Recruiting Football Talk VII

That may be true. All i know is that Ms State team couldn't score. Most State fans i know loved their defense
True. And there is a lot to like about the scheme and the flexibility it gives you. Biggest problem for UT with the 3-3-5 is the number 5. If you can't find 4 how are you gonna find 5?

we are 4th in the SEC in ppg allowed and have the offense that has the lowest TOP…. i don’t know what people are expecting…Looks like a guy that gets a raise…. not fired.
I dont know about getting a raise, but certainly not getting fired. If he continues to improve like he has been, we'll have a top15 defense next season. Hopefully he stops over-thinking the game plan and just does what's been working.

Reactions: Govolsman98
we are 4th in the SEC in ppg allowed and have the offense that has the lowest TOP…. i don’t know what people are expecting…Looks like a guy that gets a raise…. not fired.
While true
When 5 went down and we got no rush the defense was just like last year
LOST
Banks was good bc of garner
Without the dline playing great this year we are right back at what we’ve been the past two years
His defense hasn’t been great and has big holes in it that he doesn’t or hasn’t fixed in three years and continues to play older guys who are slow and don’t deserve to play quite frankly. Three years of the same guys getting beat and you still send them back out
Cmon man
Personally I’m ready for a change with him and CWM
Need some Fresh blood in there

Our biggest problem has been the offense this year. Averaging 20.5 points while only giving up 23 in SEC play is just not good enough. Hopefully we'll have improved wide receiver and QB play next season because it simply hasn't been good enough this year
Wrs are definitely not as talented or fast
Oline imo was like last year
Just missing talent on the outside
DT was coming along
Hope he’s ok

Reactions: Govolsman98
Not to pull a Butch, but I am going to speak to complimentary football

Our defense depends on the offense scoring more often than not and applying pressure to the opponent's offense to play perfect or keep pace with us

Our passing game being a failure this year (we don't have to get into the why of that) has doomed our defense

Last year, opposing coaches felt pressure to step up, and if they didn't feel the pressure, their QB sure as hell did. It led to mistakes.

Our defense didn't HAVE TO make big stands or pivotal turnovers, but the reputation that our offense carried indirectly led to those mistakes. One thing about Tennessee Football last year, they were going to score. Even when you thought you put them away, even when you just burned your best play, even when the momentum seemed to turn, even when you didn't need them to and prayed that they wouldn't. Tennessee was going to score.

We don't score now. Makes a world of difference for a defense.

I'm not sure what people want. He took over a coal mine fire and has improved it quite a bit every year. .
This year's defense + last year's offense, or even just a good-not-great passing game would be much better. It's frustrating.

Would have stayed in the game with Florida and made them nervous.

Would have had Alabama in the exact same situation that they were in against us early last year.

Wouldn't have given up in Columbia. Probably similar game to Mizzou last year.

Would have the UGA game teed up like 2022 Bama.

It just sucks. The passing game fell off of a cliff.

Last edited:
I dont know about getting a raise, but certainly not getting fired. If he continues to improve like he has been, we'll have a top15 defense next season. Hopefully he stops over-thinking the game plan and just does what's been working.
i was just meaning being in the top 3rd of defenses in the conference usually leads to raises instead of firings.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Wrs are definitely not as talented or fast
Oline imo was like last year
Just missing talent on the outside
DT was coming along
Hope he’s ok
Absolutely. Hopefully DTs injury isn't too bad and he can get back for the bowl game to keep that momentum going. I'm worried about him though because he seems to have a lot of injury problems

they held the ball for 29 minutes per game while we had it for 24… personal opinions sometimes don’t match the facts.

They also played way slower than us on offense. Probably to try to shorten games and stay in it.

But you may be right and there's not a huge difference. I dont know. To me, he's very intriguing.

All of that to say, hand-wringing about the defensive coordinator and changes there is not time well spent.

They have improved year over year. The offense is not where it needs to be, at all. Those are two facts.

"Oh but they make me mad on third downs!" We are not ready to field an elite defense yet.

We do not have the depth at LB to make it a full season yet.

We do not have the depth or talent at DB, especially safety, to make it a full season yet.

This offseason we have to somehow find 3+ OL in the portal. A near impossible task on its own. Then add in that we still need to fill holes on defense, and find a WR already on our roster or in the portal that wants to step up.

These are much bigger problems. I can't take grading our defense seriously with all of the other things that are going wrong, and all of the other problems that we have to fix.

I think most of us have been largely ok with the defensive performance this year, with occasional worries. Whereas we have been largely worried with the passing game, with occasional ok's. I'm not hanging our failures on the defense for that reason.

Last edited:
@Smyrna ATL Vol
@LA Vol
and anyone else who might be in the know.

Can you guys speak on what Heupel’s relationship is with other coaches?Meaning is he liked? Disliked? Really disliked? From my angle it comes across as though there have been a lot of short, icy hand shakes. Issues w/ Beamer, Dorkowitz , Mora, etc… we’ve had postgame scuffles in several games. I was curious what your takes on all of that is.
Whether it be right or wrong, I don’t like how we’ve handled losses to Florida and Mizzou towards the end of the game. Calling timeouts and otherwise.

Reactions: 05_never_again
If he was only DC for home games, he'd be fine. He seems to do great in Neyland. Not so much on the road. It's the drastic difference that makes me lean toward replacing him.

Reactions: Volunteer821
@Smyrna ATL Vol
@LA Vol
and anyone else who might be in the know.

Can you guys speak on what Heupel’s relationship is with other coaches?Meaning is he liked? Disliked? Really disliked? From my angle it comes across as though there have been a lot of short, icy hand shakes. Issues w/ Beamer, Dorkowitz , Mora, etc… we’ve had postgame scuffles in several games. I was curious what your takes on all of that is.
Whether it be right or wrong, I don’t like how we’ve handled losses to Florida and Mizzou towards the end of the game. Calling timeouts and otherwise.
The timeouts were because Napier was being an ass.

Im a fan of use acting like idiots on QB kneels when the game is over. You have 60 minutes to hit someone and you wait until the final 30 seconds. Makes us look dumb.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Our biggest problem has been the offense this year. Averaging 20.5 points while only giving up 23 in SEC play is just not good enough. Hopefully we'll have improved wide receiver and QB play next season because it simply hasn't been good enough this year
Biggest problem is a defense that falls apart on the road. Even in our one road win, we gave up 27 points.

Thanks jimmy!
Twss GIF - TWSS - Discover & Share GIFs

USF's records the last three years:

2020 = 1-8
2021 = 2-10
2022 = 1-11
2023 = 5-5

Alex Golesh is a hell of a coach. I think we sometime might not have factored that as much as we should have with our success last year. As Halzle improves, we will too. He is young and seems like a smart guy. He has a good mentor. I believe he will get better with his play calling and our personnel will certainly improve in years to come.
Halzle will improve for sure. Golesh had a loaded deck last year but over the 2 years he was OC and 1 year at UCF, it was clear that he was just a really good coach.

We talk about Matt Cambpell at Iowa State and how he should have left and we all had him on our white whale bingo card during the last coaching search. Do you know who was the Tight Ends coach for the first 3 years with Cambpell when they went 8-5 twice and were ranked Top 25 for the first time in 15 years? Golesh. Year before he got there TE caught 5 passes total all year. 5. Golesh’s last year at Iowa State? TEs had 864 yards combined between a First team All-Big12 TE who was also 2nd team All-American TE, and his back up who was 2nd team All-Big12.

Everywhere Golesh has went, his unit has performed. I don’t expect USF to be any different. I bet he’s coaching at a P5 program within 2-3 years.

That PPG rank is much better than i would have expected.

Its still hard to feel great after Missouri kicks our teeth in. Did we even get one stop in that game? Sheesh its all a nightmarish blur in my mind at this point. It sure didn't feel like it.

Where did that defense from the Clemson game go? Haven't seen that aggression in awhile. Feel like it shows up for halves at a time here and there. But not often enough.

They have been sneakily good at holding teams to FGs tho. So there's that.

I'm not anti-Banks. I think he's been alright. Sometimes great. Sometimes really awful. I think thats fair. Maybe we could do better? Thats all im getting at.

The timeouts were because Napier was being an ass.

Im a fan of use acting like idiots on QB kneels when the game is over. You have 60 minutes to hit someone and you wait until the final 30 seconds. Makes us look dumb.
I agree. That’s a bs play. You don’t do that. It’s bothering me that it’s happened more than once.

Reactions: SmokinBob
If they had a bit of sense, they'd get Lance Leipold

Wasn’t that the dude we were drooling over a few years back because he literally got every recruit and their momma?…living room robbery in front of dad and the whole family 😂😂 sounds like we need him..I’m getting tired of seeing our DB’s not turn around and LB’s being out of place.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Halzle will improve for sure. Golesh had a loaded deck last year but over the 2 years he was OC and 1 year at UCF, it was clear that he was just a really good coach.

We talk about Matt Cambpell at Iowa State and how he should have left and we all had him on our white whale bingo card during the last coaching search. Do you know who was the Tight Ends coach for the first 3 years with Cambpell when they went 8-5 twice and were ranked Top 25 for the first time in 15 years? Golesh. Year before he got there TE caught 5 passes total all year. 5. Golesh’s last year at Iowa State? TEs had 864 yards combined between a First team All-Big12 TE who was also 2nd team All-American TE, and his back up who was 2nd team All-Big12.

Everywhere Golesh has went, his unit has performed. I don’t expect USF to be any different. I bet he’s coaching at a P5 program within 2-3 years.
Thank you for this. Golesh is fantastic and we love him at USF.

VN Store

Back