Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we learn how to lineup correctly with inside leverage and not get slanted to death it’s already an improvement.
Slants have killed us for a decade. It's incredible to watch games all day Saturday and Sunday and see a few slants a game, some work some don't; then watch our game and see double digit slants and they all work.

You can't even pull 1 top 300 player in 3 years with the current success they've had? Thats 900 chances over 3 years and yoy can't get 1? I think you saw this last year how that may be catching up to him. 6-4 with literally every win over a team with a losing record. Thats not going to get this fanbase buying tickets. 😂

every game they lost besides a meaningless bowl game was by one score or less.... I’m sure you watched all their games to know

if either are kept i swear
I don't think there's any chance Chaney is kept. What I'm saying is I'll be interested to see if he takes a couple of years off and lives the buyout life.

Tee could stick as WR coach. I've also heard some speculation he could be RB coach if Graham leaves. Tee could also work in Knoxville media or in an off-field role for the athletic department for a year to see his kid through graduation.

Many know Heupel will bring the juice on offense. The biggest worry for me is the defense. Just because you can score 40+ doesn’t mean anything if you give up 50 or more.

Will he bring the UCF d staff?

Last edited:
My bad. I forgot the fact we have 0 tackles on the roster currently.
Wright and Calbert are our two tackles still on roster. Cade might have to slide out, but he's better on the interior. Neither Wright nor Calbert have played on the left since getting here. Other than that, we have two incoming freshmen tackles, neither of which were rated elite.

Guarantee if Kiffin was HC here next year and we went 5-7 but scored a lot of points there would be endless optimism. “Just needs a defense” - the same stuff everyone says about him now at Ole Miss.

But if the same happens with Heupel it’ll be doom and gloom.

I am disappointed in the hire. Also not surprised. Only UT fans consider this a place a coach would want to work. The outside perception is the reality, not the bubble UT fans live in.
Truth here

Reactions: BarrythesnoUT
We’re never going to recruit in the top 5 every year. It’s not going to happen. give up that dream. Clemson doesn’t do it and look at them. A recruiting class is just as good as the coaches you have receiving them. Are bamas recruits just THAT much better than everyone else’s in the conference or the nation? No. They turn them into Fn cyborgs when they get there. That’s the difference.

DEVELOPMENT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RECRUITING SERVICE STAR RATING

But did it 2 years in a row. It wasn’t one game.
I don’t care to argue it. But Heupel right now is not viewed anywhere close to Kiffin. Kidding ourselves if you think that. One has coached at major universities and in the NFL. The other has coached at one university that went undefeated the year before he took over for just three years.

Reactions: Vol17222
I mentioned earlier that I’d dive a bit into the stats behind Heupel’s tenure at UCF. If y’all want to talk more about numbers/methodologies we can do that, but I wanted to give a overview tonight.

Over the past couple years, I’ve tweaked a rating system I’ve made to evaluate coaches based on two criteria:

1. Overall performance. Better coaches generally have better teams. Obvious enough.

2. Performance relative to talent on the roster. We can talk for days about the state of development, but raw talent is something we can account for, via 247’s composite. Basically, more talent leads to a higher expectation of performance, and I want to see what coaches outperform their expected values the most.

To measure performance, I’m not going with wins and losses, but ESPN’s efficiency metrics. These are adjusted for SOS and pace, so we can avoid all the “they ain’t played nobody” and total-offense pitfalls. These metrics should tell us just how “good” the team was that year.

After evaluating performance and measuring against what they should’ve done according to their talent level, I’ve placed the values on a classic school grading scale. Saban gets a solid 100/A+, guys like Herman/Doeren are in the C+ range, and Pruitt comes in at a D+.

So now, based on the years 2015+, here are the results. I’ll list a few candidates here.

Freeze
Overall: 80
Offense: 87
Defense: 72

Herman
Overall: 79
Offense: 76
Defense: 80

Fleck
Overall: 78
Offense: 81
Defense: 71

Napier
Overall: 78
Offense: 86
Defense: 66

Chadwell
Overall: 74
Offense: 78
Defense: 67

Kiffin
Overall: 74
Offense: 81
Defense: 65

Dykes
Overall: 73
Offense: 80
Defense: 66

Leipold
Overall: 70
Offense: 72
Defense: 70

Healy
Overall: 58
Offense: 71
Defense: 50

Heupel
Overall: 88
Offense: 91
Defense: 76

Frankly, that offense is a machine, and it’s a consistent machine. Every year graded better than Kiffin’s best at FAU, without the drawback of the 2 that were barely meeting (or slightly failing) talent expectations.

Heupel’s overall profile of results vs. expectations is actually right there with Gundy/Wittingham, and his offensive grade is above the likes of Gundy/Mack Brown/Freeze/Petersen.

I’ve said it earlier, his recruiting and program building is a massive unknown, but this guy is no Sonny Dykes on the field.

Enjoy, and hit me up with any requests, data, questions if you’re interested.
Awesome info. Thanks for the work.

Didn't expect Fleck to be that high. And Huepel is also higher than I expected, but I would've expected high offensive numbers. Other than that, this is pretty much the order I would've put them at.

Are yalls brains deflated or something? You know that in order for us to get a big name coach the coach has to accept the offer right? DW probably did go to Franklin, Campbell, Cristobal, Fickell & others and they said NO.

Huepul is an objectively good coach who can score points and develop a Quarterback which is what we need in the SEC. Defense is overrated. If he gets decent recruiters to just get us to 50th in Total Defense in the nation we will be flying.
12-1 to 6-4 in three years. Not the trend that says he’s a good coach.
And evidently Defense isn’t overrated , wasn’t UCF top 5 in offense?

If Heupel gets heat for not keeping UCF as dominant, why doesn't Harsin get the same heat. Can't remember the last time they were in a big bowl game
Harsin was won 10+ games in 5 out of 7 seasons.

He's won his division or conference every year except for '15 where he was second. His worst record ever he was 9-4. He hasn't lost a conference game since 2018. There's a huge difference between being 6-4 and 5-2(and first in the conference).

Reactions: Salvare and jave36
I'm promise I'm not making this up. This is the reaction of SEC fans on the SEC rant. I event got the gif from there and it was from a Missouri fan.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back