Steve Shaw Bama grad

So sad you guys are so jealous of bama. They live in your head. Sad.
Not really I don't watch their games because I know what is going on. Sour grapes no. It is what it is. If you can do it and get away with I guess it is ok.

ALABAMA ranked dead last in 2017 and 2016 in opponent penalties.

'17 - 130 out of 130 teams
'16 - 128 of 128
'15 - 102 of 128
'14 - 123 of 128
'13 - 89 of 125
'12 - 108 of 124
'11 - 117 of 120

LINK

Reactions: Mtnvol80
ALABAMA ranked dead last in 2017 and 2016 in opponent penalties.

'17 - 130 out of 130 teams
'16 - 128 of 128
'15 - 102 of 128
'14 - 123 of 128
'13 - 89 of 125
'12 - 108 of 124
'11 - 117 of 120

LINK

What about the differential in those years?

The refs usually call more penalties on Bama late after they've helped them get up by 20 or 30 points, to make it look like they're calling it fair. Been going on for a few season now. Saturday's first half was a example. Could of just about called them for holding every play or close too it. They don't get holding calls til they're up by 20. I'm done talking about that bunch of cheating vile scum from the south. They're not even a legitimate college team in my mind. Their titles are nil and void, should have a asterisk beside them from now on.

Last edited:
The refs usually call more penalties on Bama late after they've helped them get up by 20 or 30 points, to make it look like they're calling it fair. Been going on for a few season now. Saturday's first half was a example. Could of just about called them for holding every play or close too it. They don't get holding calls til they're up by 20. I'm done talking about that bunch of cheating vile scum from the south. They're not even a legitimate college team in my mind. Their titles are nil and void, should have a asterisk beside them from now on.

Dead last dude, in all of college football. That's a helluva lot of penalties, compared to the opponent we are playing, at home and on the road.

Actually, the point isn't "when." Bams's opponents haven't been penalized all that often, regardless of the point in the game.
Your boy did that. The original post was unfair officiating, i agree. Nothing about how many. Your guy threw that meaningless garbage in.

Reactions: vols40
You cared enough to comment and someone started a thread about unfair penalties. What you don't seem to have much time for is the truth.
You apparently cared enough to go and find the information, why don't you give a link to the unbiased source of that information

Dead last dude, in all of college football. That's a helluva lot of penalties, compared to the opponent we are playing, at home and on the road.

It's not just sheer numbers, but that is part of it. It's when in the game, and what impact that particular play had. A hold called on a 2nd and 10 and a hold called on a TD that was called back are two totally separate things. Bama held on one of their TDs last week, clear and textbook as can be seen. UT gets penalized for hands to the face. LSU player gets tossed for targeting, Bama doesn't.

Those are two pretty impactful penalty call/non-calls that are lost in your sheer number stat. Whether it is officiating, recruiting, etc...Bama just plays by a different interpretation of the rules. The officiating office is in Birmingham. It is what it is.

Also, if they are getting called that much, one has to wonder how much isn't getting called. Especially when the average fan can see it themselves.

Reactions: vols40
Also, if they are getting called that much, one has to wonder how much isn't getting called. Especially when the average fan can see it themselves.

And that holds true for both teams. We have been getting to the QB in record fashion when Pruitt stepped into the DC position. Alabama was #1 in the nation in QB sacks in 20016, 2017.

Take a gander:
  1. Alabama led the Football Bowl Subdivision in sacks for the second straight season in 2017, finishing with 54 (the 3.60 average was third). Fifteen different players notched one as defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt was aggressive with his play-calling.
    Defensive end Jonathan Allen led the team with 10.5, followed by linebackers Ryan Anderson and Tim Williams with 9.0 and Reuben Foster with 5.0.
    So, one would think that it also saw opposing players get a lot of holding calls while desperately trying to protect their quarterback. They didn't.
    Over its last eight games, Alabama's opponents were called for holding just once, versus Florida in the SEC Championship Game. They only saw three all season, the others came against Kentucky and Ole Miss.

It's not when penalties and particularly holding penalties are called against Bama, it's a lot more about the fact they are not called.

Lots of mythology out there and I'm happy to expose you to some of the realities of being the best college football program.

And that holds true for both teams. We have been getting to the QB in record fashion when Pruitt stepped into the DC position. Alabama was #1 in the nation in QB sacks in 20016, 2017.

Take a gander:
  1. Alabama led the Football Bowl Subdivision in sacks for the second straight season in 2017, finishing with 54 (the 3.60 average was third). Fifteen different players notched one as defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt was aggressive with his play-calling.
    Defensive end Jonathan Allen led the team with 10.5, followed by linebackers Ryan Anderson and Tim Williams with 9.0 and Reuben Foster with 5.0.
    So, one would think that it also saw opposing players get a lot of holding calls while desperately trying to protect their quarterback. They didn't.
    Over its last eight games, Alabama's opponents were called for holding just once, versus Florida in the SEC Championship Game. They only saw three all season, the others came against Kentucky and Ole Miss.

It's not when penalties and particularly holding penalties are called against Bama, it's a lot more about the fact they are not called.

Lots of mythology out there and I'm happy to expose you to some of the realities of being the best college football program.

It is absolutely about when, and impact to the game. You can keep circling back to total numbers but a call in the 4th quarter when the game is out of hand doesn't mean anything.

Take a look at this from the NCG last year. It is exhibit A on what I'm talking about:

Officials kept hurting UGA in the title game

The bias is real. The penalties are called/not-called at critical times. And this was with Big 10 officials. It's even worse when you have bama alumns running review booths in Birmingham.

It is absolutely about when, and impact to the game. You can keep circling back to total numbers but a call in the 4th quarter when the game is out of hand doesn't mean anything.

If there is some bias, why not flag Bama's opponents? It's one thing if you think they're ignoring Bama's penalties. But doesn't it sort of wash that willful blindness if you also apply it to Bama's opponents? Unless your argument is that only Bama's penalties are being ignored and the opponents are simply playing sound, fundamental football.

If there is some bias, why not flag Bama's opponents? It's one thing if you think they're ignoring Bama's penalties. But doesn't it sort of wash that willful blindness if you also apply it to Bama's opponents? Unless your argument is that only Bama's penalties are being ignored and the opponents are simply playing sound, fundamental football.
In certain situations I think that probably would happen. Look at the Mack Wilson hit on JG last week. Now I am not saying a flag should have been thrown on that play. It wasn't targeting and was just a vicious, legal hit.

However, I couldn't help but think that if, say, Darrell Taylor hit Tua like that, a flag would come out for unnecessary roughness. Not just because it's Bama, but also because of how QBs (especially really good QB) are protected today. And it wouldn't even be because the SEC office got together in a smoke-filled room before the game and said "let's make calls to help Alabama win." Just the sight of Tua getting hit like that would get your attention ultra-quick; you aren't used to seeing it. On the other hand, JG is the QB of the inferior team, taking licks all game. JG taking a big shot is something that is "supposed" to happen, and it doesn't seem surprising when it does.

In certain situations I think that probably would happen. Look at the Mack Wilson hit on JG last week. Now I am not saying a flag should have been thrown on that play. It wasn't targeting and was just a vicious, legal hit.

However, I couldn't help but think that if, say, Darrell Taylor hit Tua like that, a flag would come out for unnecessary roughness. Not just because it's Bama, but also because of how QBs (especially really good QB) are protected today. And it wouldn't even be because the SEC office got together in a smoke-filled room before the game and said "let's make calls to help Alabama win." Just the sight of Tua getting hit like that would get your attention ultra-quick; you aren't used to seeing it. On the other hand, JG is the QB of the inferior team, taking licks all game. JG taking a big shot is something that is "supposed" to happen, and it doesn't seem surprising when it does.

Maybe. But Bituli rocked the crap out of Tua in the 3rd quarter and no flag was thrown. I think it's easy to play "what if" and ignore the evidence to the contrary.

Look at the video in that link. They are flagging Bama's opponents, at opportune times for Bama, as well as "missing" clear penalties on Bama, at opportune times. There is video evidence of it in the link I posted, with an explanation for each. It's not about the number of penalties thrown, it is about when in the game, and the impact of said penalties. The video even shows clear line of sights for the officials, sometimes only feet away, not doing anything when Bama is committing these infractions. This was all in the NCG, too.

Again, this is not evidence of a conspiracy. This is evidence - clear evidence I might add - of blatant bias.

Bama is the best team in the country and that isn't in doubt. You guys are good. Historic even. The fact that there is also video evidence of officiating bias is absurd.

Maybe. But Bituli rocked the crap out of Tua in the 3rd quarter and no flag was thrown. I think it's easy to play "what if" and ignore the evidence to the contrary.
That was a big hit too, but it also wasn't quite as high as Wilson's and the full weight of his body didn't fall on top of Tua.

Take a look at this from the NCG last year. It is exhibit A on what I'm talking about:

Officials kept hurting UGA in the title game

The bias is real. The penalties are called/not-called at critical times. And this was with Big 10 officials. It's even worse when you have bama alumns running review booths in Birmingham.

Bama fans saw a long list of missed calls that went against us in the NC. We don't play the blame game like our opponents so don't look for billboards, politicians, fans, ADs, moaning and groaning about what they otherwise couldn't get done. Beat your opponent.

As we speak, LSU is calling a conspiracy that Bama is somehow responsible for the Devin White kid getting the targeting call in Baton Rouge. Good Lawd. Also, they are calling out the league because of the Mack Wilson hit on the vol QB as another example of the growing conspiracy. There is not enough tin foil for these fan bases to cover all their insecurities. Face it, they just can't beat the Tide.

Bama fans saw a long list of missed calls that went against us in the NC. We don't play the blame game like our opponents so don't look for billboards, politicians, fans, ADs, moaning and groaning about what they otherwise couldn't get done. Beat your opponent.

As we speak, LSU is calling a conspiracy that Bama is somehow responsible for the Devin White kid getting the targeting call in Baton Rouge. Good Lawd. Also, they are calling out the league because of the Mack Wilson hit on the vol QB as another example of the growing conspiracy. There is not enough tin foil for these fan bases to cover all their insecurities. Face it, they just can't beat the Tide.

People way overplay their hand in stuff like this. There is no "conspiracy" in the classic sense. There is no meeting in a smoke-filled room where the SEC office colludes and hatches a plan to deprive Alabama's opponents a chance to win the game.

However, I do think it is totally fair to wonder that if an Alabama LB, in the identical circumstance to Devin White, hit another QB like that, would there be a flag? If a Tennessee LB hit Tua like Mack Wilson hit JG, would there be a flag? I don't think it is unreasonable to think there wouldn't be a flag in the first situation and there would be in the second.

Again - not a conspiracy, and it wouldn't make a difference in the game, but it is fair to wonder. Great teams and players get benefits of the doubt all the time in all sports. It's natural and human nature to do so. When a ref sees Tua get thrashed, and the hit at live speed looks like it was high, and the body weight of the defender falls on him, he'll get benefit of the doubt. Alabama is a great team and Tua a great QB, and he's not "supposed" to get hit like that. So when it happens, it gets your attention as an official. It's just instinctive. JG, on the other hand, is on the inferior team playing behind a bad offensive line and gets pressured every drop back. He's "supposed" to get hit, so when he does get thrashed it takes more to bring out the flag.

That was a big hit too, but it also wasn't quite as high as Wilson's and the full weight of his body didn't fall on top of Tua.

Again, I see your point, but that's splitting hairs. It was a violent hit and Tua was slow to get up, but it didn't draw a flag. It's easy to throw out hypotheticals because they're basically immune to rebuttal.

People way overplay their hand in stuff like this. There is no "conspiracy" in the classic sense. There is no meeting in a smoke-filled room where the SEC office colludes and hatches a plan to deprive Alabama's opponents a chance to win the game.

However, I do think it is totally fair to wonder that if an Alabama LB, in the identical circumstance to Devin White, hit another QB like that, would there be a flag? If a Tennessee LB hit Tua like Mack Wilson hit JG, would there be a flag? I don't think it is unreasonable to think there wouldn't be a flag in the first situation and there would be in the second.

So, everyone is left wondering. Alabama has as many perplexing questions about the targeting call as any other fan base. We have targeting calls on our team almost every game and some are reversed. What did you think of the targeting call that was reversed on the Auburn DB against an Ole Miss receiver? What's not perplexing about this judgment call for everyone?

Every SEC crew has their own version of this stuff. Once it called on the field the video has the responsibility to prove it DIDN'T happen. Some players have been tossed because they didn't have the best angle to prove it didn't happen. Could have easily happened to White, it's happened to plenty more, including Alabama. Had they not called it and the replay booth wanted to take a look at a violent hit, which they often do, that call as well would not have been reversed. Refs often say, "the call stands" because there is not enough visual evidence one way or the other.

Again - not a conspiracy, and it wouldn't make a difference in the game, but it is fair to wonder. Great teams and players get benefits of the doubt all the time in all sports. It's natural and human nature to do so. When a ref sees Tua get thrashed, and the hit at live speed looks like it was high, and the body weight of the defender falls on him, he'll get benefit of the doubt. Alabama is a great team and Tua a great QB, and he's not "supposed" to get hit like that. So when it happens, it gets your attention as an official. It's just instinctive. JG, on the other hand, is on the inferior team playing behind a bad offensive line and gets pressured every drop back. He's "supposed" to get hit, so when he does get thrashed it takes more to bring out the flag.

That's fine, but the conspiracy theorists are going much further and beyond the realm of Disney World. Just ask James Carville and the LSU AD?

Those who can, DO. Those who can't, grip and groan.

VN Store

Back