Question(s) About The Rock On UT’s Campus

Lawrence Wright

Troll Brother #1
Thousands of students on campus, and just one rock.

Seems like as soon as you get done painting, there’s another group waiting to paint something.

Do you have to reserve a time, set an appointment?

Is it first come, first served?

What’s the rule on how long the rock stays unpainted after one group finishes before someone can paint over what’s there already?

And are rival fans allowed to paint the rock?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Reactions: 5 people

Seems like as soon as you get done painting, there’s another group waiting to paint something.

Do you have to reserve a time, set an appointment?

Is it first come, first served?

What’s the rule on how long the rock stays unpainted after one group finishes before someone can paint over what’s there already?

I can't answer but one of your questions, can rival fans paint the rock? NO!

And that makes sense.

Just seems like that rock changes faster than the paint can dry on the previous artwork.

I don't think there really are any rules. That said, high quality artwork and important messages seem to get respect and hang around longer than random crap.

When i was there (early-mid 2000's [god i'm old]), it would change almost daily. There were exceptions though; for instance, A guy from my hometown that also went to UT was killed in a car accident on his way back to campus. His frat did a tribute to him on rock and I believe it was left alone out of respect for him for about a week.

So weird to go to campus now and the rock isn't where it was when i there. Who moves a rock? We do i suppose.

Reactions: 3 people
Make sure the frat and sororitys don't have any birthdays and ur good . Other wise happy birthday Brittany will be wrote on it as quick as u walk away

Reactions: 1 person
When i was there (early-mid 2000's [god i'm old]), it would change almost daily. There were exceptions though; for instance, A guy from my hometown that also went to UT was killed in a car accident on his way back to campus. His frat did a tribute to him on rock and I believe it was left alone out of respect for him for about a week.

So weird to go to campus now and the rock isn't where it was when i there. Who moves a rock? We do i suppose.

The new location is stupid, too. They moved it while I was in school.

Oh wow, I never knew that. Where was it before?

I do remember the rock being painted something different every time I left class on some days.

If it's vulgar, it's taken down quick. That also includes racist things.

So apparently there are some things the school won't allow up.

Reactions: 1 person
Most of the time it’s just words. I wouldn’t call it artwork.

Do you have to reserve a time, set an appointment? - no you can go any time

Is it first come, first served? - yes

What’s the rule on how long the rock stays unpainted after one group finishes before someone can paint over what’s there already? - no rule, just whenever someone wants to

And are rival fans allowed to paint the rock? - it isn’t policed, so technically yes

It all slid off a few years ago.

Attachments

• 635731611090166876-UTrock.jpg
    635731611090166876-UTrock.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 26
I really wonder how thick the paint is on there. I looked a few years ago and it was ridiculous

It sloughs off every once in a while. More frequently in the summer, when it's hot. I think it's a real goopy mess on the concrete around it when that happens until the guys get there to clean up, heh.

They have in the past

alabama-paints-rock-copy1.png

VN Store

Back