍷 & 🧀
What should we expect to see with Huepel’s offense?

Milton has all the physical tools, but none of the mental tools. Our offense is designed to take advantage of what the defense gives you, but Milton can’t figure out what that is. Time and time again last week he handed the ball off to a running back when the defensive player he was supposed to read crashed down. Mizu was stuffing the middle and forcing Milton to keep, and he couldn’t take advantage of it.

You obviously haven’t taken the time to rewatch the game looking at the rest of the team. We were trying to run against a 3 man front and couldn’t block them.
People hammer Joe for not throwing deep but the opponents have played 2 & 3 deep consistently since Florida shut them down with it. Joe & receivers inconsistent play in short game has allowed them to settle in it all game. Physical teams (Fla, Al, Mo) have stuffed Vols run playing 5 & 6 in the box.

Reactions: posivol
Is that it was always going to go this way, but didn’t have to. We all saw Milton play prior to this year and he just can’t consistently hit wideopen deep shots. Nor does he consistently make intelligent/savvy plays. We’ve seen him running out of bounds with no time on the clock, throwing the ball away on fourth down, and sliding shot of the 1st down line.

Some of us (myself included) convinced ourselves, that if anybody can turn a “JG-esc”quarterback into an all American, it’s hypo. But the truth is, nobody can’t mold a guy that doesn’t have that it factor into a stud qb.

Now, you might say the Mizzou loss isn’t on Milton look at his stats bla bla. But I beg to differ. Heupel’s offense isn’t designed to be a smash mouth/run between the tackles all day offense. It’s designed to take constant deep shots down the middle of the field. But after the uf loss and a couple of close games (that included tons of horrible missed throws)…Heupel had to go to the run heavy offense because Milton can’t hit a high enough percentage of those throws. However, mizzou sold out to stop the run by loading the box and playing a lot of man to man coverages. We couldn’t take advantage.

Milton isn’t capable of putting the team on his back and going looking for dinner. And you can’t beat really good teams without that capability. He even got away from running against Mizzou which has helped the offense tremendously over the latter part of the season. When he did run he was often timid and indecisive which prevented him from picking up the available yardage.

The positive is that I believe Milton will be the only qb heupel put out on the field during his time here that doesn’t end up putting up monster numbers. But this year sucks. And it didn’t have to…

I've had more than one person, that I trust and they know football, tell me that what was accomplished last year not likely to be repeated very often. They indicated that was a special and unexpected season. I guess time will tell...

I've had more than one person, that I trust and they know football, tell me that what was accomplished last year not likely to be repeated very often. They indicated that was a special and unexpected season. I guess time will tell...
Do they think that because the players on last years team were the right ones to run the system, and were special in that regard? Or do they think the system caught people off guard, and having the players that could run it, made the system effective but not repeatable?

One seems like it could be mitigated by recruiting, the other seems like a string of 8 - 4ish seasons.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

I thought last week's game was going to be the worst football I've ever seen because of only scoring 7pts. But then I watched the Jets and Raiders on Sunday Night Football.

Do they think that because the players on last years team were the right ones to run the system, and were special in that regard? Or do they think the system caught people off guard, and having the players that could run it, made the system effective but not repeatable?

One seems like it could be mitigated by recruiting, the other seems like a string of 8 - 4ish seasons.

meshed due to Hooker, WRs and run game. They feel like be quite sometime to have players that in tune with the system. Be difficult to replicate. Just educated opinions I realize but they truly felt it was unusual to be that efficient.

Many, many fans did not expect an 11 win season last year. Lot of people really surprised by it. and it has raised the expectations on Heupel 10 fold. Exactly why there is this disappointment this year.

Talked to my Bulldog buddy, actually texted, he said all summer they were talking about how loud Neyland would be but now they think you will be able to hear a pin drop. They said after the Mizzo beatdown every Vol has given up and realized SEC will always belong to the big Dogs and Vols goal is to be an 8-win team. He said everyone should be quiet when the Dogs have the ball like the same courteousy Dogs showed for the Vols last year.

Talked to my Bulldog buddy, actually texted, he said all summer they were talking about how loud Neyland would be but now they think you will be able to hear a pin drop. They said after the Mizzo beatdown every Vol has given up and realized SEC will always belong to the big Dogs and Vols goal is to be an 8-win team. He said everyone should be quiet when the Dogs have the ball like the same courteousy Dogs showed for the Vols last year.
Your “Bulldog” buddy sounds just like every Bulldog fan I’ve ever known…an obnoxious *sshole.

The most frustrating thing for me this year is our complete no show on the road in 3 games this year. UF, Bama and Mizzou. Lack of leadership? Lack of confidence? Intimidation? Don't know, but it's a thing with this years team for some reason.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
The defense takes a lot of flack, and deservedly so at times, but I think it's bizarre how the offense has performed in the second half this year.

It think it's been 5 games we've had 1 or zero offensive TDs in the second half. If not for a miracle catch we wouldn't have even scored against Mizzou.

Milton hasn’t had a terrible year his stats are pretty good he’s just not a top level QB and he can’t carry the team on his shoulders like Hooker did. His QB awareness is also a little slow sometimes.

The problem IS our QB whisperer THOUGHT Milton was top level QB when he actually was not. That should give all of us pause, especially Danny White.

The most frustrating thing for me this year is our complete no show on the road in 3 games this year. UF, Bama and Mizzou. Lack of leadership? Lack of confidence? Intimidation? Don't know, but it's a thing with this years team for some reason.
The team showed up at Alabama. I can’t complain about the first half. Hell, up 13 at half was impressive. It was when Bama decided to get real physical was the issue.

I couldn’t have a buddy like that and if I did it would be short lived. He’d end up with some swollen and darkened facial tissue. I have very little tolerance for folks that talk trash all of the time and particularly a dog fan.

VN Store

Back