Tennessee UConn Rivalry Renewed (UPDATED)

I think I know why this series started up again.... and it does make sense for both sides in different ways.....

The important thing is not that we win though we must not look silly..... it is a great platform for us... a great opportunity to establish ourselves as how we would like to be seen by rest of nation.

and yes it will sell tickets..... and it will be good for WCBB..... far from rivalry.... that ship sailed long time ago.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Strictly from a roster standpoint, the two teams will be pretty even in terms if personnel when 2020 gets here. Dangerfield will likely be the best player on the floor in the first game. Other than ONO, Tennessee will have a definite advantage in terms of height and inside presence.

Tennessee (current projected roster)
Kamera Harris - Senior
Rennia Davis - Junior
Anastasia Hayes - Junior
Kasi Kushkituah - Junior
Evina Westbrook - Junior
Rae Burrell - Sophomore
Mimi Collins - Sophomore
Zay Green - Sophomore
Jazmine Massengill - Sophomore
Tamari Key - Freshman
Emily Saunders - Freshman

UConn (current projected roster)
Molly Bent - Senior
Crystal Dangerfield - Senior
Kyla Irwin - Senior
Batouly Camara - Senior
Mikayla Coombs - Junior
Megan Walker - Junior
Lexi Gordon - Junior
Christyn Williams - Sophomore
Olivia Nelson Ododa - Sophomore
This does not take into account coaching as a factor.How do you think that weighs in ?

Reactions: tbwhhs
But... but... Pat's wishes? Slap in the face to her legacy? Apology to Geno and Maya Moore?

There is absolutely no reason for Tennessee to schedule this game, except for all the LV fans who supposedly died off will magically be resurrected for an afternoon/evening. We can only hope Holly will be gone by then so it might have a chance to be somewhat competitive...

this is huge for Tennessee. Look everyone gets blown out to uconn except notre dame maybe. But it helps team be better look at ms state and notre dame and south carolina . Umm Ill take it holly is trying to make big moves to get us to the top and if they expose us maybe we need to be

Hey I've been reading these posts and would like to make a few comments. My name on this site is NeedOrange. I choose that because as a life long UConn supporter, I recognize that WBB needs a strong Tennessee. I really want Tennessee to be great again. I want to say to all those who talk about getting creamed by UConn. I don't think you are worthy to support the University of Tennessee Lady Vol's. If you said those word to Pat Summit, though she is too much a lady to give you the smacking you deserve, you would get the cold stare so hard you would feel like you were shot. I sincerely hope UConn and UT always play as NO.s 1 and 2 and that UConn doesn't always win. Because that's what made the series great. My apologies to most of you I have offended.

Lots of online chatter, including from Holly Rowe, saying that HUGE news will be coming out today, and that this hasn't happened in a long time.

Tennessee UConn series back on this year and next.

Updated: UConn will host Tennessee in January 2020, and then in Knoxville in 2021. Proceeds will benefit the Basketball HOF and Pat Summitt Foundation.

Definitely not with Coach Holly. Lady vols had not played in any high level to match up with Uconn. Sorry fans, they're going to beat vols by 80point.

If this is accurate it will probably hurt UT. We are not on that level and getting creamed twice each year will turn recruits off to coming here when they could go there and win. Being realistic, does anyone actually think we could beat Uconn or think that Geno would not beat us by 50 if he could. At this moment in time we simply are not on the same level as they are and do not have the coaching to pull that kind of an upset.

Or, we could just send their Husky tails back to the north, with a loss.

How bout that!?

You are correct.
Pat is rolling over in her grave.
She vowed UT would never play a Geno coachedUconn again.
Can’t believe Holly would do this.
This is a bit melodramatic. Did she really say that ? The subject of renewing the series was brought up a few years ago but Auriemma said that he would only agree to it if Tennessee's staff apologized to Maya Moore and her mother for the controversy over her recruitment. Apparently, he has dropped that. My guess is that ESPN encouraged him to drop it and start playing the series again. There aren't many women's college basketball games during the course of the regular season that arouse interest. This definitely will... whether or not that lasts for more than one game depends on how competitive a game it is.

Well now, the last time these programs met was when Parker dunked in Hartford. They will come determined to destroy us. I hope we come determined to destroy them. Not literally, I mean, just ... second to Tennessee-Alabama, this is arguably the next most hateful rivalry in Tennessee athletics. It deserves the best product the sport can muster. Ain't going to hope for this or wish for that. Just play ball and get it done, Tennessee.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I see this as a byproduct of the time......... for LVs.... the quest to stay relevant in the national picture (yes please challenge me n that if you desire)..... for CT, the wind down of the Auriemma era.... entering transition.

I see this as a byproduct of the time......... for LVs.... the quest to stay relevant in the national picture (yes please challenge me n that if you desire)..... for CT, the wind down of the Auriemma era.... entering transition.
I will gladly point out that the way Tennessee is recruiting shows that they are "relevant" to the people who matter. Although, that is such a subjective word; open to each individual interpretation.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Or, we could just send their Husky tails back to the north, with a loss.

How bout that!?

Have you been watching the same lady vols that I have been watching? Can you name one single game in the last 2 years in which we outplayed a top 3 team? When was the last time we beat a number 1 ranked team? Better yet, lets get some easy questions......how many final fours have we made this decade? We have been to less final fours than Uconn has undefeated seasons. They will not be going back north with a loss. We will get embarrassed and it will hurt recruiting. We simply do not have the coaching or the schemes to pull off that big of an upset.

VN Store

Back