Horston to TENNESSEE!!!

Totally agree about the concern for the three additional Hayses being on scholarship. They are “good” guards...don’t get me wrong. But not Horston, Cooke and Jackson level good. I too was concerned about having to fulfill whatever ridiculous promise was made to get Annie to campus and while it seems awesome that all the sisters would have the same or better talent level, its not realistic plus they weren’t very tall. There was absolutely no reason to fill the roster with three or four of the same type of guard...period.

I call it a silver lining. Hell, if you think Hayes’ dad was acting a fool about Evina last season, he would’ve REALLY clowned if Holly and staff had picked up Horston and Cooke or Rogers with his precious daughters on the team. And even Holly and staff aren’t crazy enough to not recruit guards like Horston/Cooke/Rogers just to appease a family or handful of players yappin about being recruited over or about playing time. Y’all thought we had chemistry issues before? Hah! Would’ve been tragic. #BlessingInDisguise

In Maria's story about Horston's commitment, Jordan heaps the most praise on Sharrona Reaves as the primary recruiter. What a terrific hire Coaches Reaves was -- just wonderful for the program. Horston also mentions Coach Gordon as having played an important part. I couldn't be happier with those two.

In Maria's story about Horston's commitment, Jordan heaps the most praise on Sharrona Reaves as the primary recruiter. What a terrific hire Coaches Reaves was -- just wonderful for the program. Horston also mentions Coach Gordon as having played an important part. I couldn't be happier with those two.

Recruiting has been huge since Sharrona arrived. Probably the best recruiting team in the country right now based on results. Great move adding her to the staff. Bridgett too!

Agreed. It sounded to me like Tennessee was an early favorite, and never lost its position.

Agree on the ONE recruit (Horston) . However, the other two ( if they come ) I don’t think we could have gotten all three if Annie was still here! If we get them ... we can argue the validity since Annie is indeed gone! 🤔

The really good thing is Horston will not be put in a position to start from game one like Westbrook and Davis. No matter how good you are in high school, freshmen are freshmen. She can ease into the lineup as the season progresses.

True. It's always best to give freshmen time to ease into the college game -- if that's an available option. Most young players sorely need it. That said, if it turns out she's one of those transcendent players who comes to the table hungry enough to put an upperclassman on the bench, I'm fine with that, too. Either way the future looks bright. :)

All very good points. I personally feel like Evina is a more cerebral player, has a very high b-ball IQ, and would be the leader on the team. Horston is gifted player, seems as though she can play multiple positions, and is pretty athletic. I’m just happy Horston chose us. I know she’s not officially on the team yet but I’m just happy and looking forward to top recruits coming here.
The other recruits who came to visit UT with Jordan I do hope we get one or both.
Are we ranked as far as recruiting ? Or is it still too early as the girls are still choosing teams?

Reactions: ruvol and cutiepie5
That’s awesome. These were all CHW selections right (Gordon & Reaves)?

That’s awesome. These were all CHW selections right (Gordon & Reaves)?

Reaves was brought on after Elzy and Warlick agreed to part ways. There was a some butting of heads as far as how recruiting was being addressed among other things. They are by all means still friends and no respect lost between them but they just weren't working well together. Reaves has been a magnificent hire so far. Gordon as well. Anosike joining the staff as a graduate assistant will pay off in a number of ways as well... especially as far as team leadership development goes.

Because of Horston alone I would say we have a top 5 class as of now. Both Saunders and Key help solidify that spot. I think there are quite a few teams in contention for top recruiting class including the likes of UConn, Ohio State, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Stanford, Maryland and Louisville. South Carolina and Miss State both have a shot at sneaking into the upper echelon of recruiting class rank. Maryland has Ashley Owusu, Zoe Young and Diamond Miller who are all top 25 talent along with another top 100 player. Louisville has Nyah Green and Ramani Parker and still has a shot as some other top 25 recruits, including Rickea Jackson and Zia Cooke. Notre Dame has two top 10 players in Sam Brunelle and Anaya Peoples and have a shot at adding Boston and Haley Jones, the number 3 and 1 players. UConn is also in the running for both players to go with their top 100 recruit Aubrey Griffin. Stanford has a shot at Haley Jones and already have commits from two top 25 players in Fran Belibi and Ashten Prechtel. OSU has offered close to 7.4 million players in this class and have commits from at least 3 top 50 players that I know of including top 10 player Kiersten Bell. Boston, Rickea Jackson and I think Rogers and Laeticia Amihere are all still considering OSU.

If only one of the three final recruits on our list commit to Tennessee it would probably secure a spot in the top 5. If it's Jackson and Cooke or Jackson and Rogers I would say that would give us the top or number two class I don't think Rogers and Cooke both go to the same school because of position. If Notre Dame were to sign Boston, Jones, Brunelle and Peoples that would be one of the best classes in history and pretty hard to top but Tennessee would be close. Horston, Jackson and Cooke to go with Key and Saunders would be hard to top as well as that would give us 3 top 10 recruits. Swap Rogers for Cooke and still top class level as Rogers is very good. Lots of dominos need to fall and a lot of teams are still involved with the highest profile recruits. We are lucky to have one of if not the best player in a very deep class and probably have a great shot with any of the three that are left. Horston is close with both Cooke and Jackson so having her assist with recruiting will give Tennessee a little bit of an advantage at this point.

So informative. Love it. Thanks for the insight.
What is the first name of Saunders? I don’t think I see her on the espn listing of the top high school players.

So informative. Love it. Thanks for the insight.
What is the first name of Saunders? I don’t think I see her on the espn listing of the top high school players.

Emily Saunders is a 3 star recruit and is not in the top 100 . Tamari Key is rated #50 (PN) and #46 (HG). Sister ( Teonni Key ) (2021) is rated #8 (PN). Saunders is 6’5” with POTENTIAL. It may take some time for her to contribute...

Women's college basketball recruiting - giving stars beginning at age 14 - through 17 on potential to perform at the college level - based on athleticism, and offensive ability. Defense shot blocking and quick hands but not on ability to play college required defense. All colleges are recruiting currently young women who have not played their senior year in college.

When this thread started in January 2018 the majority of regulars stated the importance of post players, plus then on several of their favorite top 10 players. In my opinion whether or not another player is signed the Lady Vols identified their needs for 2019 and fulfilled them. Three quality young women have committed who want to attend UT. No matter how one adds up stars, or top classes or whether one or more are signed the LVs had a plan and were successful in fulfilling their needs.

Emily Saunders is a 3 star recruit and is not in the top 100 . Tamari Key is rated #50 (PN) and #46 (HG). Sister ( Teonni Key ) (2021) is rated #8 (PN). Saunders is 6’5” with POTENTIAL. It may take some time for her to contribute...

Emily Saunders is in Prospects Nation Top 100 list and I know they've actually seen her play. I don't believe Dan Olsen has seen her play therefore she gets a default rating by Hoopgurlz.

Reactions: PRG
I've heard from multiple people that Zia Cooke will likely decide by the end of this month. Jackson is likely to decide in November. Both will decide by early signing period.

This will be interesting with Endyia visiting next weekend. If Endyia has a great visit and wants to commit before Cooke decides, do you take her? You would think if Cooke and Jackson are a package they would announce the same day?

Emily Saunders is in Prospects Nation Top 100 list and I know they've actually seen her play. I don't believe Dan Olsen has seen her play therefore she gets a default rating by Hoopgurlz.

Thanks for the update. You have to select the next page to get to her ratings of #89. I am used to looking at the top recruits for us. Sorry for not being more accurate. She was first to verbal and I believe someone said: “she is still growing?” I think more highly of PN verses HG. Looking forward to both bigs and watching their games...

Reaves was brought on after Elzy and Warlick agreed to part ways. There was a some butting of heads as far as how recruiting was being addressed among other things. They are by all means still friends and no respect lost between them but they just weren't working well together. Reaves has been a magnificent hire so far. Gordon as well. Anosike joining the staff as a graduate assistant will pay off in a number of ways as well... especially as far as team leadership development goes.

Because of Horston alone I would say we have a top 5 class as of now. Both Saunders and Key help solidify that spot. I think there are quite a few teams in contention for top recruiting class including the likes of UConn, Ohio State, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Stanford, Maryland and Louisville. South Carolina and Miss State both have a shot at sneaking into the upper echelon of recruiting class rank. Maryland has Ashley Owusu, Zoe Young and Diamond Miller who are all top 25 talent along with another top 100 player. Louisville has Nyah Green and Ramani Parker and still has a shot as some other top 25 recruits, including Rickea Jackson and Zia Cooke. Notre Dame has two top 10 players in Sam Brunelle and Anaya Peoples and have a shot at adding Boston and Haley Jones, the number 3 and 1 players. UConn is also in the running for both players to go with their top 100 recruit Aubrey Griffin. Stanford has a shot at Haley Jones and already have commits from two top 25 players in Fran Belibi and Ashten Prechtel. OSU has offered close to 7.4 million players in this class and have commits from at least 3 top 50 players that I know of including top 10 player Kiersten Bell. Boston, Rickea Jackson and I think Rogers and Laeticia Amihere are all still considering OSU.

If only one of the three final recruits on our list commit to Tennessee it would probably secure a spot in the top 5. If it's Jackson and Cooke or Jackson and Rogers I would say that would give us the top or number two class I don't think Rogers and Cooke both go to the same school because of position. If Notre Dame were to sign Boston, Jones, Brunelle and Peoples that would be one of the best classes in history and pretty hard to top but Tennessee would be close. Horston, Jackson and Cooke to go with Key and Saunders would be hard to top as well as that would give us 3 top 10 recruits. Swap Rogers for Cooke and still top class level as Rogers is very good. Lots of dominos need to fall and a lot of teams are still involved with the highest profile recruits. We are lucky to have one of if not the best player in a very deep class and probably have a great shot with any of the three that are left. Horston is close with both Cooke and Jackson so having her assist with recruiting will give Tennessee a little bit of an advantage at this point.

I think the fight over the few top recruits is building to (will the rich get richer or who strikes out ?)
The biggest battle is over (#1 Jones) (#3 Boston) or top ten (Amihere). UConn is after all three, but Stanford is after Jones & Amihere. And Norte Dame is after Boston & Amihere. While South Carolina wants Jones & Boston. Going to be interesting especially if UConn and SC end up with none of the above?
How about the ones we are still after? Top ten recruits Jackson & Cooke are being recruited by UT, Miss. St. South Carolina, Ohio and Louisville. The closest schools are Ohio and Louisville if that matters? We have a lot of competition for these ladies but I hope Jordan can give us a little help!
Probable strike outs: UConn... rumors have Jones staying close to home and picking Stanford? And Boston leaning towards Notre Dame? South Carolina is in on Jones , Boston, Cooke & Jackson , but right now they have zero!!!! Boy would that be a major problem.... Then again they could get all four?🤔

Just for fun look at what our new commit does to Ohio’s best players throughout this clip. The clip starts with her and another recruit we are interested in joking around becuz they are on opposite teams then her taking some girl to the rack.

The best players in Ohio were invited to a show case and these ladies looked like they were going all out.

Keep an eye out at the 1:45 mark to see Jordan’s skills then what she does to the #6 (HG) recruit in the country (#24 Keirstan Bell).

Last edited:
Reactions: PRG and Rickster
This will be interesting with Endyia visiting next weekend. If Endyia has a great visit and wants to commit before Cooke decides, do you take her? You would think if Cooke and Jackson are a package they would announce the same day?

It seems that the decision is sometimes made early then kept under wraps.

Those much more knowledgeable than I have said that we take no more than 5 this year and we already have 3 commitments.

I believe all three targets left are top players regardless of rankings which are always subjective. Part of me says take the two higher ranked players but another part says that young Lady from Texas would be a great catch as well and maybe just as good as anyone based on our current needs. The Longhorns have been known to recruit well also and they want her.

I would like to see us get any one of our remaining targets. Getting more than one would be bliss and would, IMO (for what it's worth), give us the top ranked class in at least one recruiting service.

VN Store

Back