Fulmer

I remember a story a friend of mine told me about a player from the Fulmer days. My friend is good buddies with this former player to this day.

Anyway, this player came from a big family of die hard bama supporters. He had an offer from bama and it was a lock that he would be going there. Fulmer had an in home visit scheduled with him and despite him and his family viewing it as waste of time, Fulmer came anyway.

Fulmer made the visit for dinner with the player and his family. He even ended up helping the mother with the dishes after the meal. When he left, the family was blown away. The mother said, "I don't care if it is Tennessee, you are going to play for that gentleman."

And he did.

Reactions: 3 people
Fulmer as AD = breath of fresh air.

About time we have a Tennessee man that gives his all leading the way.

Someone that really cares to get UT back. Not just his job, but his way of life.

Reactions: 2 people
He's only allowed to recruit until CJP's staff is complete. Right?

Yes. But people here tend to ignore this fact to forward their propaganda. Fulmer won't be able to recruit once the staff is complete. Plus, Jeremy wasn't given enough time due to late hire and all the fiasco with coaching so it doesn't cross peoples mind that may be Jeremy asked for help this cycle. Pruitt is first time HC and TN brand is severely damaged right now. May be Jeremy wanted that extra push.

Reactions: 1 person
When Fulmer walks into a family's living room I can only imagine how perked up they get. He's a great asset for Pruitt with him not having a full staff to recruit. Would be silly not to utilize him if he's available and willing.

My thoughts are its way too early to judge Fulmer. But VN always reacts without thinking.

We definitely have a winner ...

Blank+_29ab00518f73c37a833d355f68654600.gif

/endthread

I guess we could send one of our other former coaches on the road that have won several conference championships and a national championship.

Here is a rational thought.. Pruitt can sale his coaching eligibility, his staff, his style...However, someone has to sale the University of Tennessee, Pruitt still has to learn what makes UT great, what traditions make UT great, maybe even what players have made UT great.. Who better to sale UT then Phillip Fulmer, he knows its entire history..

Where Pruitt is lacking Fulmer picks up... lets not forget, he grew up a Alabama fan.. (and don't say well being a Alabama fan he should knows UTs traditions, hell I've hated Bama for 25 years of my life and I don't know there traditions..never cared to know them..

Everyone calm down. Most here know I'm a Fulmer supporter. My op was written very poorly due to somewhat of an altered state of mind and being half asleep. I think what I was trying ask was, if this was clarifying the opposing crowds agenda. Could they have been right? How does this make us look? As stated, though poorly, I know this is a hard and critical time in recruiting for us. To us, we see it as a positive. But could it actually be off putting to the recruits and their families? It's possible others will use this against us and it actually have a negative impact. Only time will tell

I know it seems like desperate times right now in recruiting, but seeing Fulmer on the recruiting trail........ Guess a lot of folks were right about him trying to "get in the way" and hiring someone that would allow him to control the next HC. What's y'alls thoughts on seeing Fulmer recruiting

Fulmer is a strong closer, especially with the parents. He represents a stabilizing force. Parents like stability where their kids are involved. I see no harm in his presence.

I know it seems like desperate times right now in recruiting, but seeing Fulmer on the recruiting trail........ Guess a lot of folks were right about him trying to "get in the way" and hiring someone that would allow him to control the next HC. What's y'alls thoughts on seeing Fulmer recruiting

What exactly is he "getting in the way" of exactly? Football just seems to be too stressful for some of you, it may be necessary to try to find a new hobby.

I remember a story a friend of mine told me about a player from the Fulmer days. My friend is good buddies with this former player to this day.

Anyway, this player came from a big family of die hard bama supporters. He had an offer from bama and it was a lock that he would be going there. Fulmer had an in home visit scheduled with him and despite him and his family viewing it as waste of time, Fulmer came anyway.

Fulmer made the visit for dinner with the player and his family. He even ended up helping the mother with the dishes after the meal. When he left, the family was blown away. The mother said, "I don't care if it is Tennessee, you are going to play for that gentleman."

And he did.

This.

Fulmer's strength as a recruiter was that he can talk with family in a way that makes them feel comfortable. I think this would be even stronger as the AD as opposed to the coach. Now, he can say, "coaches will be tough on your son but I will make sure they are fair and that your son gets all the help he needs academically. You can call me if you have concerns." What mom or dad wouldn't want to hear that? As long as Pruitt is on board, sounds good to me.

Mays is an exceptional situation. I doubt you see Fulmer heavily involved in recruiting.

my goodness. stupid post is stupid.

Yes, Fulmer will be held to standards as an AD.

He is the AD. Not the coach. He has earned right to run it as he sees fit.

he will be held to standards separate of those as a HBC.

waaaay to early for this ****.

I wouldn't be surprised to someday learn that they left a coaching position open intentionally to allow CPF to recruit for this cycle. Don't be surprised if the last of the positions suddenly get filled a day or two after the early signing date. Unless Mays doesn't sign early, then they may stay open longer than that! :)

Yes. But people here tend to ignore this fact to forward their propaganda. Fulmer won't be able to recruit once the staff is complete. Plus, Jeremy wasn't given enough time due to late hire and all the fiasco with coaching so it doesn't cross peoples mind that may be Jeremy asked for help this cycle. Pruitt is first time HC and TN brand is severely damaged right now. May be Jeremy wanted that extra push.

Im all for it. Shows alot of character on CJP's part imo

Tom Lemming called Fulmer the greatest recruiting head coach of all time. Any help he is willing to give while Pruitt is pulling double duty is welcome. Plus he has relationships that Pruitt doesn't have.

Pruitt asked the fans to do his job for him while he enjoys a few victory laps with Bama; no doubt he leaned on Phil in the same manner.

I personally do not mind Fulmer helping as long as he lets Pruitt coach without sticking his nose where its not needed. If Pruitt asks then that's different, but I want to see what Pruitt can do, not Fulmer. One nice thing to see is Bama fans blow a fuse b/c Fulmer's AD. They absolutely hate Fulmer.

VN Store

Back