Pruitt is a terrible hire and here is why

Good points. You also left off that he is from Alabama and is not showing up for work for a month.

He doesn’t go back to Bama until the 15th...and we have a plane...and cellular technology! :)

Reactions: 1 person
if I was the OP I would have brought up some different points.

1. He won't be the full time coach until after the playoffs. really hurts with recruiting. Butttt Smharrrrttt. Smart was walking into a loaded program with a lot more stability than UT.
2. Quick turnaround on staff vs Smart. Smart was able to hire a bunch of good Saban assistants. Will Pruitt have that same luxury? talent pool is going to be shallower because of how recently Smart left, and now at least 3 schools/coaches pulling from that 1 tree.
3. 3-4 defense. considering our lack of BIG DTs this should be a major concern. we are talking a two year transition period instead of 1. again we don't have the talent or the numbers that Georgia had.
4. Offense. Jones ran an odd offense that doesn't really match up to anything. An offensive minded coach would be more likely to recognize and reorganize the talent into something that works. Depends on the OC obviously, but instead of two offensive minds working on it we get 1.
5. ties in to 2, but on the coaching front Pruitt is a two and done coach. he probably has plenty of connections, but no strong connections as a factor of jumping around a lot.
6. Bama boy, is he going to have that one foot out the door mindset, or will he actually bring stability to UT? Again 2 and done, and mama calling him home.
7. Usually I would say its a good thing that the fan base we are hiring our coach from is upset to see him go, but that might not be the full story here. His defenses have been good, but not all time good like Smart. Also Bama fans may just be tired of having coordinators hired away and are saying "oh no not this again". also the timing sucks incredibly, I would take the complaints with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 4 people
I know battered vol syndrome is a real thing and people here just want to feel positive about whatever they get at this point, but I don't feel that we've benefitted in any way by ignoring logic and facts over the years, so I figured I would point out why other schools weren't interested in Pruitt and why it won't work out here.

Let's tackle the "virtues" posters will reiterate ad nauseam:

1. "He's a great recruiter!"

Well, he has traditionally been at schools that have great recruiting. Has he really been the impetus behind it, or just part of a team?

Also, weren't we told the exact same about Dooley? Didn't Dooley come from a similar recruiting background?

Also, does it really matter so much that your head coach was a great recruiter as an assistant? If that were the case, wouldn't other Power 5 schools immediately go for the best recruiting assistants for their head jobs? Or are we just smarter than the rest of them? Does anyone actually believe that?

Haven't we gone down this road again and again? How many top recruits have we singed over the years that weren't properly developed or utilized? Haven't we learned, at this point, that a coach is much more valuable than a recruiter?

2. "He's just like Kirby Smart!"

Actually, looking at the differences between the two resumes is enlightening. Smart was Saban's defensive coordinator for 8 years. Pruitt has only been a defensive coordinator for 5 years total. He has only been Saban's coordinator for 2 years. So, we are certainly looking at less experience.

In fact, one looks at Pruitt's time as a coordinator, and the fact that he has never been at a school for more than 2 years, and you realize that he has very little experience developing personnel. This is a guy you want to rebuild with? By contrast, Kirby Smart was Saban's top assistant as he built the Alabama dynasty. That's far different than being a hired gun that is inserted into already established staffs and programs.

Do you really believe that every Alabama defensive coordinator will make an effective head coach just because Smart has done well this year? That doesn't seem like a good bet. We've seen plenty of successful coordinators fail over the years, guys with more consistent resumes and longer periods of production.

3. "He's a great defensive mind!"

Is he? He has had very good defenses. He's also always had a talent advantage.

The thing I don't understand about Tennessee is that, while the administrations' mouthpieces in the local media keep telling us how hard it is to recruit and win here against the likes of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc…we never really try to hire a coach with a history of getting more out of less. Pruitt definitely continues that trend.

If you believe that he will be able to out-recruit the rest of the SEC, then I guess there is cause for hope. But hasn't that been what we've pinned our hopes on in coach after coach? Why would we think the result will be different this time?

One of the best measures of a coach is what they do in the big games and against teams of similar talent. Since Pruitt has never been the head guy, we have to go by his coordinator experience. In his biggest games (his two national championship appearances) Pruitt's defense has given up an average of 33 points (by contrast, Kirby Smart's defenses never allowed more than 21 points in the national championship game, and averaged 11.7 points allowed per NC game). That's not really the work of a defensive mastermind, especially considering the incredible talent he had at his disposal.

4. "We couldn't get anyone else!"

Well, that may be true. If so, though, that is due to the administration not the fans or the program. Accepting that result and supporting that administration does nothing to improve the state of the program. Haven't we learned anything at this point? Isn't "getting behind the new coach" and having patience the exact reason Dooley and Jones got big extensions, resulting in ridiculous buyouts?

If you truly couldn't get anyone who had a decent chance of winning here due to our administrative mess, wouldn't it be wiser to install an interim until we fixed the mess? Committing longterm to a weak hire simply doesn't make sense for anyone, save those hoping to continue bilking the fans while selling false hope. Sure, an interim would probably kill the recruiting class. But is it better to waste 1 year or 3-4 years?

5. "We got to give him a chance! He hasn't coached a game yet!"

Yes, we're back to that familiar point where the unknowable future is our new coach's best quality. Of course, no one can say for certain that Pruitt will fail, but given that there is so little evidence that he will succeed, it's a sucker's bet to think he'll ever be anything more than average here.

I created a negatkvity thread for you people who continually beat dead horse about anything ut...

I agree with the OP.

I find it hilarious to see folks try to force their opinions on others just because we don’t think it’s a great hire compared to some people.

Our expectations have been watered down so much where our motto is “Well he’s not that bad and is better than the last previous coach we fired.”

We’ve been through this twice already but people tend to ignore it for whatever reason.

Some of you folks think that all we got to do is ask a coach to come to TN and they will come running--it's not that easy. Like it or not, this isn't the 70s when UT was one of the top 3 or 4 jobs in the country. Those who didn't grow up with orange colored glasses don't see the job as we do. The last few hirings should tell us that--we have a long way to go to be where we want to be and there are a of of schools out there that we have to compete with.

I'm happy with this hire and hope he takes us where we need to be.

Reactions: 2 people
And you’re a terrible poster. How about pipe down until he gives you an actual reason to lose faith in his ability? That would be a better idea. The guy’s resume isn’t that bad.

Isn't that bad....says it all.

You you are saying it's bad, just not that bad.

And the blind fools on here throw you the likes for pumpin sunshine.

Reactions: 5 people
Speculation is all I see.....so he's a terrible hire based on opinions? lol

Not sure it's worth the time to refute each point.

And on the flip side he's a great hire because he will have an orange tie on at the presser??

Not supporting coaches just because they are the one hired like I did with Dooley and Butch.

Win, just win.

Reactions: 3 people
I do not suffer from the battered Vol syndrome. Pruitt wasn't among those I thought of first as good hires but if you cannot get an existing HC with proven horsepower then IMO a coordinator at a top program is at least as good and probably better than dipping to the latest "big thing" in the mid-majors.

SO....

1- No. We do not know that his success as an assistant at great recruiting schools will translate as a HC at UT. OTOH, the OP goes pretty far down the other road. He compares to Dooley as if the failure of one guy dictates the failure of someone from a slightly similar background. It doesn't.

One of the things that few seem to talk about is that he has also recruited the same area as UT needs to recruit for success. He already has some relationships.

2- No one is "just like Kirby Smart". Pruitt will have to cut his own path. But the fact that 3 of the 4 coaches in the playoff this year came to their current positions from being coordinators at top programs... isn't irrelevant. It proves it can be done and should kill the myth that only coaches with prior HC experience can succeed.

3- Hard to say. There are things that can be pointed to suggesting Pruitt is a defensive "mastermind". There are other things that make that less certain. Without question, he's had solid mentors in that respect over the years.... and he will have a DC, right?

4- Not true. Brohm would have been one of my favorites but someone apparently killed that deal over contract terms. Leach or Kiffin probably could have been hired for a price equal to their value. There are others that UT could have bought at a little higher price. But Fulmer and whoever he listened to (not the least of whom was Manning) to a different direction. Fulmer owns it. Hopefully it works.

5- No matter who had been hired... we would have had to "give them a chance". You can make assumptions that a coach you are pumped over will succeed... but that's all you have is assumptions. TAM was pumped when Sumlin came in. Arkansas had been through troubled waters and thought that Bielema who was very successful at Wisconsin would fix things. There have been a long line of "homerun hires" at Miami who didn't get it done. Before Sumlin, TAM hired a SUCCESSFUL NFL coach... he failed badly. RichRod was a sure thing... twice after leaving WVU.

The truth is that the only "proof" is in the product. We won't know that until Pruitt gets a chance to produce one.

Reactions: 5 people
I know battered vol syndrome is a real thing and people here just want to feel positive about whatever they get at this point, but I don't feel that we've benefitted in any way by ignoring logic and facts over the years, so I figured I would point out why other schools weren't interested in Pruitt and why it won't work out here.

Well, he has traditionally been at schools that have great recruiting. Has he really been the impetus behind it, or just part of a team?

Also, weren't we told the exact same about Dooley? Didn't Dooley come from a similar recruiting background?

Also, does it really matter so much that your head coach was a great recruiter as an assistant? If that were the case, wouldn't other Power 5 schools immediately go for the best recruiting assistants for their head jobs? Or are we just smarter than the rest of them? Does anyone actually believe that?

Haven't we gone down this road again and again? How many top recruits have we singed over the years that weren't properly developed or utilized? Haven't we learned, at this point, that a coach is much more valuable than a recruiter?

Actually, looking at the differences between the two resumes is enlightening. Smart was Saban's defensive coordinator for 8 years. Pruitt has only been a defensive coordinator for 5 years total. He has only been Saban's coordinator for 2 years. So, we are certainly looking at less experience.

In fact, one looks at Pruitt's time as a coordinator, and the fact that he has never been at a school for more than 2 years, and you realize that he has very little experience developing personnel. This is a guy you want to rebuild with? By contrast, Kirby Smart was Saban's top assistant as he built the Alabama dynasty. That's far different than being a hired gun that is inserted into already established staffs and programs.

Do you really believe that every Alabama defensive coordinator will make an effective head coach just because Smart has done well this year? That doesn't seem like a good bet. We've seen plenty of successful coordinators fail over the years, guys with more consistent resumes and longer periods of production.

The thing I don't understand about Tennessee is that, while the administrations' mouthpieces in the local media keep telling us how hard it is to recruit and win here against the likes of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc…we never really try to hire a coach with a history of getting more out of less. Pruitt definitely continues that trend.

If you believe that he will be able to out-recruit the rest of the SEC, then I guess there is cause for hope. But hasn't that been what we've pinned our hopes on in coach after coach? Why would we think the result will be different this time?

One of the best measures of a coach is what they do in the big games and against teams of similar talent. Since Pruitt has never been the head guy, we have to go by his coordinator experience. In his biggest games (his two national championship appearances) Pruitt's defense has given up an average of 33 points (by contrast, Kirby Smart's defenses never allowed more than 21 points in the national championship game, and averaged 11.7 points allowed per NC game). That's not really the work of a defensive mastermind, especially considering the incredible talent he had at his disposal.

Well, that may be true. If so, though, that is due to the administration not the fans or the program. Accepting that result and supporting that administration does nothing to improve the state of the program. Haven't we learned anything at this point? Isn't "getting behind the new coach" and having patience the exact reason Dooley and Jones got big extensions, resulting in ridiculous buyouts?

If you truly couldn't get anyone who had a decent chance of winning here due to our administrative mess, wouldn't it be wiser to install an interim until we fixed the mess? Committing longterm to a weak hire simply doesn't make sense for anyone, save those hoping to continue bilking the fans while selling false hope. Sure, an interim would probably kill the recruiting class. But is it better to waste 1 year or 3-4 years?

Yes, we're back to that familiar point where the unknowable future is our new coach's best quality. Of course, no one can say for certain that Pruitt will fail, but given that there is so little evidence that he will succeed, it's a sucker's bet to think he'll ever be anything more than average here.

So i see that you can ***** and complain. Can you list any positives?

Actually he IS a great recruiter. That isn't debatable. Winning recruiter of the year in 2012.

I don't know that Dooley was ever labeled as a great recruiter prior to taking the TN job. I believe people may have assumed that based on his appointment as recruiting coordinator at LSU.

He's got a great resume. Who knows if he will be successful. Looks better to me than anyone else we offered but time will tell. I'm rooting for success. If you're not then go be a Vandy fan!

I agree with the OP.

I find it hilarious to see folks try to force their opinions on others just because we don’t think it’s a great hire compared to some people.

Our expectations have been watered down so much where our motto is “Well he’s not that bad and is better than the last previous coach we fired.”

We’ve been through this twice already but people tend to ignore it for whatever reason.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. We hired a new coach. Some like.... Some don't.

393fe671c443eaa85a2fc2113090b38f.jpg

After almost getting SchiaNO, you have the ba!!s to say Pruitt is a terrible hire?!?! You need a rectal-cranial-inversion!

We got a coach that's been instrumental in winning championships at 2 different schools. Grab some beer and pompoms you miserable sons-a-britches .

OP, I'm gonna have to go with Phillip Fulmer and his experience and expertise over your opinion.

Thread should've been titled "I'm not sure if Pruitt is a good hire"... None of your points prove that the hire is terrible. Is he the best hire? No, but it's too early to label it as terrible.

Your opinion means nothing. I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than CPF and the people he spoke with. Ridiculous.

Still don't get the love affair with Gruden. This is infinitely a better hire than Gruden. Gruden would have been another disaster.

Grudes was a dream and gave us hope through many months of speculation. Friend of mine years back said "you dream of blondes but, marry brunettes".

VN Store

Back