Colin Kaepernick Thread

Give me one reason why it should be a closed workout. Something that makes more sense than my theory.

Maybe they didn't want it to become a side show? Maybe they do this with all works outs? There are any number of reasons but jumping to the conclusion that it is so they can suppress evidence the CK is exactly why teams are so skittish on CK. If they give him a look and honestly don't see the fit they'll be accused of some other reasons for not making him an offer.

I'd stay miles away from this guy and this weekend is a perfect example of why.

Maybe they didn't want it to become a side show? Maybe they do this with all works outs? There are any number of reasons but jumping to the conclusion that it is so they can suppress evidence the CK is exactly why teams are so skittish on CK. If they give him a look and honestly don't see the fit they'll be accused of some other reasons for not making him an offer.

Huh? What does this even mean? Why on earth would the NFL not want more attention on their league? They're in showbiz. The only time they don't want attention is when it could have negative consequences for them, like CK having a great tryout, destroying the idea that he's not good enough to play. What other negative consequence could there be? Have you ever heard of the NFL saying no cameras allowed at a pro day? Ever? I've seen lots of footage of pro days.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashVol11
Huh? What does this even mean? Why on earth would the NFL not want more attention on this tryout? They're in showbiz. The only time they don't want attention is when it could have negative consequences for them, like CK having a great tryout, destroying the idea that he's not good enough to play. What other negative consequence could there be? Have you ever heard of no cameras allowed at a pro day? Ever? I've seen lots of footage of pro days.

Workouts, combines etc are not open to the media. It would be unusual (as in an exception) to have them open to the media (and in this case any media as CK wanted). Standard process being followed.

It's not an issue of no cameras - the Falcons crew was filming. If you dig into NFL practice you'll see that it is typical to have a single camera crew and film is distributed to teams and selectively released to the public.

None of this establishes your conspiracy theory that the NFL was afraid CK would wow everyone and they wanted an opportunity to hide the evidence.

It appears too that the filming issue was not the big issue - it was disagreements over a liability waiver.

Workouts, combines etc are not open to the media. It would be unusual (as in an exception) to have them open to the media (and in this case any media as CK wanted). Standard process being followed.

It's not an issue of no cameras - the Falcons crew was filming. If you dig into NFL practice you'll see that it is typical to have a single camera crew and film is distributed to teams and selectively released to the public.

None of this establishes your conspiracy theory that the NFL was afraid CK would wow everyone and they wanted an opportunity to hide the evidence.

It appears too that the filming issue was not the big issue - it was disagreements over a liability waiver.

The combine is televised live so that the NFL can make $...they aren't trying to make $ off televising this workout, so it's not comparable...CK's team is not "the media"

You still have not given a single specific reason why the NFL would prevent CK's team from having cameras.

I agree that CK doesn't present enough benefit for most teams. The only situation I can think of where I would want Kaep is if I'm the Ravens and LJ gets hurt. Otherwise, the benefit doesn't outweigh the media circus that would follow my franchise. But that's not a consequence the NFL would bear, the team would bear it.

Give me one reason why it should be a closed workout. Something that makes more sense than my theory.

He is a borderline NFL quarteback. There are several borderline NFL quarterbacks, some in the league, some not. If a team can sign a borderline quarterback to be clipboard holder, why would they sign one who has an agenda that will be a distraction? It would make zero business sense to do so. You suck at theories.

He is a borderline NFL quarteback. There are several borderline NFL quarterbacks, some in the league, some not. If a team can sign a borderline quarterback to be clipboard holder, why would they sign one who has an agenda that will be a distraction? It would make zero business sense to do so. You suck at theories.
I agree with this perspective 100%!

No, he is not. He is probably better than 1/3 of the starters in the league and then 90% of backups. He had a 4:1 TD/INT ratio in his last season on a terrible team. Put 50% of the QB's in the league on that squad and it's a **** show of interceptions.

Last edited:
No, he is not. He is probably better than 1/3 of the starters in the league and then 90% of backups. He had a 4:1 TD/INT ratio in his last season on a terrible team. Put 50% of the QB's in the league on that squad and it's a **** show of interceptions.

When was his last season? He wasn't great then and has not thrown a pass in 3 years and you think he will be better than 1/3 of the starters? Come on man.....

When was his last season? He wasn't great then and has not thrown a pass in 3 years and you think he will be better than 1/3 of the starters? Come on man.....

Why does this matter?

Gabbert threw more picks than TD's on that team and had fewer ypg and a lower completion % and he's not the same run threat. Gabbert is still in the league. How can you say the guy who performed notably better than Gabbert doesn't belong in the league when Gabbert is still hanging around?

The combine is televised live so that the NFL can make $...they aren't trying to make $ off televising this workout, so it's not comparable...CK's team is not "the media"

You still have not given a single specific reason why the NFL would prevent CK's team from having cameras.

I agree that CK doesn't present enough benefit for most teams. The only situation I can think of where I would want Kaep is if I'm the Ravens and LJ gets hurt. Otherwise, the benefit doesn't outweigh the media circus that would follow my franchise. But that's not a consequence the NFL would bear, the team would bear it.

Because that's how they run private workouts - regardless of who's trying out.

As a GM/Coach the media circus wouldn't be my concern. It would be that CK appears to put himself and cause above the team and the game. I'd be more concerned about the internal issues than the external. On the external, the concern would be that if he isn't the starter then people will claim conspiracy reasons.

This was all a publicity stunt by Nike which is why they moved the site to one more appropriate for their needs. The campaign has already been devised using an actual note they found he had written when he was young stating he wanted to play in the NFL. I doubt he is in physical condition to step on an NFL field but who knows.

Reactions: allvol123

Has the NFL ever done anything remotely similar to this at all - organize and plan the specifics for "Pro Day" workout? The whole thing seems precedent setting for a former player, but maybe I'm not remembering something from the past (a quick search showed JaMarcus Russell organizing his comeback workouts himself).

Reactions: n_huffhines
When your opinion is so hot that you have to resort to pointing out typos.

Oh please, as if I were responding to a “hot opinion”. Dudley clearly just read about Smith vs. Eric Reid, agreed with Smith and then threw out the brilliant takes that Smith, the guy people constantly make fun of, has an opinion that means everything and Reid, who has played very well all year, should be cut.

Has the NFL ever done anything remotely similar to this at all - organize and plan the specifics for "Pro Day" workout? The whole thing seems precedent setting for a former player, but maybe I'm not remembering something from the past (a quick search showed JaMarcus Russell organizing his comeback workouts himself).

From a WSJ article today it suggested that individual teams had expressed interest in taking a look but also concern that if they did take a look and said no then they would be attacked for "not taking a serious" look. Damned if you do/don't. NFL put this together to provide cover for individual teams so it wasn't on any particular team.

Appears the way it went down probably confirmed the concerns of the teams. The same things keeping them away in the past appear to persist.

The reason for making the switch, Kaepernick would tell us later, was “making sure we had transparency of what went on.”

Reactions: NashVol11
The reason for making the switch, Kaepernick would tell us later, was “making sure we had transparency of what went on.”

Yes - that is what CK is claiming. Doesn't mean that the refusal is to intentionally suppress evidence that CK is a great QB.

Other people who do private work outs don't make these demands. The NFL is under no obligation to honor the demands and refusal to do so is not evidence of guilt.

From a WSJ article today it suggested that individual teams had expressed interest in taking a look but also concern that if they did take a look and said no then they would be attacked for "not taking a serious" look. Damned if you do/don't. NFL put this together to provide cover for individual teams so it wasn't on any particular team.

Appears the way it went down probably confirmed the concerns of the teams. The same things keeping them away in the past appear to persist.

Makes sense, I guess. I think the document the NFL wanted signed as part of this also contained language about him giving up any future case for collusion which, not surprisingly, was a no go on his side if true. Hard to tell the truth in all of this as both sides are spinning hard.

Oh please, as if I were responding to a “hot opinion”. Dudley clearly just read about Smith vs. Eric Reid, agreed with Smith and then threw out the brilliant takes that Smith, the guy people constantly make fun of, has an opinion that means everything and Reid, who has played very well all year, should be cut.

LOL

Yes - that is what CK is claiming. Doesn't mean that the refusal is to intentionally suppress evidence that CK is a great QB.

Other people who do private work outs don't make these demands. The NFL is under no obligation to honor the demands and refusal to do so is not evidence of guilt.

OK, that's CK's reason. Why are you saying it's not that reason?

But why prevent his team from having cameras. Nobody is saying they are obligated. We're saying there is no reason to do it, outside of keeping his performance a secret.

Makes sense, I guess. I think the document the NFL wanted signed as part of this also contained language about him giving up any future case for collusion which, not surprisingly, was a no go on his side if true. Hard to tell the truth in all of this as both sides are spinning hard.

as I understand it that was not the language but there was concern that the actual language could possibly be construed that way.

agree both are spinning and that's why I stay away from accusing either side of really bad intentions. there is no trust between the parties.

in the end, the NFL controls the cards and arranged for CK to get this opportunity. love or hate the NFL it is their prerogative to set the conditions and CK's to choose if he wants to go along.

OK, that's CK's reason. Why are you saying it's not that reason?

But why prevent his team from having cameras. Nobody is saying they are obligated. We're saying there is no reason to do it, outside of keeping his performance a secret.

why do they do it ever? they've been controlling distribution of their content for decades.

From a WSJ article today it suggested that individual teams had expressed interest in taking a look but also concern that if they did take a look and said no then they would be attacked for "not taking a serious" look. Damned if you do/don't. NFL put this together to provide cover for their own asses so they could look like they tried despite imposing unacceptable conditions.

Appears the way it went down probably confirmed the concerns of everyone around the league/country who thought it seemed odd that the NFL wouldn’t contact Kaepernick’s team for months and then announce this out of nowhere with two hours to accept and a couple days to prepare. The same things keeping them away in the past appear to persist.

FYP

If he causes so much drama over a practice workout, what will he be like during the week of practice and on gameday?

His value as a quarterback isn't worth the distraction. That's all it is.

To put it more simply, if the girl your friend is trying to fix you up with is a 6 but she's has the temperament of wild boar, don't mess with her. She's not worth the trouble. Move along and find someone else that's less crazy or worth the trouble.

VN Store

Back