Randy Smith: An Open Letter to Butch Jones

"All the credit for the Vols' demise can't really be credited to you though Butch. Lane Kiffin had a hand in it and so did three years under Derek Dooley."

Nope, nope, nope. Sorry, Randy. What happened in 2017 was all Butch. He had 4 years to recruit his own players and develop them leading up to 2017. So 4-8 (0-8), and the mess he was paid to walk away from, is all on Butch.

I know I had some fun at Butch's expense this weekend (Butch being the 2nd most famous intern associated with a cigar) but we need to let the hate towards him go. He came in, he tried but the job was too big for him....
I didn't hate him until he signed a miniscule contract with Alabama with the intent of bleeding us financially. I wish only the very worst on him. Especially after his Cigar posturing, with him acting like he's done something

Butch Jones is more pitiable than worthy of anger. In hindsight, with the stuff we've all read now, he strikes me as a small man with crushing insecurities, as evidenced by, well, name it. The breakdown after the Georgia game, showing that the moment was bigger than him. The culture under his watch, where otherwise very successful coaches like Bob Shoop are on the record as saying they never really got the opportunity to be themselves or do their thing. We are probably never going to hear the full extent of what all went on with coaches and players trying to navigate the minefield of that guy's personality.

Sucking on a stogie that came solely from riding someone else's coattails, and gloating instead of having the humility to act like he knows full well that he couldn't get it done for us on his own watch... that just goes to show you that he's got a thin skin, and that he knows full well what everyone here thinks of him and it cuts him. Otherwise why indulge some "look at me, I'm a winner" vanity like that, when he looks more like a punchline than a champion. Any sensible person would have been keeping their head down and avoiding the spotlight, and focusing on work and trying to rebuild some semblance of credibility as a coach.

Enjoy the cigar, Butch. Meanwhile we'll enjoy seeing a program get built on a more solid foundation.

I didn't hate him until he signed a miniscule contract with Alabama with the intent of bleeding us financially. I wish only the very worst on him. Especially after his Cigar posturing, with him acting like he's done something
I really would have hoped that when somebody asked for the picture he have sheepishly said "let's don't do that. It's too soon." But whatever floats his boat. I'm sure he feels like he somehow deserved more time.

Lol... Damn straight! That's our highest point total against them in 15 years.

A prime example of one of those times when he probably should have just written an article, breathed deeply and hit delete.

Lulz, that's the highest point they've ever scored against us. And they quit scoring.

Lets just be happy he isn't here any longer. Him with that stick in his mouth means nothing other than he couldn't accomplish such a feat on his watch. He certainly isn't worth writing a long letter to as a coach. Brighter days will come.
Yep, just think if gators don’t complete their Hail Mary we win and we beat USC on last seconds of the game last year, ole brick by brick is probably still on the sidelines and we are one more year behind and continued laughing stock of SEC

Reactions: Volstar65
Every time I see Randy Smith's name, I think about the PPV game where he did commentary and kept referring to us making a 16 yard FG.... which is mathematically impossible.
Lol. Never thought about that.

I guess I just don't see the point in even acknowledging Butch. It's not like he was out there trying to get attention.
I don't see why anybody has a problem with Randy venting about it. And he got attention whether he wanted it or not when he got a gatorade bath and posed for pictures.

I really would have hoped that when somebody asked for the picture he have sheepishly said "let's don't do that. It's too soon." But whatever floats his boat. I'm sure he feels like he somehow deserved more time.
I imagine he probably asked for the picture. He probably dreamed this up months ago

I don't even know the author. I just know he was a local news guy who wrote his opinion and didn't clear it with y'all first.

I apologize then, your knowledge of his accolades gave the impression that you either knew or follow him. Maybe he will think about the proper channels before his next "letter".

I apologize then, your knowledge of his accolades gave the impression that you either knew or follow him. Maybe he will think about the proper channels before his next "letter".
He's a local guy, inducted to the TN HoF, so yeah, lol, I heard about it.

VN Store

Back