Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is an EE senior at UT. In one of his classes the discussion is on EVs. Our grid is no where close to be able to handle a large switch to EVs. The surge when everyone gets home and plugs in their vehicle would cause a meltdown. They're studying ways to store energy for those peak surges.
They're studying ways to store energy? Pretty sure that's been figured out....haha jk I know it's more complex than that.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
That's all stupid. We don't need smarter cars, we need less of them on the road. It'd be so much cheaper to just rethink how we do transit, and become less dependent on cars and driving everywhere, at least in urban spaces where the majority of people live in or around. Underground personal transit doesn't make any ****ing sense, whether we're using electric cars or not. We have underground transit that works just fine.

EDIT: And this is from a dyed in the wool car enthusiast. I'd venture that a majority of Americans HATE driving. It's clear that so many people loathe it by the cars that they choose. Building streets where roads are, to allow people, at least in urban or suburban areas to be able to walk or bike to a tram/bus/subway station or shopping center or restaurant so that they wouldn't need a car would free up the roads for those of us who enjoy driving but rage when we hit traffic, especially when you hit traffic for no reason other than congestion, which the 8 figures worth of tax money spent was supposed to solve(looking at you, 24/75 split)

*End transit nerd rant*
I love to drive. I HATE that other people are driving.

I have bought 6 Nissans and loved them all, especially my 2009 Murano I got for half price in 2011 with only 25k miles. Never have had any issues and my Murano saved my life when I got clipped on the interstate at 90mph by west town mall. Ended up t-boning a semi....luckily I hit the center wheels and got thrown across 4-5 lines and slammed into the concrete divider facing oncoming traffic.
Glad you walked away from that..my son is a big Nissan guy. He just bought a loaded Titan and then put a few thousand more into some other upgrades....they already had a Rogue which they have had for four years as their family car.

My lord man..you have limited time for a trip + 3-5,000 miles...there is no electric vehicle on earth that can or ever will make that happen, and even if they do make one, I won't be able to afford it.

What this dumb horse💩 does is effectively ground people like me. It doesn't matter to people in a higher wealth bracket, but it does to me.

Tesla hasn’t hit the lower price point yet, but I have a buddy that just moved here (Alabama)from Maine. His car mapped the route for him with charging stations and effectively drove itself.

While he was waiting during charging stops he plugged his Xbox controller into the car and played games he had loaded. Lol - these teslas are crazy.

My son is an EE senior at UT. In one of his classes the discussion is on EVs. Our grid is no where close to be able to handle a large switch to EVs. The surge when everyone gets home and plugs in their vehicle would cause a meltdown. They're studying ways to store energy for those peak surges.
So you can appreciate the irony of a certain state known for rolling brown outs requiring only EVs on the roads by 2030.

Edit.

When you're pumping gas, you have 4,000 kW of power coming out of that pump.

Your dryer operates at around 4 kW. You really don't need to be a EE to look at that and see how it could be a problem.

That's my problem with a lot of this green energy stuff. The math is right there showing why solar power, wind power, and EV's are not real solutions. But policy makers don't want to hear it.

Last edited:
Worked for a European start up that had a manufacturing plant in the States building batteries big enough to plug into the grid. Ability to give off energy during peak times and recharge during low demand. Company eventually filed for bankruptcy as it ran out of investors willing to keep it afloat, the last being a Russian oligarch… but the science is out there and will eventually come to market
Maybe you can help me out with something; I'm asking anyone who may have some insight/info...

Would it be wise to invest in batteries, a company that has developed a battery that goes almost 800 miles on a single charge? Tesla only goes about 400. Whatever kind of insight you may can offer, I appreciate.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
This is the exact reason why the whole “5 years minimum” crowd on day 1 is dumb. There should be signs early on. Didn’t expect this early with Heupel, but the point remains the same. A coach has to earn 5 years. He’s already shown enough potential to have earned 5 years imo. Barring any locker room collapses. We may go 7-5 next year and 6-6 the next, but I believe this is a coach we should let fully stock the cupboards and see what happens.
It's not dumb, strictly from the standpoint of our situation concerning depth. Even with the portal adds we've made, and will make, it's gonna take time to really get it where you want it.

I've been saying 'get to year 3 & 4 and see what it looks like' for that reason.

That doesn't mean we're a .500 team till then or anything. Doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't win a game, or two, we aren't expected to.

But to get back to realistically, consistently competing for the division... Yeah, that will take a little time.

Maybe you can help me out with something; I'm asking anyone who may have some insight/info...

Would it be wise to invest in batteries, a company that has developed a battery that goes almost 800 miles on a single charge? Tesla only goes about 400. Whatever kind of insight you may can offer, I appreciate.
Batteries will see quite a rise in the future, that's for certain; but knowing which battery company will develop the best technology and take over the market is the crap shoot. Tesla goes 400 today, but I'm sure they're working on 800+. The company that has the 800+ today may not have done it in such a way that it lasts very long, or maybe it gets too hot. The devil is in the details, but batteries are definitely the way of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back