Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday wasn't just the roster though. That's what's concerning.
no, it wasn't...that whole game was completely mismanaged...personnel, game planning, play calling on defense in particular.....

i don't know if i have any real issues with the offensive play calling. i know that one drive in the 1st quarter that took like 10 minutes and got a TD was beautiful. that was the one big bright spot of the day was that one drive.

another play that stood out to me was the one that Warrior got the PI call on on that 3rd down. the defense actually made a really good play...HT dropped in coverage and took the RB out of the backfield, and Warrior broke on the ball in front of him. i guess you could argue the merits of the PI call, but i really thought on that paly, and it was a key spot int he game, the defense did exactly what it was supposed to. would have been a 3 and out, we had just scored and who knows.

instead they get the 1st down, and then go on to score a TD and pucker factor set in from there.

this team needs leadership and a gigantic shot of confidence ASAP.

So I'm follow @LA Vol and looking at bright spots.

Henry T & Eric Gray both are SEC talent, and will be stars for a few more years with health on their side. Bituli & Bryce are two of the most talented guys on defense, we'll miss them any time they can't go. Savion & Emerson moving forward look like they should be starting on the line.

Offensively I think there isn't enough drop off in the OL to try and do this rotating players crap, pick your five already. JG doesn't seem to naturally read defenses, he has trouble at all levels here. I think this is his last year starting, regardless of if he returns next year.

DWA & Jennings & Callaway are exactly who we thought they were, FORCE THE ISSUE AND GET THEM THE ROCK.

There were definitely more bright spots than not with the OL this past weekend. They gave JG a LOT more time to throw than last year. The Ga. St. defense just knew we were never going to throw downfield so they brought everyone to the line which hurts running the ball. Gotta go deep.

Which brings me to my next point. I posted during the game that our drive that ended the 1st half where we ended up with a field goal...the whole drive except for where we stalled was our true offense and its capabilities. Threw it downfield and got in the redzone in 2 plays, IIRC. Then we went vanilla again. Dunno who to blame for that, but either JG or Chaney shouldn't have done that. But, if that truly is our true offense (and I think it is) then our offense has the capability to score some nice points. Just HAVE to THROW the BALL DOWN FIELD.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Ok, yes, he followed him. But not directly. I think you made the statement that Babers did better with Marrone’s players than Marrone did, which is largely inaccurate. So nice deflection.

If that’s not what you stated, my bad.
I missed Shaffer between them and my point remains unchanged. Babers has outdone Marrone with Syracuse’s resources. Now we’ve established every time I respond to you that it’s obsession and stalking...so don’t go down that destructive path.

Reactions: barrylee
It was not a fluke. It very, very easily could have been a 41-23 or 45-23 final. We got a garbage time window dressing touchdown at the end to make it look closer than it was. They had the ball in plus territory on their final possession, they did not try to move the ball at all, they simply ran it into the line 3 times to kill clock and/or force us to use our timeouts. We had not been able to stop them and I have zero belief that we could have, at a minimum prevented a FG were they determined to move the ball. On our last drive they eagerly traded yards for time, by design.

I don't deal in "indictments of the program" and "Vol football is dead", etc., because it's untrue, nearly anyone can come back at any time, given the right coach and a special player or two, but let's not kid ourselves, Saturday wasn't a fluke, we were beaten soundly.

We were beaten mainly because we had an inexplicable lack of effort and want to from top to bottom, I don't know how that happens in week 1 of year 2 or really in week 1 of any year, but if we bring the same sorry level of effort to the remaining games on our schedule, we'd be lucky to win one or two. If we do actually show up and beat say BYU and South Carolina and hang with Florida, I'll take it of course, but it'll make Saturday's epic top to bottom failure of leadership all the more infuriating.

To be fair it was also 28-23 and JG fumbled cause he didn't read the blitz & held on to the ball too long. They went up 35-23 and the next series he throws a INT on 2nd & long after eating another sack.

Offensively it's hard not to put the majority of it on JG, even that opening "fumble" was really an INT from a poorly thrown ball, but it was thrown behind him so went as a fumble. He also had another INT erased because of a PI.

I mean granted a chunk of yards & a TD came in garbage time, but despite the mistakes we moved the ball...most of the game. Pressure got to JG and he folded in the 2nd half.

Reactions: CurtWatson31
There were definitely more bright spots than not with the OL this past weekend. They gave JG a LOT more time to throw than last year. The Ga. St. defense just knew we were never going to throw downfield so they brought everyone to the line which hurts running the ball. Gotta go deep.

Which brings me to my next point. I posted during the game that our drive that ended the 1st half where we ended up with a field goal...the whole drive except for where we stalled was our true offense and its capabilities. Threw it downfield and got in the redzone in 2 plays, IIRC. Then we went vanilla again. Dunno who to blame for that, but either JG or Chaney shouldn't have done that. But, if that truly is our true offense (and I think it is) then our offense has the capability to score some nice points. Just HAVE to THROW the BALL DOWN FIELD.

That's the series where JG threw the pick in the Endzone and we got a PI call and settled for a FG. :(

I said it before yes the defense sucked. However, QB play cost us that game. Hands down.
i mean you can feel that way i guess. not trying to change your mind. i don't htink JG played well either.

but it's really hard not to put this at the defenses' feet. the defense was baaaaaad......
**edit.......forgot to mention i didn't, and haven't, watched the 4th qtr lol. my opinions are based on 3 qtrs of play.... :)

Reactions: OrangenSC
People are getting way too caught up in VQ. Right now, they're angry fans, with an emotional response. They're upset and venting, especially Austin. And that's fine, but emotions don't fix problems. Let's see what UT can do. Give people who're paid to fix problems a week to see what can be fixed short-term. BYU isn't an unbeatable team.
Look man, I get the wisdom of keeping a level head and going back to work to see what can be done. But I've got just enough realist in me to say this: If you can't beat damn Georgia State, BYU is unbeatable.

I missed Shaffer between them and my point remains unchanged. Babers has outdone Marrone with Syracuse’s resources. Now we’ve established every time I respond to you that it’s obsession and stalking...so don’t go down that destructive path.
Uh, ok.

i mean you can feel that way i guess. not trying to change your mind. i don't htink JG played well either.

but it's really hard not to put this at the defenses' feet. the defense was baaaaaad......
**edit.......forgot to mention i didn't, and haven't, watched the 4th qtr lol. my opinions are based on 3 qtrs of play.... :)
It was really bad, but Georgia State capitalizing on some short field opportunities made it look even worse.

We're all in agreement here on that. But you can polish a turd, but its still a turd.

This roster is garbage and its not going to change anytime soon. It is being rebuilt and we knew that.
Is it being rebuilt?

I’d have to look but our recruiting average over this three class period can’t be better than any three year period Butch or Dooley had.

That's the series where JG threw the pick in the Endzone and we got a PI call and settled for a FG. :(

JG already picking pre-snap where he is throwing to and throwing into double coverage anyway because reasons. Bad decision by the QB just like Callaway was wide open on the first play of the game but instead threw a laser to Ty's knees ending in a turnover. The offense can do it. A lot of decision making needs to be fixed, though.

Reactions: UTSuave’
That’s easy. Here’s what I did:

“HONEY! Wake up! The baby’s hungry!”

See. Nothing to it.
lol.

me and mine did shift work. i was working, she wasn't. so i'd get home around 6 or so, and i'd send her to bed, then around midnight or 1 she'd get up and i'd go to bed. rinse and repeat for about a year and you're good to go.

that and i washed all the bottles nightly and always had a fresh pitcher of formula in the fridge.

moms still have it way worse. wait until you have 2!!!!! that's when the fun begins.

Also, I don’t know why anyone is upset about Banks playing LB. He played extremely well outside of one play where he got sucked in thinking run and they threw it to the outside. However, there was also a Safety and a Corner over there and they didn’t get there either. I thought Banks was a bright spot at LB, very physical.

To be fair it was also 28-23 and JG fumbled cause he didn't read the blitz & held on to the ball too long. They went up 35-23 and the next series he throws a INT on 2nd & long after eating another sack.

Offensively it's hard not to put the majority of it on JG, even that opening "fumble" was really an INT from a poorly thrown ball, but it was thrown behind him so went as a fumble. He also had another INT erased because of a PI.

I mean granted a chunk of yards & a TD came in garbage time, but despite the mistakes we moved the ball...most of the game. Pressure got to JG and he folded in the 2nd half.
You are talking about player performance, I am talking purely about tactics. Tactically, GSU did not try to score on their last drive. Tactically, they willingly yielded yards for time at the end of the game, allowing us our window dressing touchdown. We were beaten soundly.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Also, I don’t know why anyone is upset about Banks playing LB. He played extremely well outside of one play where he got sucked in thinking run and they threw it to the outside. However, there was also a Safety and a Corner over there and they didn’t get there either. I thought Banks was a bright spot at LB, very physical.

He was pretty quick out there, looked like.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back