Gator fans smell like **** thread

I still marvel at many of the posters here who didn’t want Mullen based on the ridiculous premise that he never accomplished much at Miss St. SMH

I can see how mediocre success can be a reason to not want a coach.

Not sure how it can be viewed as a reason to hire the coach.

If there are any concerns about Mullen, they are as follows. None of them involve X's and O's

1. Cam Newton (Remember MSU was in the running for him offering to pay $$$)
2. Would he recruit at high enough level to be a consistent Top 5 team?
3. His handling of Jeffrey Simmons situation. That was a disgrace
4. He comes off a little shady (How come Leo Lewis was offered $$$ to go to Ole Miss but he went to MSU for Free? His Director of Recruiting allegedly had affair with MSU baseball coach, disciple of that awful human being Urban Meyer)

I can see how mediocre success can be a reason to not want a coach.

Not sure how it can be viewed as a reason to hire the coach.

Because what he did was no mediocre considering where he was coaching. Do you really believe Miss St is on par with the likes of Tennessee, UGA, UF, Auburn, Bama, and LSU when it comes to resources and the ability to recruit?

I don't know that you can say he "finally had a heck of a year last year", when a few years ago when he had Dak Prescott he had Miss St at #1 for a little while.
You are right and I should have mentioned that as well. He built a Hell of a foundation at MSU, but in my opinion he’s not going to do it at Florida. I think it will work out the same way Muschamp did at Florida. They are too impatient. And with his style of coaching this isn’t going to be a one or two year rebuild for them. I think after finishing another mediocre year 3 at Florida he will be gone, and they will be doing this process all over again.I think Tn will only get better and better with Pruitt and you we will immediately be able to spot the progress with him in year 1. By year 3 I think we will be competing at the national stage. I think His classes (even if not ranked as high as Butch’s classes) will be better because he has a proven system that has worked time and time again with players that fit his mold. Mullen( like Butch) succeed at smaller schools with lower expectations. The expectations at Florida are anything but Low, and he will not live up to them, and Gator fans will be calling for his head sooner rather then later.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
Because what he did was no mediocre considering where he was coaching. Do you really believe Miss St is on par with the likes of Tennessee, UGA, UF, Auburn, Bama, and LSU when it comes to resources and the ability to recruit?
Exactly, it’s not. A first year head coach is supposed to bring excitement and that usually results a spark in recruiting. Look where they are!! He has all the resources he needs out there and to this point isn’t getting it done. He’s Butch 2.0 he excels at smaller schools, but will crumble with the new High expectations.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
Exactly, it’s not. A first year head coach is supposed to bring excitement and that usually results a spark in recruiting. Look where they are!! He has all the resources he needs out there and to this point isn’t getting it done. He’s Butch 2.0 he excels at smaller schools, but will crumble with the new High expectations.

You missed my point entirely. Mullen got results at a garbage dump program like Miss St, and because of that he will crush it at UF where he will have unlimited resources to win.

No, but just because he had a winning record overall at Miss St isn't proof that he's going to light it up at a bigger university.

He may do well, he may not.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
I still marvel at many of the posters here who didn’t want Mullen based on the ridiculous premise that he never accomplished much at Miss St. SMH

Kind of a mundane thing to “marvel” about...similar to him as a coach. Feel more vindicated every day (sometimes every HOUR) over not being impressed with him as a candidate.

No, but just because he had a winning record overall at Miss St isn't proof that he's going to light it up at a bigger university.

Sucks at recruiting and he’s a goofy little goober...what’s not to like? 😜

Reactions: TGFHeupel16

Then why was he hired at a top 5 job program if what he did was not that impressive?

He had more that just a winning record. Had them ranked #1 a couple of years ago - that just doesn’t happen at Miss St, and accomplished more at State than any coach in their history. 7 straight bowl games with a 5-2 record. Dude can coach

The clip from his presser about no weapons policy was tough to watch. Yikes

Reactions: Booker512
If Pruitt can beat Mullen this year in Knoxville, then I might agree @PruitthasLanded16 but until that moment I still think Mullen was the better hire.

You can't make that call after one game.

Spurrier's first UF squad got destroyed in Knoxville. He turned out to be a decent coach for us.

Zook's 2002 team beat UT soundly in his first trip to Knoxville, then dropped the next two.

FYP

Josh Dobbs also had us ranked in the top 10 for a short time. I'm not saying Dan Mullen is as bad as Butch because I don't believe he is, but I'm not ready to crown him the next Spurrier at UF either because I don't believe he's elite. I think he's slightly above mediocre until he proves otherwise, which he never did at MSST.
I hope you’re right.

Then why was he hired at a top 5 job program if what he did was not that impressive?
If that's the route you want to go then why did it take 9 years? He wasn't Florida's first choice. Why didn't Florida go after him a few years ago when Muschamp left? Why did they pursue other coaches before they approached Mullen? Why didn't the multitude of prestigious football schools that have had an opening offer him big bucks to take their job in the past 9 years?

7 straight bowl games with a 5-2 record.
In the era where there's so many bowls games that teams with losing records get to go.

You can't make that call after one game.

Spurrier's first UF squad got destroyed in Knoxville. He turned out to be a decent coach for us.

Zook's 2002 team beat UT soundly in his first trip to Knoxville, then dropped the next two.

I agree. For an honest analysis it does take more than one game, but I think both teams are evenly matched coming off similarly poor seasons. If Pruitt were to get the home win I might start believing he was the right hire. For now, I think we would have been better off with Mullen.

I agree. For an honest analysis it does take more than one game, but I think both teams are evenly matched coming off similarly poor seasons. If Pruitt were to get the home win I might start believing he was the right hire. For now, I think we would have been better off with Mullen.

I wonder what the posts would look like here if UT hired a guy with 9 years HC experience, who led a bottom feeder program to a #1 ranking, left that bottom feeder program as its all-time winningest coach....while UF hired what many considered to be Muschamp 2.0 (former coordinator with no HC experience with a reputation for being a good recruiter).

I guess you play the hand you’re dealt.

Dan Mullen is a tremendous football coach and knows offense. If absolutely nothing else, he'll have Florida scoring points again.

Are some of his photo ops cheesy as hell? Sure, but I get it. He's never been known as a tremendous recruiter in the past and he's basically doing whatever he thinks he has to in order to lure recruits to Gainesville. I think it looks a little funny to see a 40 something year old man posing in Jordan's and pointing at (uhh he doesn't have any..) grills with a couple 18 year old recruits. But you know what? Coaches do all kinds of silly things to get kids on campus. We just don't hear about most of them. I've heard stories of Saban sleeping on parents floors to get the kids he wants. They're salesmen.

Will he be the next Spurrier or Meyer for them? Time will tell. But Mullen will do fine at Florida.

..and let's be honest with ourselves. Nothing will ever compare to Butch and his "Champions of Life" crap. I still cringe to think of some of the things that man said through the years.

VN Store

Back