Irwin: Guarantano throws a prettier ball than Manning, but doesn't have the intangibles

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Sorry to start another quarterback thread, but I think his comments are worth reading.

Irwin: I’m gonna say something that’s very controversial here. Jarrett throws a prettier ball than Peyton Manning did, but he doesn’t seem to have the intangibles that you need for long-term success. I think you’re astute when you say he looks down the receiver. I don’t think he knows where he’s going instantly and I don’t think he recognizes blitzes. I don’t think he gets his line in the proper protection to pick up a blitz when they show it early. And I think those intangibles, those things maybe you don’t recognize as a fan, are what keeps him from rising to the next level on a consistent basis. He throws a fine football, he’s athletic, he’s tough. I just don’t think he gets the intangible part of the game and doesn’t do a good job of keeping himself out of those situations where he gets blasted, and I think that may be the most important part of playing quarterback.

More comments from Irwin below, if you're interested.

Irwin: Guarantano throws a prettier ball than Manning, but doesn’t have the intangibles

Last edited:
He's been hit too many times with a guy coming free. That's not all on the Oline. That's why when Chryst came in it looked different. Thing is there is something about Chryst they don't like. Probably lack of a deep ball that has kept him sidelined.

He's been hit too many times with a guy coming free. That's not all on the Oline. That's why when Chryst came in it looked different. Thing is there is something about Chryst they don't like. Probably lack of a deep ball that has kept him sidelined.
The flip side to that is that JG rarely has the time to throw a deep ball. Hopefully, it will all click for JG and he will light it up. I’m starting to wonder if they’re going to split playing time from here on out.

One could argue that JG has issue's with timing on deep balls

Sorry to start another quarterback thread, but I think his comments are worth reading.

I don’t think he gets his line in the proper protection to pick up a blitz when they show it early. And I think those intangibles, those things maybe you don’t recognize as a fan, are what keeps him from rising to the next level on a consistent basis.

Irwin: Guarantano throws a prettier ball than Manning, but doesn’t have the intangibles

Re: those things maybe you don’t recognize as a fan,

Good post, and many thanks.

Do the Coaches recognize, it?

I saw a look on tv, b/w Helton and Chryst (and I think a fist-bump) after his first (or second) td pass -- I liked that look b/w coach and player.

The fans aren't the ones making the starting line-up, nor are we the ones coaching the OL to protect the starting qb -- but many fans have been seeing something's not right with this OL and it's ability to protect the starting qb (goodness, Josh Dobbs was sacked 6 times agains Mizz several years ago and this still persists).

Patience, I suppose.

well, let's face it we do have a QB situation worth talking about...nothing wrong with that...yes, JG does throw a nice longer ball...yes, he does hold it a second too long...Keller throws a better short ball and gets rid of it faster...Manning had a better O-line to throw behind...short or long...:D

GO VOLS!

What is said here is the plain and simple answer that many of us have been trying to say for sometime. For us dumbas-es, "he just doesn't have football smarts." Being tough is not helping with what happens to him. If he knew the things Irwin speaks of, he wouldn't have to show how tough he is on every play. The ball would be out of his hands on a pass or to a back, not him trying to decide what to do until he gets hammered.

What is said here is the plain and simple answer that many of us have been trying to say for sometime. For us dumbas-es, "he just doesn't have football smarts." Being tough is not helping with what happens to him. If he knew the things Irwin speaks of, he wouldn't have to show how tough he is on every play. The ball would be out of his hands on a pass or to a back, not him trying to decide what to do until he gets hammered.
Even Gary Danielson called it out. It's obvious to all but the orange tented glasses wearing people. He gets hit too much and half of it is not on the Oline.

A lot of QB's throw a prettier ball than Peyton....it was Peyton's placing of the ball and his continual work with his receivers that made him one of the greatest QB's of all time...it was his work ethic for perfection in before practice, during practice, after practice, before the game, during the game and after the game and his constant film study...
Peyton was normal but you were never going to out work him...and he stated that

This... Chryst had a similar play where the guy came in unblocked and he recognized it, and threw it up where Jennings could go get it....If our OL can't keep our QB clean, we need a guy who can recognize the pressure and get it out safely. JG better recognize this quickly, cause he's the one going to suffer the most if he doesn't correct it.

2 Things that Guarantano cannot seem to overcome:
1. Holding the ball too long
2. Sensing oncoming pressure mainly cause he still tends to stair down WR's.
Our receivers are really good! Get the ball in the air and let THEM make a play!!

JMO

A lot of QB's throw a prettier ball than Peyton....it was Peyton's placing of the ball and his continual work with his receivers that made him one of the greatest QB's of all time...it was his work ethic for perfection in before practice, during practice, after practice, before the game, during the game and after the game and his constant film study...
Peyton was normal but you were never going to out work him...and he stated that
Be careful you might say the obvious, Peyton was and is just smarter. Not to talk "bad" about JG, Peyton is smarter (football wise) than most people.

Fans who’ve said the same things all year aren’t “haters”. I want to see JG play like he did against Auburn every game - and once he learns from film study and practice enough to overcome these mistakes, hopefully he will.

I’d like to see KC get the start against S.C. maybe he gets our offense going early and if not JG can come off the bench to provide a spark (would be a nice luxury to let him rest the injury a full week though)

Next year our Oline will be better (after a second year of actual S&C and a real OL coach instead of a ballet instructor). I think JG will benefit from actual coaching too and will come into his own next year with more games like he had against Auburn.

Reactions: njvols

VN Store

Back