Pick’em - Iona - 2/25-2/27 - FORMAT CHANGE - Change your pick if already posted

FORMAT CHANGE - RUN DIFFERENTIAL

View attachment 435578
Iona Gaels
0-3

My gawd! Nobody had a more cursed season in 2021 than theIona Gaels (well, except for NC State forfeiting a chance to win the national title in Omaha due to Covid, but I digress). The Maroon & Gold didn’t play their first game till March 21st. Then, after being hit with a big ole Covid stick, saw their season end abruptly after a doubleheader at Manhattan on April 7th. Yes, the Gaels got all of 18 days of a season and played just four different teams during that stretch.

Now, the Gaels program has an all-new leader and coaching staff. Conor Burke takes the reigns after being an assistant at Dartmouth and Maine over the last five seasons. So, hopefully a new energy takes ground here and turns this program around. There will be a lot of new faces on the roster as well, but it still should bode better than last year’s result. Coach Burke says this is a fundamentally sound team and how the newbies respond will determine the ceiling.

After the conclusion of the fall, the pitching rotation had a different look to it as RHP Paul Sullivan, who only threw two innings last year, is the expected Friday starter. Being a senior with a three-pitch mix, Sullivan hasn’t pitched since 2019 when he went 3-4, 5.79 in 16 appearances and three starts. The Helmstetter brothers will be big contributors once again with Blake possibly taking over the No. 2 role after going 1-2, 5.05 last season, and Drew is bringing his 0-1, 5.79 numbers back to possibly take over the Tuesday starter role or be a key contributor out of the bullpen. They are both left-handed, heavy-strike throwers who give up bases on balls rather begrudgingly. The Sunday starters spot should go to incoming frosh Nick Chiaia, who had a solid fall and a fastball that has tons of late movement. Look for Loncey Conyers to head up the bullpen with his bulldog mentality and low-90s heat. Also look for Michael Untracht (0-0, 3.00 in three appearances) to make an impact. He’s not only a former goaltender in hockey, he also made 13 appearances in 2019 and held opposing batters to a .217 average.

Only four starters return to the batting order but two of them are Will Jennings and Jake Field, a pair of senior outfielders who led the Gaels with stellar batting averages of .372 and .328 respectively. The coaches both love their line-drive hitting to all fields and versatility. A trio of seniors will lead the infield, including catcher Brad Polinski (.222), 2B Nick Carnavale (.200) and SS Luca Lotito, who started his career as a freshman at Pitt. All three are lauded by the coaching staff for being stellar defenders. Also keep an eye on DH Jaz Burton, a very athletic 6’3, 225-pound talent who adds a power bat to the order.

Run Differential 28.5
Simply Reply Over or Under for how many runs we outscore Iona in the 3 Games
Doesn’t matter if we win all 3 or not
no double-up this weekend

POINTS SYSTEM FOR WEEKEND PLAY
4 Points for a correct answer

Rules are simple and may change without notice:

1. Simply pick how the Vols will fair during the weekend series or weekday game
2. Reply with Sweep, 2-1, 1-2 or Swept
3. At the end of the season (tournaments included) a winner will be selected by their correct predictions and awarded a special prize on behalf of OldTimer and not to exceed OT's allotted budget
4. All predictions must be submitted by the 1st pitch of the 1st Game, any edits after the start of the game will result in a disqualification for that Series or Game and points will be deducted
5. You do not have to play every week, total points won will win
6. Point system may be changed at my discretion at any time
7. More rules may be added at my discretion
8. No wagering, 2022 Pick'em is for the enjoyment of the Volnation forums.
9. Disputes will be handled by a 3 person panel: Me, Myself and I
10. The panel may elect to limit the number of Pick'em contestants and/or remove any Contestant at anytime

Again, if there is an EDIT after the game starts on your post, your prediction doesn't count and points will be deducted at OT's discretion

Pick with your gut and not your heart!!! - OT

Over.

FORMAT CHANGE - RUN DIFFERENTIAL

View attachment 435578
Iona Gaels
0-3

My gawd! Nobody had a more cursed season in 2021 than theIona Gaels (well, except for NC State forfeiting a chance to win the national title in Omaha due to Covid, but I digress). The Maroon & Gold didn’t play their first game till March 21st. Then, after being hit with a big ole Covid stick, saw their season end abruptly after a doubleheader at Manhattan on April 7th. Yes, the Gaels got all of 18 days of a season and played just four different teams during that stretch.

Now, the Gaels program has an all-new leader and coaching staff. Conor Burke takes the reigns after being an assistant at Dartmouth and Maine over the last five seasons. So, hopefully a new energy takes ground here and turns this program around. There will be a lot of new faces on the roster as well, but it still should bode better than last year’s result. Coach Burke says this is a fundamentally sound team and how the newbies respond will determine the ceiling.

After the conclusion of the fall, the pitching rotation had a different look to it as RHP Paul Sullivan, who only threw two innings last year, is the expected Friday starter. Being a senior with a three-pitch mix, Sullivan hasn’t pitched since 2019 when he went 3-4, 5.79 in 16 appearances and three starts. The Helmstetter brothers will be big contributors once again with Blake possibly taking over the No. 2 role after going 1-2, 5.05 last season, and Drew is bringing his 0-1, 5.79 numbers back to possibly take over the Tuesday starter role or be a key contributor out of the bullpen. They are both left-handed, heavy-strike throwers who give up bases on balls rather begrudgingly. The Sunday starters spot should go to incoming frosh Nick Chiaia, who had a solid fall and a fastball that has tons of late movement. Look for Loncey Conyers to head up the bullpen with his bulldog mentality and low-90s heat. Also look for Michael Untracht (0-0, 3.00 in three appearances) to make an impact. He’s not only a former goaltender in hockey, he also made 13 appearances in 2019 and held opposing batters to a .217 average.

Only four starters return to the batting order but two of them are Will Jennings and Jake Field, a pair of senior outfielders who led the Gaels with stellar batting averages of .372 and .328 respectively. The coaches both love their line-drive hitting to all fields and versatility. A trio of seniors will lead the infield, including catcher Brad Polinski (.222), 2B Nick Carnavale (.200) and SS Luca Lotito, who started his career as a freshman at Pitt. All three are lauded by the coaching staff for being stellar defenders. Also keep an eye on DH Jaz Burton, a very athletic 6’3, 225-pound talent who adds a power bat to the order.

Run Differential 28.5
Simply Reply Over or Under for how many runs we outscore Iona in the 3 Games
Doesn’t matter if we win all 3 or not
no double-up this weekend

POINTS SYSTEM FOR WEEKEND PLAY
4 Points for a correct answer

Rules are simple and may change without notice:

1. Simply pick how the Vols will fair during the weekend series or weekday game
2. Reply with Sweep, 2-1, 1-2 or Swept
3. At the end of the season (tournaments included) a winner will be selected by their correct predictions and awarded a special prize on behalf of OldTimer and not to exceed OT's allotted budget
4. All predictions must be submitted by the 1st pitch of the 1st Game, any edits after the start of the game will result in a disqualification for that Series or Game and points will be deducted
5. You do not have to play every week, total points won will win
6. Point system may be changed at my discretion at any time
7. More rules may be added at my discretion
8. No wagering, 2022 Pick'em is for the enjoyment of the Volnation forums.
9. Disputes will be handled by a 3 person panel: Me, Myself and I
10. The panel may elect to limit the number of Pick'em contestants and/or remove any Contestant at anytime

Again, if there is an EDIT after the game starts on your post, your prediction doesn't count and points will be deducted at OT's discretion

Pick with your gut and not your heart!!! - OT

VN Store

Back