Beating a dead horse...

Mccage

After seeing some of the former Vols the last two years having success in the NFL I'm beginning to get a little hope that our oven may have some cornbread in it. I've never been one to bash former Coaches and I'm not going to beat that Ole horse but I'm thinking about maybe walking up and kicking it a time or two!

After seeing some of the former Vols the last two years having success in the NFL I'm beginning to get a little hope that our oven may have some cornbread in it. I've never been one to bash former Coaches and I'm not going to beat that Ole horse but I'm thinking about maybe walking up and kicking it a time or two!

MMMMM Cornbread!!!!!!!

cornbread.gif

Reactions: cbe
dead-horse-gif-9.gif

I think we've got more talent than some people seem to think. And maybe the new coaches can help them play more to their potential. One thing's for sure, they ought to all be reminded often that during the O&W game, a former Bama player said that not one of our guys could start at Alabama.

Coaches matter a lot in college football, from head coach all the way to S&C. Lyle was not up to the challenge of coaching in the SEC. He relied too heavily on his scheme and didn’t have the versatility or coaching chops to get the best out of his players or even to utilize the ones he had to maximize team success. He surrounded himself (for the most part) with assistants that were either not SEC caliber or had already failed in the SEC.

Pruitt seems to be the polar opposite. He’s a coaches coach; old school. And his assistants are proven at the highest level (for the most part). The idea that the Vols will be better than expected shouldn’t be so controversial. The media pumps up teams that have had success in the past. They disregard teams that haven’t. Don’t believe the predictions. We’re going bowling without a doubt, and we will win 1-2 games we “aren’t supposed to, starting with the season opener. 8-9 wins this year + a bowl victory and SEC East contenders next year!

Coaches matter a lot in college football, from head coach all the way to S&C. Lyle was not up to the challenge of coaching in the SEC. He relied too heavily on his scheme and didn’t have the versatility or coaching chops to get the best out of his players or even to utilize the ones he had to maximize team success. He surrounded himself (for the most part) with assistants that were either not SEC caliber or had already failed in the SEC.

Pruitt seems to be the polar opposite. He’s a coaches coach; old school. And his assistants are proven at the highest level (for the most part). The idea that the Vols will be better than expected shouldn’t be so controversial. The media pumps up teams that have had success in the past. They disregard teams that haven’t. Don’t believe the predictions. We’re going bowling without a doubt, and we will win 1-2 games we “aren’t supposed to, starting with the season opener. 8-9 wins this year + a bowl victory and SEC East contenders next year!

With all the changes we have this year, I still have hope for a good (6-6 or 7-5) season. I have been wrong for the last two years. I am due to get one right. Oh, and I love real cornbread. Not the cake stuff.

8 or 9 regular season wins? So more than Saban his first year, and more than Kirby Smart his first year with the same squad that played for a National Championship the following season? This will be a site to behold.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
CJP will get the proper personell on the field quickly. Some players step-up when the adrenaline starts pumping and some buckle. Practicing gives some insight, but not complete. Having a stout opponent in 1st game isn't ideal nor is UT's overall schedule this year. Playing WVU close or barely winning could set the tone for the season. UT players need more than anything a confidence boost. IMO, if they don't have it by the time the gators roll into K-town they'll get it that weekend because UT will curb stomp UF in Neyland this year. Book it Dano! Go Big Orange :mad: (where my emojies at freak?)

Ok, so admittedly I wear orange colored glasses, but give me a chance. The season hinges on the first game. A win as 10 point underdogs would be an epic start to the Pruitt era. Why do we have a shot to win the game? West Virginia is overrated. Sure they have a great offense, but their defense is horrible. I know, I know ours is worse...but are they? Last year’s team was statistically dreadful, but the stats might be misleading.

All players seem to have gotten a noticeable bump in size and strength. We’re getting DK back, and Tuttle is healthy again. Kongbo is likely a more natural fit at end/OLB, and I’m expecting Darrell Taylor to make a leap this year under the new staff. Our true freshman DBs are elite athletes and will likely be an improvement on last year’s secondary. Depth on the line may be an issue, but then again Paul Bain has said he wants to play in the League, and what Bain wants Bain gets.

Although we’re installing a new defence, our coaches and players say it will be “multiple.” If we need to switch between the 3-4 and 4-3, we can. Pruitt strikes me as a coach that will adjust, not stubbornly stick to his scheme even when adjustments are obviously needed. If what I hear from the practices is true, the new coaches are “coaching-up” the players, and that is a noticeable change from the previous staff.

I’m assuming our offense will be better than last years. I won’t go into all the details why, but our team should be better under Helton. He’s talked about flexibility with his offense and whether it’s Chryst or JG, we should be improved at QB. At the least I expect better play calling with improved discipline and execution. No more shotgun goal-line plays and procedure penalties on first and goal.

We get past W.V. and the path is clear to a 3-0 match up at home against the Gators. A team that in ‘17 took a last second play at home to secure a W. Sure, we lose to UGA, Auburn, Bama, and maybe USCjr, but I don’t see Pruitt being a coach that allows Tennessee to lose to UK, Charlotte, Missouri (with Dooley), or Vandy.

That’s how we get to 8 wins.

We have talent. Jones just couldn't coach or develop it...And strength and conditioning were severely lacking. I believe CJP is correcting all of the above, and that this team is capable of 7 or 8 regular season W's

Reactions: Negan
The great Tennessee football tradition has taken a big hit the last 10 or so years, but the Vols are going to rise up out of the ashes to be great once again
Go Vols

View attachment 162626

Yes we took a beating the past ten seasons but on the bright side, next time we have a successful coach who has gotten complacent, we may be a little more patient with him or her. The alternative could be worse

VN Store

Back