Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on you, Plowman. Listen to @LA Vol, she could have done this a LOT differently.

That’s said, I’m ready to score some points we may lose 42-49 but at least we won’t be bored to tears 😂

Notching up the toxicity, then going on TV to emphasize how bad things are is seldom a good strategy.

Win the battle, lose the war.

Personally don't feel like we got lied to, I think some of ya'll took what insiders were saying and read into it more.

Sitting HC - check
Offensive Minded - check
Proven winner - check
Clean recruiting BG - check
Power 5 experience - check (2 stops as an OC, Big 12 & SEC)

I think if we didn't have the NCAA looming there are a few realistic hires ya could have pursued that would have potentially been better, I think Fleck and Campbell would have been more realistic then too. And most of what's impressed with Tom Herman happened at Houston or as an OC, and Heupel has the same results. So if he comes in and mirrors Herman's Texas tenure I'd be pretty happy.

Most of us aren’t happy with how this search went but that’s because we believed “insiders” were going to bring us Bob Stoops or Matt Campbell. They didn’t. That sucks. Time to move on, we have Heupel.

Guys, UT recruits itself. Heupel with some good assistants will be top 20 without a doubt, even under this NCAA cloud. Could be Top 10 if he hires guys like Garner and keeps Steele and Graham. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch on offense. That’ll be a nice change of pace.

Am I doing backflips at this hire? No. But his resume is better than the last few coaches we’ve hired. I’m ready to see what he can do. Let’s go!

And he has HC experience. I bet Bailey and Salter are drooling right now. lol Finally an exciting O.

That’s not the point. Nobody is gonna touch freeze especially TN with Sanctions on the way. Period.

Chadwell, this job is too much for him rite now IMHO. Too big and too much of a mess.

Fisher?? Would rather have a explosive offensive and good QB coach than a has been NFL coach that has been passed over and over

See you say you would rather have an explosive QB coach, but the guy walked into a job with Milton and Lock. The Missouri players were pissed at him, the UCF people don't want him, and he was fired at Oklahoma.

Can you honestly say that there was another P5 program that considered Heupel for the job?

If the only positive for Heupel is offensive output, then he should be an OC, not a HC.

At least Fisher has been to a Superbowl, has a ton of experience at the highest level, has connections with NFL people that will get scouts out to pro days, has connections for coaching hires everywhere, was a player, and can sell a recruit on what it takes/what teams look for.

If Jeff Fisher talks to a college kid, that kid will listen. The best part about him is that he's hungry to get back on the sidelines, and he can navigate ownership politics with the best of them. You think that there's not an up and coming OC or DC with NFL aspirations that wouldn't come work for Fisher?

yeah...there's no way JH was 'the plan'.....it's the ultimate safe hire for DW....but no way that was choice one, and while it may never really be public just how extensive the search was or to what level any of these conversations got to, i think it's safe to say campbell, fickel, franklin, all said no/not interested....low did say leipold was contacted, no interest....not sure where dykes was? i feel confident that Elliot was probably the one it may have gotten the farthest with, before ultimately deciding to stay put....

Swain just got done with a segment on some plausible reasons why kiffin and chadwell weren't considered, just depends on how much you're willing to buy on that front, but what they were talking about at least made sense, and wasn't out of left field.

in the end, i don't think the result was what anyone was hoping for, but i do think the process of this search was sound.

and JH isn't awful. it is a TBD/wait and see....but i like the response from the players this morning, and i like the idea of a good offense....see how the staff goes, and go from there. i think he can be good....

Elliott was never offered the job. Clemson boosters and insiders have said as much.

He and White had some talks but with big talks Boyd/Plowman made of a sitting, proven winner, head coach it eliminated Elliott before the search even started.

Everyone: we need an offense minded coach that can score a lot of points and keep us in games

Tennessee: *hires the guy that has the number 2 offense in the nation and has ONE double digit loss in 3 seasons*

Everyone: NOOOOO THIS HIRE SUCKS

View attachment 345649
This is why Tennessee’s fanbase looks so toxic to media and coaches. Is it the fans fault that we are in the mess we are in? HELL NO! But to national media and the coaching fraternity, fan negativity is seen as huge part of the problem. That is the perception. You can scream all you want “how stupid! Blaming this on the fans” and you are technically right. But the perception to media and coaches is that it is a huge problem. Argue with them, not me! Sometimes perception is reality even if it’s technically not true. What are going to do to change this perception?

That's BS. Only way you're fighting over $250k is if it was a stand alone contractual trigger that would have driven the wrong ethical behavior. Even then, you just add the $'s elsewhere and avoid the trigger. I think someone's making this up to stir people up.
Okay, I talked to the guy who told me that again. He said it was $250k every time we came back to Franklin. Like, we gave Franklin a number. His people would come back with a number that was $250k more. We came back with the offer that he wanted, they raised it again by $250k. Said this went on 3 or 4 times until we said enough. Every offer came back to us wanting $250k more.

This is something that he actually might know because he is a financial planner that works closely with the UT administration.

Reactions: bpvol and SmokinBob
Okay, I talked to the guy who told me that again. He said it was $250k every time we came back to Franklin. Like, we gave Franklin a number. His people would come back with a number that was $250k more. We came back with the offer that he wanted, they raised it again by $250k. Said this went on 3 or 4 times until we said enough. Every offer came back to us wanting $250k more.

This is something that he actually might know because he is a financial planner that works closely with the UT administration.

Franklin Gundy'd us for sure. It never made sense that he would want this job. We get played by a candidate like that in every search.

I'm cool with it tbh. I think it'll be fun to watch. In today's game it seems better to have an offensive mind rather than a defensive guy. With the right DC, we could be good. Also, the bright offensive minds seem to naturally attract good "skill" players. We will be fine.

Taking a page out of KC's playbook. Score TDs when the other team kicks field goals.

Reactions: JCP201
Heupel>Pruitt, it’s an upgrade at least.
I think this will be a hard thing for a lot of people. I watched some of his stuff. He sounds and talks like pruitt. When pruitt was hired he wasn't exciting but we had the "at least he sounds like a coach". We just went thorough that so a lot of people will associate that with pruitt and negativity. He's not going to excite the fans like people wanted.

Based on his coaching resume I don't get the sense he has built, re-built, changed the culture, and rebranded any football program. Not encouraged he won less games each year at UCF. Not sure how far down the list White went, but, it is what it is. That said, I hope he has phenomenal success with our football program.

Because you were snowed by the "insiders." It is what it is. At least he has potential. If we had a different AD and we hired Heupel in 2019, we would all be super stoked. It's all perception and until we play some games that is all we have. Objectively considering the situation we are in, this was a good hire.
Honestly, it wasn't the insiders that snowed me. I guess I read to much into what Boyd and Plowman said. I let them get my hopes up. I was fully expecting this to be rough until they went all "rah rah" at the press conference. I believed. My bad. I should have known better. New leadership doesn't necessarily mean anything has fundamentally changed.

Tell me if you from Florida, would you want to go play in the central part of the state?

Uh yeah. The top 300 in the country and you can't get 1? Get on the field quicker at UCF and live in Orlando over Gainesville and Tallahassee. I'd much rather do that.

Reactions: hep
This is why Tennessee’s fanbase looks so toxic to media and coaches. Is it the fans fault that we are in the mess we are in? HELL NO! But to national media and the coaching fraternity, fan negativity is seen as huge part of the problem. That is the perception. You can scream all you want “how stupid! Blaming this on the fans” and you are technically right. But the perception to media and coaches is that it is a huge problem. Argue with them, not me! Sometimes perception is reality even if it’s technically not true. What are going to do to change this perception?
An Alabama fan committed a crime and admitted to it on Finebaum. Another murdered another fan after an iron bowl loss. Plz stop this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back