ESPN - Hooker - Heisman

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
I was cruising the web this morning and came across this McGee Midseason article on Hookers chance for the Heisman. Unless I am reading the article wrong they (McGee) just said Hooker will not win it because he plays for Tennessee, did I read this wrong? It says he outplayed Bryce Young but at the end of the year he will come up short

McGee's midseason awards: From Chase Brown to Mike Leach to John Daly

The Peyton Manning October Heisman Award

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee. No one ever had a bigger lead in the midseason Heisman Trophy race than the original Tennessee Sheriff did in 1997, but as we know now, Manning finished second in December, just as fellow Vols Hank Lauricella, Johnny Majors and Heath Shuler did before him. Hooker outdueled reigning stiff arm king Bryce Young in Neyland Stadium, but when the ballots are cast at season's end, Hooker will still have to overcome Vols' Heisman history and also the recent history of guys winning the game but losing the trophy. See: Deshaun Watson vs. Lamar Jackson (Clemson 42, Louisville 36 in 2016). Then again, Hooker and his team would 100% take Watson's '16 consolation prize right now. Celebrating a natty in January.

Hook is awesome, but would need to lead us to the SEC Championship by beating Georgia to really stand a chance. I’m proud of his accomplishments thus far and improvement from last year. Think about what Hype will do with a QB that has 3 years under his leadership.

I think some of it is a question as to is it Huepel's system or Hooker's greatness. I think both of course. Even so, I think we will have to have a stellar game against GA and beat them and win out. Pretty much only if we go 12-0 does Hooker get the Heisman IMO. Even if we lose to GA but he plays well, I think he will end in the top 3 though.

It’s CJ Stroud’s to lose at this point. Hooker will end up a finalist though. He’s in 2nd place right now and leads the SEC. As long as he leads the Vols to 11-1, maybe 10-2, he’ll go to NY.
Hooker gets screwed because of the Regional Voting as it ties to the Teams that these players represent.

You’re a portal transfer guy and in your second season, in a system still new to everyone on the team, you are 1st / 2nd in the Heisman running mid season. That’s an accomplishment Hendon can be damn proud of no matter what because that shows he worked for it.

I was cruising the web this morning and came across this McGee Midseason article on Hookers chance for the Heisman. Unless I am reading the article wrong they (McGee) just said Hooker will not win it because he plays for Tennessee, did I read this wrong? It says he outplayed Bryce Young but at the end of the year he will come up short

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee. No one ever had a bigger lead in the midseason Heisman Trophy race than the original Tennessee Sheriff did in 1997, but as we know now, Manning finished second in December, just as fellow Vols Hank Lauricella, Johnny Majors and Heath Shuler did before him. Hooker outdueled reigning stiff arm king Bryce Young in Neyland Stadium, but when the ballots are cast at season's end, Hooker will still have to overcome Vols' Heisman history and also the recent history of guys winning the game but losing the trophy. See: Deshaun Watson vs. Lamar Jackson (Clemson 42, Louisville 36 in 2016). Then again, Hooker and his team would 100% take Watson's '16 consolation prize right now. Celebrating a natty in January.
McGee is a Tennessee alum and suffers from BVS. ESPN doesn't have ties to the B1G like they did in 1997. They do have ties to the SEC and if they are going to pull a 1997, it won't be against us.

I've already said, the yankee Heisman voters won't vote for a Tennessee nominee, talk about prejudice. Mark my word. Woodson over Manning--no way!

I agree with those who think the regional voting will make it difficult for HH to win. Aside from the politics, Young Will enough votes to make it hard for either of them to win.

"If" he throws for 300+ against UGA and we get the win on the road, it will be a 2 player race for the trophy. A loss against UGA doesn't take him out of it, but it will be the excuse the "experts" give for him not winning it.

You’re a portal transfer guy and in your second season, in a system still new to everyone on the team, you are 1st / 2nd in the Heisman running mid season. That’s an accomplishment Hendon can be damn proud of no matter what because that shows he worked for it.
I agree. When Character plays into it HH is the leader. When overcoming Adversity HH is the Leader. The Book of Scripture and his leadership traits are not gimmicks, they are who he is and you would believe that a voter would look at the Overall body of work vs just the field and team play.

Hard to pass up on HH when you consider all of the above and the fact that his talent and success on the field are just the additives to his Heisman Run.

The best picture and video I witnessed after the Alabama Game was HH and mother embracing on the field for a long period of time. His head buried in his mother's embrace told me he had a moment and was deserving of the Heisman no matter the outcome. Sent Chills down my spine.

HH= HH

Hendon Hooker will need to beat last year's Heisman winner TWICE (HH) to win it himself.

Sort of joking, but I do believe he will have that chance and that he will capitalize on it.

Reactions: WillisWG
Good grief that website is a trainwreck. Why on earth is Hendon not a option to just select. Absolutely crazy you have to go hunt for Tennessee in a list that is in some bat **** crazy order and then dig for Hendon.
I know. How did we miss this?

Reactions: KINGSVOL

The voters for the heisman much like the pollsters will have bias. When the trophy isn't earned on the field of play but by votes, it's an uphill battle for Tennessee and anyone who dons the orange. If arguably the greatest qb the game has ever seen, finished second to a defensive back, I can't imagine any scenario that would lead to Hooker breaking thru.

VN Store

Back