UT and UConn...on the gridiron

Could set a record of lowest attended Vols game in the 21st century?
I'm sure their stadium would be at capacity.

I'm not sure how this would make any sense for us, unless Fulmer just wants the automatic wins without having to pay an FCS team.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
chance to recruit NE better? rather play Syracuse...and,

GO VOLS!

I know coaches do these these for just that reason. Apparently.

But I seriously wonder. Does TN playing 1 game in the area really get that much attention from 15-17 year old HS players, parents, and coaches? I mean do we invite them to the game or is the buzz in the media around the game regionally supposed to really make that much difference?

My only knowledge related to this was hearing Casey Clausen (iirc) once say that he got interested in Tennessee when he was at the UT / UCLA game and got to watch PM warm up before the game. Probably 1997.

Other than that, I wonder how much recruiting goes into these decisions made 10 years out?

I know coaches do these these for just that reason. Apparently.

But I seriously wonder. Does TN playing 1 game in the area really get that much attention from 15-17 year old HS players, parents, and coaches? I mean do we invite them to the game or is the buzz in the media around the game regionally supposed to really make that much difference?

My only knowledge related to this was hearing Casey Clausen (iirc) once say that he got interested in Tennessee when he was at the UT / UCLA game and got to watch PM warm up before the game. Probably 1997.

Other than that, I wonder how much recruiting goes into these decisions made 10 years out?

And while that probably had an effect in the 90’s and prior, I doubt it really does much in the modern era. That’s my argument with all of these neutral site games in Atlanta, Charlotte, etc..

What, they’ve never heard of the Vols until they came to town? I don’t buy it...

My former neighbors live near UConn. Would give us a good excuse to go visit for a week.

And while that probably had an effect in the 90’s and prior, I doubt it really does much in the modern era. That’s my argument with all of these neutral site games in Atlanta, Charlotte, etc..

What, they’ve never heard of the Vols until they came to town? I don’t buy it...

It's more of a showcase for recruits. We recruit North Carolina pretty heavily, so a game in Charlotte is beneficial for us. Same with Atlanta. Remember a lot of these potential recruits are attending these games. Also a nice thing for UT fans living in those areas (and there are lots of them).

Also benefits to playing in places like California, Texas, Florida, etc, since it gets our name out there and establishes us as a national brand. I'd kinda like to see a home-and-home with Cal or UCLA again.

That said, in regards to Connecticut, there's no conceivable recruiting benefit we could've derived from it. New England is one of the worst regions for football recruiting. Even the NYC market is pretty bad for football (basketball is another story). Glad we dumped it, but makes no sense that we ever considered even considered a home-and-home with UConn.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
That said, in regards to Connecticut, there's no conceivable recruiting benefit we could've derived from it. New England is one of the worst regions for football recruiting. Even the NYC market is pretty bad for football (basketball is another story). Glad we dumped it, but makes no sense that we ever considered even considered a home-and-home with UConn.
Yep. It's one of the dumbest matchups I've ever heard of.

The dearth of recruits in that part of the country given the population density is pretty amazing. For the 2018 the State of Georgia had 5 5-star and 28 4-star recruits. The State of New York had 1 5-star and 4-stars. In the entire state. Their state's population is almost 50% higher than Georgia's. I get the football is more popular in the south, but come on.

What a boring matchup. I would much rather have a home and home with a Pac12 team (Cal, UCLA, Arizona, USC).

There was a really good tight end from Connecticut that played at Florida. They took a real shot in the dark recruiting him.

Reactions: rockytop989

VN Store

Back