Can the Arkansas situation affect Tennessee Football?

Chaney has (willingly) left Pittman behind TWICE now. They work very well together but they’re not joined at the hip. Both love what they’re handsomely compensated to excel at and neither have ever thrown their hat into a HC candidacy. Sum it up with both have arrived at their preferred career destination and will retire at those locations.

They should go after Leach or Kiffin. Arkansas Football becomes instantly relevant and in the news cycle if they do but my money is on Norwell or Clark. getting the nod.
Forgot about Kiffin. Those two would be my choice, and both know how to get the cameras pointed in their direction, to get attention. Can't have a "who's he" candidate, or will no momentum w/ Saban, O, Jimbo and Gus in your division.

I heard the same thing about Pittman but I don't think there is any way Chaney is leaving UT. We should be trying to raid their commitments to get any we need. I also heard Hugh Freeze's name mentioned along with Norvell.
Norvell is the logical choice.
Of course Morris built the foundation for an SMU tr that is doing quite well and that didn’t translate. I always expected Arkansas to be middle to lower of the pack in the SEC. they are the most remote team in the conference.

Living in Arkansas I hear a lot of the stuff going on with Arkansas football. Something that is being thrown around is bringing in Pittman as head coach. If not head coach OC or O Line coach.

The reason I bring this up is, if this happens, would it be realistic to think we could pull some of there Olineman as transfers (Mays). Also, if he is brought into Fayetteville as head coach, would he look at bringing Chaney in as OC? I know Chaney has said he wants to retire in Knoxeville.

I know not likely to happen but just throwing my thoughts out there.
Mays may want to follow him to Arkansas.

Arkansas is finished as an SEC program. AR has very little talent in state and has to recruit TX to do well. But with Texas A&M now in the SEC and Texas moving again, they are outrecruited in all directions.

6-6 as a ceiling? Even that may be too high.

Reactions: TOrange99
Norvell is the logical choice.
Of course Morris built the foundation for an SMU tr that is doing quite well and that didn’t translate. I always expected Arkansas to be middle to lower of the pack in the SEC. they are the most remote team in the conference.
Yeah, Arkansas has never really fit anywhere. They were the only team not from Texas in the old Southwest conference and they've always been somewhat of an outlier in the SEC. Of course, it's hard for me to accept the fact that Missouri is in the conference. They would both fit better in the big 12 if they could put up with everything being dictated to them by Texas and Oklahoma. Mostly Texas runs that conference with an iron fist hence A&M and Missouri saying enough is enough. The only way Arkansas is going to compete is to be completely different. They aren't going to out Alabama the tide of out LSU the tigers. Someone like Mike Leach, who is used to competing at schools that have disadvantages, might be the answer.

Reactions: igotworms
Chaney likes K'town and is already highest paid OC in country...or right there at it. I think Ark has to go one of two ways...either go back to the stout d/power run game that they had previous success with or, more likely, go the other direction and get someone to come in and change the game with Texas Tech type offense...I'd throw a pile of money at Mike Leach. You can't go with next unproven coach to come up. SEC W is too long of a build with Bama, LSU, Aub, TaM...by the time you get a power game semi built up, presumably someone like Pittman mentioned, you're fired. Gotta go with someone who will shake it up.
It would be great if someone tried the Leach-in-the-SEC experiment. Sure would not want it to be my team.

Arkansas is going to have to hire an egomaniac. No normal person in their right mind could possibly think they can turn that program around in their lifetime.

BTW, anybody got the address to where I should send my resume?

Old saw - " An IBM employee doesn't drink. But, if he does drink, he doesn't get drunk. But, if he does get drunk, he doesn't pass out. But, if he does pass out, he doesn't fall down. But, if he does fall down, he falls face down so no one recognizes him as a IBM employee. "

That said, both Pruitt and Chaney are building a program that would be impossible to leave behind. But, if Pruitt decided to leave, and Chaney has said he doesn't aspire to be the HC, he might give it a second thought. He is watching Pruitt's evolution into a HC and might find it inviting. I doubt he would fall face down.

Chaney isn't leaving. Not gonna happen. He left a top 5 team to come here and is the highest paid OC in the country. He is going to leave this for that shat show? A program that fires their HC after not even 2yrs? TN is stable now.

Arky will continue to be a laughing stock if they hire a career OL coach for HC

Arky has to go outside the box if they want to compete. They need to accept that 6-6 to 8-4 with the occasional (1-2x'd every 10yrs) 9-10 win season is their ceiling. It's ok to be good at basketball and they have an elite track program. They have a good fanbase and if they can find moderate success the base will support it but they have to know their place. All this money in athletics and Saban's domination has gotten people acting crazy

We hired a career line coach for head coach once...

I heard the same thing about Pittman but I don't think there is any way Chaney is leaving UT. We should be trying to raid their commitments to get any we need. I also heard Hugh Freeze's name mentioned along with Norvell.

Norvell makes the most sense. Went to college at Central Arkansas. Recruits the same areas already.

I don’t see Pittman as a head coach. He is the best OL coach in the country and enjoys the role. He is more like Donahue, Chavis, and other great position coaches that probably do not want the headaches of ever being a head coach.

Old saw - " An IBM employee doesn't drink. But, if he does drink, he doesn't get drunk. But, if he does get drunk, he doesn't pass out. But, if he does pass out, he doesn't fall down. But, if he does fall down, he falls face down so no one recognizes him as a IBM employee. "

That said, both Pruitt and Chaney are building a program that would be impossible to leave behind. But, if Pruitt decided to leave, and Chaney has said he doesn't aspire to be the HC, he might give it a second thought. He is watching Pruitt's evolution into a HC and might find it inviting. I doubt he would fall face down.
Agree, Pruitt gonna want to reap his rewards of the build. If pressed, I think Chaney could do it...viewing his pregame speeches, and how he handles the press, he seems the most like Majors or maybe Cut than any coach I've seen at UT...throwback guy.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Chaney is getting paid 1.5 million to be the OC and he came back to Knoxville because he loves it. He isnt going to Arkansas.

On Finebumb the Ark question came up. He and others in the "know" think MalZone will be the first Ark tries to get. They seem to think he may be wearing out his welcome at A-barn

VN Store

Back