94. Mel Renfro, Oregon
95. Travis Etienne, Clemson
96. Donny Anderson, Texas Tech
97. Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois
98. Rueben Mayes, Washington State
99. Ronnie Harmon, Iowa
100. Greg Lewis, Washington

Discuss

We really don’t have a running back on this list? Mike Hart? Garett Wolfe? Darnell Autry? Garrison Hearst? But no Chuck Webb, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Travis Stephens… I’m sure you guys could rattle off some more

Just saw this, with all due respect to the dead, but Cedric Benson at #32? Nah

Last edited:
Reactions: Carp
It's all subjective. While Salaam had a phemonenal junior season (6.9 per carry and 24 TD's), he did it for just one year. Many in the top 30 did it over multiple years.

We can argue about the Big Ten, but all of the Wisconsin backs have incredible numbers over multiple years. I think Marshall Faulk is too low. I watched him when I was a kid and thought he was electric in college.

It is hard for me to believe that no UT player is on that list.

Reactions: jp1
Ron Dayne never seemed that good to me. He was like a poor mans Jerome Bettis .

7100 total rushing yards. Two years with 2,000+. Career average of 5.8 yards per carry. 71 total TD's. He didn't really make it in the pros, and they did have a run heavy offense. But those numbers are elite in college.

7100 total rushing yards. Two years with 2,000+. Career average of 5.8 yards per carry. 71 total TD's. He didn't really make it in the pros, and they did have a run heavy offense. But those numbers are elite in college.
He was a great college player. I shouldn’t discount that, but I guess I compare him to Bettis bc they were similar big, between the tackles runners .

Reactions: BUBear
I think “best” in terms of hardest to replicate. Kind of like performance over replacement player. I think clearly you can plug in a talented RB into that Wisconsin offense and they’ll put up big numbers. When I watched them play I didn’t feel like they were the best running backs I’d ever seen. Just extremely effective in the system.

I think “best” in terms of hardest to replicate. Kind of like performance over replacement player. I think clearly you can plug in a talented RB into that Wisconsin offense and they’ll put up big numbers. When I watched them play I didn’t feel like they were the best running backs I’d ever seen. Just extremely effective in the system.

That's fair, but Melvin Gordon averaged 7.8 yards per carry in his career. That's a stat I like to look at it instead of overall yards. I think production has to be part of the equation in college. Taylor and Gordon have turned out to be above average professional players.

I despise Notre Dame but How could they not have one RB on this list? George Rogers from USC JR must have been before my time.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
They are focusing way too much on raw stats vs overall performance. So in essence, RBs like Jamal Lewis and "Cadillac" Williams get punished for splitting carries with other backs. "Cadillac" Williams never had a 2000 yard season, but he very easily could've if he weren't splitting carries with another all-time RB, Ronnie Brown. I take Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown over Ki-jana Carter any day of the week.

Regardless, Herschel is #1 if we're talking about college. Arguably, the greatest college player of all-time.

Last edited:
They are focusing way too much on raw stats vs overall performance. So in essence, RBs like Jamal Lewis and "Cadillac" Williams get punished for splitting carries with other backs. "Cadillac" Williams never had a 2000 yard season, but he very easily could've if he weren't splitting carries with another all-time RB, Ronnie Brown. I take Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown over Ki-jana Carter any day of the week.

Note, by this same terrible standard, Johnny Majors and Jim Brown are excluded. Majors played both RB and QB, but the game was just different back then; you didn't really have 2000 yard backs in that era. It was a more defensive era.

Regardless, Herschel is #1 if we're talking about college. Arguably, the greatest college player of all-time.

Majors and Jim Brown didn't play in the last 60 years. I have no problem with Sanders as 1, but Walker was great. I think their top 10 is generally fine.

Every Wisconsin football highlight I've ever seen is one of their RBs taking a handoff, there being a huge hole, and running 70 yards for a TD. I've never been wowed by their backs...it seems like they always have an awesome offensive line.
This exactly 😂

VN Store

Back