Quarterback play

Vol-in-Atlanta

I couldn't agree more with the quote from Pruitt on QB play. “I don’t think it matters about athletic ability, about arm strength. I think it matters about how you can get the other 10 guys on the team to play up to the highest level and play together. I think that’s the most important thing for a quarterback.”

That's why Peyton is a legend. Hope someone can step up.

Reactions: 6 people
I think you meant to say a lack of leadership period which had the trickle down effect on the rest of the team including QB.

Reactions: 5 people
I think you meant to say a lack of leadership period which had the trickle down effect on the rest of the team including QB.

You might say, we didn't have enough guys with leadership reps.

(Couldn't resist.)

Reactions: 9 people
I couldn't agree more with the quote from Pruitt on QB play. “I don’t think it matters about athletic ability, about arm strength. I think it matters about how you can get the other 10 guys on the team to play up to the highest level and play together. I think that’s the most important thing for a quarterback.”

That's why Peyton is a legend. Hope someone can step up.

He watched greg mcelroy from the sideline.

I don't think that there is any doubt that the other 10 guys on the field have to have a lot of confidence in the QB.

That's a lot of the reason I believe QB "controversies," two QB systems, etc. are so bad for most teams. When you have part of the offense in one guy's camp and part in another's, it's going to be a issue for the team most of the time.

I have suspected that was part of the problem for UT in 2017. I don't think any of the QBs could get the whole offense pulling in the same direction. I also believe Jones' decisions and handling of the siuation exacerbated the issue.

Lets see who shows up a leader for spring ball. Fall camp. A lot of chaos last year. Although JG didn't show out on the field like we all would have loved, I saw him get absolutely pummeled by better SEC teams physically and he'd pop up everytime and cheer on his Oline and other teamates.

No idea if JG is QB1 this year. Maybe Chyst the new Grad Transfer. Who knows. But to call JG not a leader purely after watching games on TV last year with no knowledge of the locker room is a bit much, IMO

Reactions: 7 people
JG isn't a leader, its all about him.

Couldn’t agree less. Once he got past his petulant, childish behavior vs GaTech, which he seemed to do in short order, he sure appeared to be a good teammate and leader....especially after he became the starter.

Recall that we had 2 players publicly state in the post game presser after the Vandy disgraceful beatdown, that 2017 was unacceptable, would never happen again and that players can either go aboard turning things around and making Tennessee football great again, or get out.....Trey Smith, and Jarrett Guarantano.

Reactions: 12 people
I suspect Pruitt was speaking a little truth to the numbers-crunching press corps obsessed with star ratings.

Couldn’t agree less. Once he got past his petulant, childish behavior vs GaTech, which he seemed to do in short order, he sure appeared to be a good teammate and leader....especially after he became the starter.

Recall that we had 2 players publicly state in the post game presser after the Vandy disgraceful beatdown, that 2017 was unacceptable, would never happen again and that players can either go aboard turning things around and making Tennessee football great again, or get out.....Trey Smith, and Jarrett Guarantano.

The GT “sideline demeanor” thing was so overblown. Herbie sheep ate it up. Same dude that wanted Gaulden exorcised while canonizing Baker Mayfield. JG was and is COMPETITIVE and wanted on the field! If he was the baby that we’re painting in this board, he would have pulled a Preston Williams...hell, a Blake Barnett...instead of toughing it out for the rest of a crap season. Maybe we eventually find out his QB skills are left wanting (I doubt that), but there’s nothing to not like about his personality.

Reactions: 6 people
Dobbs made Jones system better than it was. Look back on how many times Josh saved a play with his legs...JG was branded as the next Josh Dobbs but looked more like Justin Worley. Jennings injury was the nail in the coffin.

Reactions: 4 people
1) I felt like JG got better as the season went on but the OL imploded much faster than his learning curve.

2) The scheme last year wasn't very Pass-Centric and it showed.

3) Leadership wise, I thought JG did some growing up as the season progressed but he still has a ways to go.

4) I think JG has a slight edge over Chryst, especially since Chryst won't arrive on campus until after May. If Chryst showed up for Spring Practice, then it would be dead even. JG probably has better arm strength too.

Reactions: 2 people
Wait a minute, I am confused. i thought football was an individual sport? How many times have I seen statements like, well Peyton didnt beat Florida? So the offense depends on 10 other guys? Wow who would have thunk it?

I think Pruitt is lowering expectations for the QB spot since we really don’t have a proven one yet... maybe Geronimo has grown up... Chryst May have the intangibles tho, too bad he’s not going thru spring ball.

I think Pruitt is lowering expectations for the QB spot since we really don’t have a proven one yet... maybe Geronimo has grown up... Chryst May have the intangibles tho, too bad he’s not going thru spring ball.

You would think a fan would have the respect to learn to spell their own players names, but maybe that's just the winning programs.

Does anybody know why Dormady bailed so quickly?

Poor season last year, injured shoulder which required surgery, wouldn’t be ready/able to compete in spring practice for a new head coach/staff, decided it was in his best interest to move on.....after 3 full years in the program.

VN Store

Back