DC hire getting out of hand.

CA_Vol

I have been trying really hard to remain positive about our current situation, but this DC hiring situation is getting out of hand. I’m realistic with how dire our situation is, but we have reached the point of absurdity.

I realize CJH was hired after White received several “no’s”, but am I wrong in saying that it is incredibly short sighted and negligent to have hired Heupel without him having a DC ready to go?

I think it’s well known that his offense puts a lot of pressure on a defense, so it could be reasonably anticipated that hiring a DC was not only incredibly important to Heupels success here, but that it might be difficult to do so under normal circumstances, not to mention with potential NCAA violations looming.

At this point, it is clear to me that White didn’t anticipate how difficult this hire would be under the circumstances and really put himself and the program in a difficult spot by making a head coaching hire who had a very specific deficiency without having that issue already addressed.

I don’t claim to know what the interview process is for a head coach position at a Power 5 school, but I would imagine a basic point of discussion would be potential staff positions. How did White not anticipate this ridiculous scenario playing out?

It sounds a lot like you think they should have hired a DC before hiring a HC. That feels a little backwards to me.

And, if we conceded that the right move is to hire a HC first, then what does it matter how hard hiring a DC ends up being? It isn't like it would have been easier to hire them in any situation. Perhaps he did know how hard it would be, and they are dealing with it the best they can.

Also, you made an "either/or" statement and forgot the "or" part of it.

The conspiracy-esque speculation around here is mind numbing. How about a common sense answer to everything: (1) DW might have looked around a bit, but tabbed JH as a good coach for what the team said they wanted (allegedly family, offense, etc.) (2) He knew the DC was both (a) very important and (b) would be difficult (3) they are doing the best they can in a tricky situation.

I completely agree. It's a bad look. What's the hold up? Wouldn't Rogers have made his decision by now? If so, Conklin should have been hired already. Or, is there a better candidate out there that we haven't thought of?

It's being rumored that White will not let Heupel make his own hires.
That is just a rumor. We have been so crappy as a football team that these coaching searches are the best excitement we have. DW and CJH are in lock step on this, anything else is just rumor and conjecture from a much battered fan base.

I don’t claim to know what the interview process is for a head coach position at a Power 5 school

Maybe the DC was hired a few days ago and they have just not told anyone so that the new hire can work things out with where they are working now. This is much better than the boosters, "fans", media, etc. trying to put in place whom they think is best. A little more professional than in the past.

I have been trying really hard to remain positive about our current situation, but this DC hiring situation is getting out of hand. I’m realistic with how dire our situation is, but we have reached the point of absurdity.

I realize CJH was hired after White received several “no’s”, but am I wrong in saying that it is incredibly short sighted and negligent to have hired Heupel without him having a DC ready to go?

I think it’s well known that his offense puts a lot of pressure on a defense, so it could be reasonably anticipated that hiring a DC was not only incredibly important to Heupels success here, but that it might be difficult to do so under normal circumstances, not to mention with potential NCAA violations looming.

At this point, it is clear to me that White didn’t anticipate how difficult this hire would be under the circumstances and really put himself and the program in a difficult spot by making a head coaching hire who had a very specific deficiency without having that issue already addressed.

I don’t claim to know what the interview process is for a head coach position at a Power 5 school, but I would imagine a basic point of discussion would be potential staff positions. How did White not anticipate this ridiculous scenario playing out?
The only thing getting out of hand are volnation posters.

The bulk of our class has been signed since November, and the first practice isn't for another 60 days. What's the rush?
We have a rare crop of instate talent that we are WAY behind on in recruiting. We have pivotal players still in the portal. We have a brewing media circus on not being able to make this hire. Spring practice is right around the corner.

You can’t possibly believe this is a good thing?

There are even more rumors that this place is where good coaches go to die, so I'm not sure why any of this is surprising.

Reactions: kcvols1
It sounds a lot like you think they should have hired a DC before hiring a HC. That feels a little backwards to me.

And, if we conceded that the right move is to hire a HC first, then what does it matter how hard hiring a DC ends up being? It isn't like it would have been easier to hire them in any situation. Perhaps he did know how hard it would be, and they are dealing with it the best they can.

Also, you made an "either/or" statement and forgot the "or" part of it.

The conspiracy-esque speculation around here is mind numbing. How about a common sense answer to everything: (1) DW might have looked around a bit, but tabbed JH as a good coach for what the team said they wanted (allegedly family, offense, etc.) (2) He knew the DC was both (a) very important and (b) would be difficult (3) they are doing the best they can in a tricky situation.
I in no way said we should hire a DC first and it isn’t conspiracy thinking at all. Good grief.

Most everything you hear is rumors, and that is what is annoying people the most. You are correct about one thing, "You Don't Know"

How did you not anticipate this potentially taking a while?
My guess would be the Head Coach saying the staff would be complete on Monday a week ago. I don't care if it takes a little time to get the right person but the HC shouldn't be making public statements about filling out a staff by a certain time and then having a week go by after his official date without having a staff hired. It obviously creates hysteria as you can see.

there could be several points as to why DW could not anticipate..

He was rejected from several coaches on even discussing the head coaching position.

He spoke with 3-4 prospects and was told no thank you on coming to Tennessee.

He basically defaulted to a guy he knew as being the best he was going to get..

Now, White could have still been waiting to announce Heupel as his head coach while letting him try to find a defensive coordinator before announcing him. How bad would things look if we were still under the impression at this point that White didn't have a head coach??

I love to know how many coaches have been contacted regarding the DC position?? I'm betting it exceeds 20 at this point. Not that Heupel has had conversations with everyone of them, but they were at least asked if they would be interested in discussing the job.

SO here we are.. doubt many UT fans end up thrilled once hire made.. way down the list of potential candidates at this point.

VN Store

Back