Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is suggesting we keep Butch without extending him. What are you talking about?

Extend or fire. That's the options for UTAD in regards to CBJ.

Bingo. And if you extend it's in years only and you make him agree to a cheaper buyout. If he doesn't like it then you make a change.

My stance here at least in my thinking is no different than others saying we need to up our commitment to winning with our pocket book. Extended Butch would only help in recruiting which in turn would help the next coach if a change is made. It's only money anyway. That's the only thing at stake with an extension anyway and if we are going to pay the next guy 6mil anyway let's jump in with both feet.

And that's where we are at an impasse. I view a mediocre coach as a detriment. If he goes out and has another mediocre season, the recruiting class will be mediocre. Mediocrity abounds. I'd rather pay a new guy 6 million than re-up with the wrong guy.

The flip side of that is that would mean a big win against bama, Ga or LSU.

Lsu is key for this whole thing.
I thought they would be in shambles by our game and if they are then it won't mean as much

LSU will be a big win in name alone. Just like a win against UF would have been.

Meh. I just disagree. Like I said, least of our worries.

I never said we didn't have bigger problems.

I never said that transfers or recruiting losses should be a factor in whether they fire him or not.

Thing is, as another poster pointed out, if the team tanks this year, recruits will be jumping ship anyway, prior to Butch being let go.

My prediction is he wins enough to keep his job, he explores other opportunities. His stock will be down and no positions open that appeals to him. He's back next year and he has another 8-4 or 7-5 type season and we are having the same discussions.

It's not either or, for me.

Based on everyone who has seen them practice and play in a game, JG is not ready yet.

On the flip side, QD has deficiencies that aren't really being corrected.

Could be wrong, but I think JG against Florida would have been a worse performance that QD

JMO

This. Let this play out, only 3 games in. JG should play and gain confidence this week. Same with QD. Then UGA will dictate how the season goes.

As to QD against UF - add back the worst drops on the receivers, including probably the game winner at the goal line by Kelly. Add in the wrong route by Palmer for the pick that cost points. QD was not playing well, but it was more than enough to win Saturday. He does need to step up in the pocket and take the hit if necessary. He's like Ainge was, a terrible thrower off the back foot. He understands what he sees in coverage for the most part and will throw it away if necessary. JG is not there yet on that.

My issue is the same. If Butch refuses to modify the scheme to the talents of the players he uses, winning and losing will always be in the question against all SEC and major OOC opponents.

Reactions: 1 person
I never said we didn't have bigger problems.

I never said that transfers or recruiting losses should be a factor in whether they fire him or not.

Thing is, as another poster pointed out, if the team tanks this year, recruits will be jumping ship anyway, prior to Butch being let go.

My prediction is he wins enough to keep his job, he explores other opportunities. His stock will be down and no positions open that appeals to him. He's back next year and he has another 8-4 or 7-5 type season and we are having the same discussions.

I predict we have a new coach next year.

Reactions: 1 person
In October of last year UT released the figures that the reserve had went from 6 million to 18 million. We were operating at a 12 million a yr surplus. That was for fiscal year 15-16. I imagine the increase in season tickets last year etc pushed the same numbers again or even higher. Its probably safe to assume that UT will have a reserve nearing 30 million at this point.

All this to say that this talk of UT not being able to make a coaching change is absurd. I will always thank Jones for bringing us out of the Dooley years. For that he deserves the buyout. It is now time however to progress forward. Muschamp didn't take the job after Dooley because of how down our roster was. Trust me, we will be able to court whoever we want if we have to make a change. Our roster is loaded with talent at this point.

I predict we have a new coach next year.

If that's the case we've had a losing season or Butch gets fed up and moves on on his own (most likely scenario IMO).

I always look at the money. If the money keeps rolling in, the AD is more likely to retain. I realize Currie is not Dave Hart, but I can't help but to remember that he would have brought Dolley back had he not lost to Vandy.

I don't think Butch gets fired. He may not be here but I don't think he's fired. I've talked to a couple of boosters and they are full Butch. One I was sure would be ready to send him packing. Surprised me, frankly.

In reading LWS posts I get the feeling that Butch is leaving no matter what. He has stated that a loss to Kentucky or Vandy and he's gone. If he didn't get an extension after 8-4 last year he's not getting one after 8-4 this year. Then someone asked what if he finishes 10-2 with a loss to Bama and he responded that he thinks that record would get him another job. I think he wants out and I think UT wants him out but we're just gonna have to wait till the end of the year

This is how I see and hear it. It's what he does and who he is. Which is another reason he hired Sexton.

Works for me. Currie has all season to analyze and work on who he wants.

If CBJ wanted an extension for recruiting, he could have had one back in the spring. UT could extend the contract and spread the buyout to make it revenue-neutral-- done deal. That hasn't happened, which tells you it isn't about recruiting-- CBJ wants more money and more job security. UT didn't even give him a token raise.

Jimmy Sexton plays hardball. Currie hasn't blinked. IDT he will.

Reactions: 2 people
If that's the case we've had a losing season or Butch gets fed up and moves on on his own (most likely scenario IMO).

I always look at the money. If the money keeps rolling in, the AD is more likely to retain. I realize Currie is not Dave Hart, but I can't help but to remember that he would have brought Dolley back had he not lost to Vandy.

I don't think Butch gets fired. He may not be here but I don't think he's fired. I've talked to a couple of boosters and they are full Butch. One I was sure would be ready to send him packing. Surprised me, frankly.

So you are keeping him at 7-5. I am with you.

Do you give him an extension at that point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back