Why were the Superbowl ratings so low?

"NFL disrespects the flag and anthem?"

Im guessing yall have no idea why the players knelt, and just want the players to play so you can forget about your real life problems, (like your wife cheating on you with Cleetus) and keep sipping on you favorite mountain due beverage ey?

Reactions: 6 people
I think Pats fatigue is the biggest reason.

and millions of others.
I do not watch pro football anymore.
Pro players are not respecting our country and they are making millions off the public.
They don`t make **** off of me and my family.
My country is a lot more important to me than a stupid football game.

Oh ffs.

Get off your f'n high horse.

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 2 people
Thanks huff. These yahoos thinking the NFL ratings suck are delusional. They still dwarf anything on TV. It's true the numbers are down but the numbers don't take into account streaming. Plus, the numbers are down from '15 which was the all-time high due to daily fantasy leagues.

It's amazing how ignorant people are on this.

The Pro Bowl's ratings were higher than all but about 5-6 college football games this year...that includest the playoff games and NC. The freakin Pro Bowl...a game no one cares about.

The overration to ratings drop is hilarious.

"NFL disrespects the flag and anthem?"

Im guessing yall have no idea why the players knelt, and just want the players to play so you can forget about your real life problems, (like your wife cheating on you with Cleetus) and keep sipping on you favorite mountain due beverage ey?
What a stupid post

Reactions: 1 person
It's amazing how ignorant people are on this.

The Pro Bowl's ratings were higher than all but about 5-6 college football games this year...that includest the playoff games and NC. The freakin Pro Bowl...a game no one cares about.

The overration to ratings drop is hilarious.
Its not ignorance. Sure nfl ratings are still higher than most think, however they are dropping...bad. the nfl is concerned. Contracts and projected earns are based on those high ratings ( partially) so saying its higher than everything else so its ok is ignorance on your part. An 18% drop in 2 years would concern any business.

Its not ignorance. Sure nfl ratings are still higher than most think, however they are dropping...bad. the nfl is concerned. Contracts and projected earns are based on those high ratings ( partially) so saying its higher than everything else so its ok is ignorance on your part. An 18% drop in 2 years would concern any business.

Literally everybody on TV is concerned. Cord-cutting is the biggest factor.

What huff said.

Making this out to be some NFL specific problem or that it's even worse for them is silly, and they're doing so bad Fox just shelled out MORE to do Thursday night games. And of course they are concerned, but the situation isn't even remotely as dire as the gloom and doomers are making it out to be.

Yeah, they clearly are in trouble....

Last edited:
What a stupid post

No more stupid than the people that turn what a vast minority of players are doing into "the NFL disrespects the flag/country/military". Especially the military part; the NFL has done far more for the military than all the whiny, faux-outraged people combined.

Literally everybody on TV is concerned. Cord-cutting is the biggest factor.

I get that. However, most surveys conduct are showing the protest as a leading cause to why people are tuning the nfl out and the nfl is taking notice.

Just look at the superbowl, all the players standing hand over heart, MOH recipients for the coin toss and all the capts being reminded to clap for them. We gonna act like all that is just by accident?

Add that to the fact that the product on the field largely sucks. There were weeks where only one ot two games featured teams with winnning records.

All this added together and the nfl is taking a pretty big hit. We can act like its just cord cutters though.

No more stupid than the people that turn what a vast minority of players are doing into "the NFL disrespects the flag/country/military". Especially the military part; the NFL has done far more for the military than all the whiny, faux-outraged people combined.

You are aware that the nfl is paid my the us government to do alot of the things it does for the military right?

You are aware that the nfl is paid my the us government to do alot of the things it does for the military right?

You’re aware they gave a lot of the money back, right? Not to mention, even factoring that in they still do way more than the faux outrage crowd through charities for military families.

Last edited:
I get that. However, most surveys conduct are showing the protest as a leading cause to why people are tuning the nfl out and the nfl is taking notice.

Just look at the superbowl, all the players standing hand over heart, MOH recipients for the coin toss and all the capts being reminded to clap for them. We gonna act like all that is just by accident?

Add that to the fact that the product on the field largely sucks. There were weeks where only one ot two games featured teams with winnning records.

All this added together and the nfl is taking a pretty big hit. We can act like its just cord cutters though.

And you can keep acting like the cord cutting isn’t way more of an issue than the anthem sh**.

As far as the players, how many from each team did anything during the season? It was a minority of players doing anything and numbnuts are acting like it’s the whole damn NFL.

You’re aware they gave a lot of the money back, right? Not to mention, even factoring that in they still do way more than the faux outrage crowd through charities for military families.

It doesnt matter, people are free to dislike them for whatever reason they choose and people are saying the protest is a large reason why they arr tuning it out.
Its cool if you want to be mad at those people. I really haven't seen any "faux outrage" unless you call not watching it outrage. Either way, its a factor, saying otherwise is silly.

And you can keep acting like the cord cutting isn’t way more of an issue than the anthem sh**.

As far as the players, how many from each team did anything during the season? It was a minority of players doing anything and numbnuts are acting like it’s the whole damn NFL.

Lol, the cursing is a great way to get your point across. It doesnt matter if its a minority. In most professions, the minority sometimes reflects a negative image of the majority. Doesnt matter if we like it or not, its the way it is.

Surveys of people's habits aren't exactly reliable. I know the butthurt over the kneelers is a factor, but it's not the biggest factor. Cable subscribers were down 4% last year and they've been down every year since 2012.

Cable TV industry subscribers losses: CHART - Business Insider

None of which is to say that the NFL didn't take another ratings hit, although it is perhaps worth noting that the league's 9% decline in its overall deliveries matches the 9% season-to-date drop in broadcast prime. Through Week 13 of the 2017–18 TV season, the Big Four nets [ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox] were collectively averaging a meager 6.3 million total viewers per night, which marks a shortfall of around 650,000 viewers when compared to the year-ago period. Meanwhile, the national games that kick off at 4:20 p.m. ET on CBS and Fox scared up three-and-a-half times the number of viewers who tuned into the broadcast nets between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.

While I'd sooner eat off the floor of a subway car than re-litigate the Colin Kaepernick tiff, it's worth exploring some of the root causes behind football's latest ratings shakeup. Truncated by one game, NBC's Sunday Night Football closed out the season down 11% in total viewers and off 10% in household ratings, although a rapid late-season deceleration would appear to have contributed to the package's double-digit declines. (Through Week 11, SNF was down 6% in both metrics.) Two things sort of jump out at me about SNF: 1) the average margin of victory for the 18 broadcasts was 12.9 points per game, the highest since 2014, and 10 of those games were decided by two touchdowns or better; and 2) over the course of the season, NBC and the NFL didn't exercise the flex scheduling option even once. The latter speaks to the fact that there weren't an awful lot of more attractive options on the table; as much as the Dec. 17 Dallas-Oakland game was effectively meaningless, CBS had protected the afternoon Pats-Steelers showdown against the flex. (Unsurprisingly, the reprise of last season's AFC Championship game was CBS's top ‘ask' when the NFL was putting the 2017 schedule together. As such, the network wasn't about to punt it over to NBC prime.) For all that, the lack of any flex action was a bit jarring; last season, two far more attractive games were slotted into SNF from the Sunday afternoon schedule, while 2015 gave rise to no fewer than four prime-time flexes.

Also not helping matters: Aaron Rodgers' collarbone, an historically lousy New York Giants squad and a Dallas offense that may charitably be characterized as inept. While the underperforming Cowboys remained the NFL's most-watched, highest-rated franchise in national TV windows with an average draw of 21.6 million viewers and an 11.9 household rating, those numbers were down 11% versus last season's gaudy deliveries (24.4 million/13.4 HH). Green Bay's run of bum luck helped contribute to a 9% year-over-year decline for the Pack, while the unwatchable G-Men saw their national ratings fall 11%.

Cowboys were the team that didn't kneel and their ratings were down.

Edit: the article above is from SI, didn't mean to make it look like it came from BI. BI is where I got the subscribership data

I'd say Patriots fatigue had something to do with it

That combined with the Eagles being a pretty big underdog and most assuming they wouldn't win probably turned many off.

I can see people not wanting to watch thinking the Pats were going to raise another trophy. I used to not watch WS back in the late 90s when the Yankees would make the WS pretty much every year because I assumed they'd win and I didn't want to see it.

It doesnt matter, people are free to dislike them for whatever reason they choose and people are saying the protest is a large reason why they arr tuning it out.
Its cool if you want to be mad at those people. I really haven't seen any "faux outrage" unless you call not watching it outrage. Either way, its a factor, saying otherwise is silly.

Then look harder; people that make videos where they burn tickets and jerseys and act like it's the worst thing ever certainly fall under that label.

Lol, the cursing is a great way to get your point across. It doesnt matter if its a minority. In most professions, the minority sometimes reflects a negative image of the majority. Doesnt matter if we like it or not, its the way it is.

and millions of others.
I do not watch pro football anymore.
Pro players are not respecting our country and they are making millions off the public.
They don`t make **** off of me and my family.
My country is a lot more important to me than a stupid football game.

I guess it's legit when this guy used cursing to "get his point across", huh? Also, I call this faux outrage. I seriously doubt this guy got so angry about it until Rush Limbaugh told him to.

Last edited:
Surveys of people's habits aren't exactly reliable. I know the butthurt over the kneelers is a factor, but it's not the biggest factor. Cable subscribers were down 4% last year and they've been down every year since 2012.

Cable TV industry subscribers losses: CHART - Business Insider

Cowboys were the team that didn't kneel and their ratings were down.

Edit: the article above is from SI, didn't mean to make it look like it came from BI. BI is where I got the subscribership data

So your saying its a combination of things? Great we agree, i said that a long time ago.

I guess it's legit when this guy used cursing to "get his point across", huh? Also, I call this faux outrage. I seriously doubt this guy got so angry about it until Rush Limbaugh told him to.
Who is outraged? And why are you asking me about his cursing when i wasnt talking to him? My guess is you are assuming im okay with it because we possibly share the said view? If thats the case you're wrong.

VN Store

Back