Rogers named Extra Inning Softball National player of the year

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Reactions: 6 people
Same caliber of pitcher as Megan Rhodes & the Renfroe sisters, IMO. Remarkable 66:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio this year and allowed only 1 home run in 178 innings.

During their last 2 years of HS, Gabby Sprang averaged 1 walk every 3 innings and Caylan Arnold 1 every 4. Rogers walked only 16 batters in her last 2 seasons (382 innings), or 1 every 24 innings.

Reactions: 2 people
In high school she looks like the real deal able to throw strikes and a large strikeout total. If she can compete at the college level and Gabby finds some kind of game were really looking good in the pitching category for the first time in a very long time. We'll have the depth we need which has been missing.

great news for sure...badly needed to compete for championships...now, if we could just get one more...:eek:lol:...

GO LADY VOLS!

I think that Gabby is the key to this year. Would not surprise me for her to fall either way off the fence but I sure hope she comes back from that dreadful freshman year.

I felt bad for Gabby. Most heralded her as a pitching superstar and I fell for that propaganda knowing that she would require development and acclimation. I see the same thing happening again this year with new signees. I suppose it is what people do to make themselves comfortable with the new players. Kind of like the person bragging on the new expensive car they just bought but cannot easily afford.

A member of three consecutive Tennessee state championship teams in 2003, 2004 and 2005 that posted a combined 130-15 overall mark. She recorded more than 1,000 career strikeouts from the circle and never tasted defeat as a high school hurler.Twice chosen as the Gatorade State Player of the Year in Tennessee and as a two-time choice as the Mid-State Player of the Year... Chosen by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association (TSWA) to its 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 Class A all-state team....also helped guide her Nashville Nighthawks summer team to a 5-0 mark in pool play in 2004 in Colorado.

That's from the bio of Danielle Pieroni on the UT softball website. One of the best high school players ever in Tennessee. You can probably find similar high school accolades for Sprang and Hosfield. It doesn't always translate to the SEC.

I'm with the rest of you guys. I hope Rogers can come in and be the hammer right away....but believe it when you see it against the SEC.

In high school she looks like the real deal able to throw strikes and a large strikeout total. If she can compete at the college level and Gabby finds some kind of game were really looking good in the pitching category for the first time in a very long time. We'll have the depth we need which has been missing.

Not to throw water on this, but she played in A class (lowest in TN) from 9-11th, then AA class in 12th. Similar to Gabby in HS (lower level class). She threw nothing but riseball's in the state tourney, which was effective enough.

They wont need her next year, which will give her a year to adjust.

She plays for Weekly's TB team, and he will only pitch her a few innings at a time, so I'm guessing this instructions from "above". :lolabove:

Gabby has to be able to pitch with control. She couldn't find the plate last season walk after walk. First time I ever seen a pitcher throw a wild pitch trying to give an intentional walk resulting in the winning run scoring from third. Her whole season comes down to control if it is not there she want be with the team much longer. She has to be able to pitch without walking five or six batter every seven innings.

Reactions: 1 person
Gabby is gone from UT, Matty had her tonsils removed and Caylan is resting a sore back. So Ashley better be ready because she will see a lot of action starting with game 1 in the fall. She may not be lights out at first but will provide much needed help for Matty and Caylan.

Gabby is gone from UT, Matty had her tonsils removed and Caylan is resting a sore back. So Ashley better be ready because she will see a lot of action starting with game 1 in the fall. She may not be lights out at first but will provide much needed help for Matty and Caylan.

From your name you seem to know something we don't know or what? If Gabby is gone I really don't blame her because the screwed up pitching help she got from the coaches really was pitiful. Can you clarify your quote?:loco:

Glad to hear Matty got her tonsils out and hope CaylanÂ’s back heals. I was hoping Gabby would get it together over the off season and be efficient next. Where did she go?

From your name you seem to know something we don't know or what? If Gabby is gone I really don't blame her because the screwed up pitching help she got from the coaches really was pitiful. Can you clarify your quote?:loco:

She left, has not yet picked a new school or decided if she's going to continue playing.

She has the yips in games. Worked with coaches and a sports psychologist to try to overcome it. Couldn't. She was unhittable daily in practice, even after she struggled in games. Her bullpen sessions in practice and games were every bit those that you would expect of a top pitching recruit in the country. But when the lights came on and she was in the circle, she bounced one out of every three pitches. I've been in sports a long time, and I've never seen just coaching cause or cure the yips. That's a mental deal.

Thanks DP. I hope she does well on or off the field. I am sure that coaching will not cure the yips. I assume the big stage may have been some of the problem and the smaller stages until college did not. God bless her!

She left, has not yet picked a new school or decided if she's going to continue playing.

She has the yips in games. Worked with coaches and a sports psychologist to try to overcome it. Couldn't. She was unhittable daily in practice, even after she struggled in games. Her bullpen sessions in practice and games were every bit those that you would expect of a top pitching recruit in the country. But when the lights came on and she was in the circle, she bounced one out of every three pitches. I've been in sports a long time, and I've never seen just coaching cause or cure the yips. That's a mental deal.

Man, I hate that for her and UT. I wish she'd give it more time, but there's so much I don't know about the situation. Just seems like if everybody would be patient and give her time she'd work thru it. It also seems this challenge and victory over it could affect more than just
softball.

without taking away from Gabby's decision, but in response to DeerPark's comment there are other sports where the mental stress defeats the physical ability. Many years back the LVs had a reserve that literally could not make a fast-break open layup and as a spectator it was painful to watch. Defense, passing not the problem, but not shooting. She became and is successful now.

Well same as last season two pitchers and a freshman that needs to be terrific from day one. I know Rogers has always had control but moving to this level from where she has played will certainly be a challenge.
Good luck to Gabby wish she had hung around for another season sometimes maturity can solve mental problems like she had last season.

Well same as last season two pitchers and a freshman that needs to be terrific from day one. I know Rogers has always had control but moving to this level from where she has played will certainly be a challenge.
Good luck to Gabby wish she had hung around for another season sometimes maturity can solve mental problems like she had last season.

Seems we have had some bad luck with pitchers for several years. This could be true with other places as well I we just don't know it . I hope Gabby finds herself and agree if she could have hung on another year the light bulb may have come on. Maybe she and her parents gave up on us . I don't know if we gave up on her or not but something happened somewhere or somehow. Seems to be a great young lady if she was not happy she did the best for herself! JMHO

There was no point during the season that she or her parents were unhappy with the coaching she received at Tennessee.

Great to hear and I as well as most of the LV softball followers wish her nothing but the best! I will keep up with her progress the best I can and hope she can beat OU every time they play. :clapping:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back