Yahoo Sports Exclusive regarding FBI Case in College Basketball

Hoops corruption case docs list players involved, payment amounts

No mention of UT, but mentions Kentucky, Alabama, LSU and Texas (although not while Barnes was there).

While three criminal cases tied to the investigation may take years to play out, the documents viewed by Yahoo revealed the extent of the potential NCAA ramifications from the case. The documents show an underground recruiting operation that could create NCAA rules issues – both current and retroactive – for at least 20 Division I basketball programs and more than 25 players.

The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. (NCAA officials declined a request for comment.) There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollar

An ASM balance sheet in the hands of federal investigators shows accounts through Dec. 31, 2015, with the subheading, “Loan to Players.” It listed several who were in high school or college as receiving four-figure and five-figure payments from ASM Sports. Among the largest listed loans:

Dennis Smith, who would go on to play at North Carolina State in 2016-17, received $43,500 according to the documents. Another document headed “Pina,” for ASM agent Stephen Pina, says Smith received a total of $73,500 in loans, and includes notes about “options to recoup the money” when Smith did not sign with ASM.
Isaiah Whitehead, at the time a freshman at Seton Hall, received $26,136 according to the documents. The “Pina” document says Whitehead received $37,657 and was “setting up payment plan.” Whitehead signed with ASM but later left the agency for Roc Nation.
Tim Quarterman, at the time a junior at LSU, received at least $16,000 according to the balance sheet.
Diamond Stone, at the time a freshman at Maryland, received $14,303 according to the documents.
A listing that refers to “BAM” for $12,000 is later identified in the documents as Edrice “Bam” Adebayo, who would go on to play at Kentucky in 2016-17. He did not sign with ASM. There’s a later reference to Adebayo that says he received $36,500. “Bad loan,” reads the document.
Markelle Fultz, who would go on to play at Washington and become the No. 1 pick in the 2017 draft, received $10,000 according to the documents. He did not sign with ASM.

Nothing is going to happen to any of these schools over this except maybe vacating wins.

I mean some players took money from an agency. That's not gonna really impact schools. What am I missing here?

Reactions: Godfatha and MTJoe
Nothing is going to happen to any of these schools over this except maybe vacating wins.

I mean some players took money from an agency. That's not gonna really impact schools. What am I missing here?

Anytime the FBI is involved it's a big deal. I think you could see some coaches be taken down as a result of this if any of them knew it was going on.

Reactions: 3 people
Also add Kevin Knox and Colin Sexton to that list. It is about to go down. Glad no mention of Tennessee though. Bruin can step back from that cliff now.

Reactions: 1 person
Anytime the FBI is involved it's a big deal. I think you could see some coaches be taken down as a result of this if any of them knew it was going on.

That's harder to prove.

I guess in some of these cases the assistant coaches were filtering money down to the players. That could be what gets the head coaches but I just don't see much happening here.

My guess is they will nail a couple of head coaches at non blue blood schools. Some players are ruled ineligible - most of which are gone already or will leave this spring anyway.

And teams like UNC, Duke go relatively untouched.

Also add Kevin Knox and Colin Sexton to that list. It is about to go down. Glad no mention of Tennessee though. Bruin can step back from that cliff now.

I know, man. I am so nervous Tyndall had gotten us into something. This is still only the first leak, so I'm not 100% confident we're in the clear yet.

That's harder to prove.

I guess in some of these cases the assistant coaches were filtering money down to the players. That could be what gets the head coaches but I just don't see much happening here.

My guess is they will nail a couple of head coaches at non blue blood schools. Some players are ruled ineligible - most of which are gone already or will leave this spring anyway.

And teams like UNC, Duke go relatively untouched.

It is definitely difficult to prove, but the FBI has tapped over 4000 calls in this investigation so I'm sure some coaches will be taken down. Pitino was undone by the actions of his assistants and his negligence regarding what they were doing. Something similar could happen here.

Personally I think to many teams are in this report to penalize anyone really harsh . Imo we might see some assistants fired but I doubt anything serious

I know, man. I am so nervous Tyndall had gotten us into something. This is still only the first leak, so I'm not 100% confident we're in the clear yet.

Honestly, the NCAA would love to have a team like us to nail. They will make an example out of Auburn if they can. They are gonna do whatever they can to protect the blue bloods and crush the second tier programs to appear strong.

It means all of these players are/were ineligible. The previous players could result in vacated wins. The current players are not eligible to compete in the NCAA. Each school with current players will have to make a quick decision to either sit the player, make them pay the money back, or both for this season. It should be interesting. Some of the cases are not very large sums of money (even just meals). In those cases, I could see the schools making the players pay the money back and sit while they arrange it. On the larger sums, those players should be ineligible the rest of the season. With just this info, I don't see any coaches, outside of IZZO (who actual had documented meetings with this agent), getting in any real trouble, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. All of this is from a single document from a single person that was arrested. There will be more and more and more to come.

It is definitely difficult to prove, but the FBI has tapped over 4000 calls in this investigation so I'm sure some coaches will be taken down. Pitino was undone by the actions of his assistants and his negligence regarding what they were doing. Something similar could happen here.

NO, Pitino was taken down because he is a horrible human being that karma finally landed upon.

UT's football coaching since Coach Fulmer has really suffered.

If you look at the list of BB coaches that have gone through KY, what a group ............ of course, they have gotten 3 championships out of them so that makes it all better.

There are certainly going to be many more names out there... because players from auburn are mysteriously absent from this list....

Reactions: 2 people
If you’re one of the schools you’d be insane to keep playing them

Too bad this came after after we played Bama

With the effort Tennessee gave that night Bama could have played 3 walk-ons and a couple of guys out of the student section and still won by double digits...but I get your point we still may have to play them in the SECT.

Reactions: 3 people
There are names on that list not mentioned in the article including Nerlens Noel and several former Villanova players.

VN Store

Back