The Thread Where We Debate About Healthcare in America

Vol_Doc

Vol in "The Ville"
How about a dedicated thread on the topic, rather than side discussions in other threads? I'll let some other folks get it started. Will take a while to compile my thoughts on the subject.

People used to be able to afford to go to the doctor. What changed?

One problem is that being a physician has become a career path to pursue extreme wealth.

Historically, medicine has been a career of benevolence.
Not to say there aren’t doctors who pursue medicine because of pure motives. There are.

For the better part of this country’s history the Christian church funded hospitals. As long as profit is the driving factor nothing will be fixed.

Last edited:
there was an article in another thread about how the increase in health care coverage hadn't seen the drop in deaths per year it "should have". also brought up the relation between the deaths and the opioid problem. would be fitting for this thread.

Health care and insurance costs were out of control way before Obama and still are but now that Obama tried to do something good without the help of the GOP and GOP states the GOP and idiots that live in the GOP states are wanting to blame him for a problem that was there before he was even president. We were unable to progress to affordable healthcare because of idiots wanting to blame someone and nothing else. What has the GOP done to address the problem?

Health care and insurance costs were out of control way before Obama and still are but now that Obama tried to do something good without the help of the GOP and GOP states the GOP and idiots that live in the GOP states are wanting to blame him for a problem that was there before he was even president. We were unable to progress to affordable healthcare because of idiots wanting to blame someone and nothing else. What has the GOP done to address the problem?

Obama threw gasoline on the fire

and since I recently resigned up and saw the costs, and had compared to older costs I will post what I pay and paid.

2013 pre-mandate: $233 month total cost, company covered 183 leaving me with 50 to
pay myself.
2018: $743 a month total cost, company covers 500, leaving me with 243.

2018 was actually the first time I have seen my costs drop (a whole 15 bucks), so 2017 was the most expensive I have paid at 258 a month. same plan, the whole time. did switch providers after the mandate but luckily it was the earlier providers parent company.

Nothing.

...they also didn't take a giant dump on the problem by creating a massive program that has no chance of working, wrecked the insurance market and amounts to a tax increase.

That is all you had to say that is fact. The rest is opinion. If you want to see things improve, changes need to be made. Replacing obamacare would be a start but with what and how? Repealing does nothing to address the problem of high healthcare costs.

Reactions: marvin616

He didn't do anything good with heath care. He set this whole Robin Hood racket up hoping that Dems would win the white house in 2016. Then they would be able to push on over to universal healthcare.

Explain to me how 110% increase in insurance premiums is helping me?

Obama cut a deal with the insurance companies to steal from the middle class and give to the poor, its that simple. The architect of the plan stated it very well when he said Obama bamboozled America. Republicans are no better. This should no longer be a political issue. Let the insurance companies work it out.

Reactions: 3 people
That is all you had to say that is fact. The rest is opinion. If you want to see things improve, changes need to be made. Replacing obamacare would be a start but with what and how? Repealing does nothing to address the problem of high healthcare costs.

Absolutely it's opinion. But it's the opinion of a guy that understands how insurance companies work and that the ACA creates an untenable marketplace for companies to survive in and those that do have to jack up premiums. This just want hard to see coming.

Reactions: 1 person
As a conservative leaning person, it pains me to see Republicans not look at the problem and see what has worked in many other countries. I've learned a lot as I'm pursuing my Master in Health Admin.

Right leaning people cry out about socialized healthcare but doesn't realize people like Teddy Roosevelt attempted it back in the early 1900s. If our GDP is almost 20% from healthcare while others are about half or lower, there is an issue of profit being built in and we need to do something about it. Insurance companies are corporations with one bottom line which is profit. The government should require insurance to be non profit or become a single payer system.

Obama tried to do something good, that’s why it required lying to the American public and ramming it through

as a conservative leaning person, it pains me to see republicans not look at the problem and see what has worked in many other countries. I've learned a lot as i'm pursuing my master in health admin.

Right leaning people cry out about socialized healthcare but doesn't realize people like teddy roosevelt attempted it back in the early 1900s. If our gdp is almost 20% from healthcare while others are about half or lower, there is an issue of profit being built in and we need to do something about it. Insurance companies are corporations with one bottom line which is profit. The government should require insurance to be non profit or become a single payer system.

😵

VN Store

Back