Al Washington (Potential DC)

How did you gather that? We were turned down by two black coaches for HC and looks like it's going to be another one for DC. To act like Tennessee, of all places, staff wise hasn't had diversity is laughable.
You know we were turned down? No, you don't..one of your supposed turn downs is already a HC the other an OC.

While I am sure he is a great recruiter, as others have said, recruiting at OSU is light years from recruiting at UT, particularly with NCAA sanctions staring you in the face. If this amount of money is being offered based primarily upon his recruiting prowess, it's a crazy bet, at least in my view.
He’s one of the best developers of talent in the game. Look at every group he’s coached at every stop, and the results. He’s only coached at OSU for a year and a half. He’s recruited and developed everywhere he’s been.

Reactions: volsnvikes
I'll say this. If we don't get Washington, it's going to be extra hard to watch Heupel and White say "We got our man" and announce Steele, if that's who we end up with.

I just don't think the "I didn't want to hire him, but he was the best man in the end" line can be used again successfully. I like a little BS, sunshine pump when we hire but it'll definitely have the "steeeeerike two" feel at this point.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. Someone made a good point. These coaches know the wrong job can hurt their future so they have to be selective. Maybe he can get jancek and Steele to agree to work together as Co-DCs.

you must be against the Vols or you wouldn‘t
HASN’T been. Always subject to change. This is the type who could retain Toto and even Brooks. Now what can he do coaching wise?
well I don‘t think vols can spell 5 star player. When Alabama has 7 -5*and 15 4 star
and we are ranked 16th in the nation. if we don’t beat them in recruiting, then how do we win?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of offering 1.5 million to someone who's never been a coordinator a day in his life. SURELY there are candidates out there with better credentials! I'm not knocking the guy but how is he worth this kind of financial risk vs someone who might actually HAVE experience as a DC? I just don't get it. How many actual experienced DC's out there at group of 5 schools would move here in a heartbeat for that kind of raise and title? Or even FCS defensive coordinators?
He is the best option left. Someone posted that we may have been turned down by 9 coaches already.

I seriously think somebody will get a 1.5 million a year for 3 years contract just to be announced at the basketball game tomorrow night...phone lines are open

I'll say this. If we don't get Washington, it's going to be extra hard to watch Heupel and White say "We got our man" and announce Steele, if that's who we end up with.

I just don't think the "I didn't want to hire him, but he was the best man in the end" line can be used again successfully. I like a little BS, sunshine pump when we hire but it'll definitely have the "steeeeerike two" feel at this point.

If Steele can get us through probation with NCAA, then we will be fine. We could go shopping then.
We could do a lot worse.

Go VOLS

I don't really believe this dude, but he's making a lot of definitive statements. Bio says he is an AFCA member (American Football Coaches Association) and an independent analyst. 1,900 followers.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. Someone made a good point. These coaches know the wrong job can hurt their future so they have to be selective. Maybe he can get jancek and Steele to agree to work together as Co-DCs.
You hurt The vols when you point out negative things

well I don‘t think vols can spell 5 star player. When Alabama has 7 -5*and 15 4 star
and we are ranked 16th in the nation. if we don’t beat them in recruiting, then how do we win?
Talent, player development AND an actual gameplan.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
If Steele can get us through probation with NCAA, then we will be fine. We could go shopping then.
We could do a lot worse.

Go VOLS
I'm not opposed to Steele but dang, he'll know, the SEC knows, recruits will be told "they settled for that guy Steele, you know, because they couldn't hire a better guy." It's a helluva situation to be already employed somewhere, watch them try hard NOT to promote you, then promote you. Yikes.

Well,
When it came to Schiano they were happy to dump some trash on the Vols.

Guess, Washington is the real deal.

Make no mistake, money is the only thing we have thats attractive to these coaches right now. Who can blame them? With our track record the past 15 years, our program can have a very negative professional impact to their career. However, if they help get our program headed the right way within 2 to 3 years, their career will take off with endless benefits professionally.
I disagree. The opportunity to be a DC is attractive. The opportunity to build a unit and get the credit for it is attractive. The opportunity to prove yourself in the best conference in CFB is attractive. There are probably more.

If this guy or any other applicant wants the job for the money and not for the challenge and love of doing the job... then don't hire them. That would be true regardless of the condition of the program.

I'm not opposed to Steele but dang, he'll know, the SEC knows, recruits will be told "they settled for that guy Steele, you know, because they couldn't hire a better guy." It's a helluva situation to be already employed somewhere, watch them try hard NOT to promote you, then promote you. Yikes.
I don't think that will be the reality of it much less the message.

They will simply say that we went through a process and Kevin won out.

There are only rumors about this thing with Washington. They could be true but could also be false or exaggerated.

Reactions: gnm53108

I think hiring Steele would be telling fans, recruits, and the State of Tennessee that yes, there is such a thing as VFL, ALUM, putting your alma mater first. Fulmer put UT first and did what he thought was for the best. Great coach, maybe not as good an AD. I am afraid we are at the point where only someone who care about the University and willing to take less money for the job, will do so. Hope your ears are burning Peyton and the rest of you former Vols turned coaches.

VN Store

Back