2017 SEC Baseball MLB Draft Thread

We'll know in the next 5 years where the money was better spent. Hopefully, JRogers can get to the show and make the big money!! As for Wright, eventually, he needs to use that great "potential" and actually produce.

The future won't answer that. Wright can become a Cy young winner and he still shouldn't have gotten more money than any pick since 2012.

So he was the best draft pick since 2012???

If so it was worth it

One team thought he was worth the money and they spent it. They backed up their opinion with $ to make it a multi million dollar opinion. Your opinion is worth the price you are paying for it. :)

Reactions: 1 person
One team thought he was worth the money and they spent it. They backed up their opinion with $ to make it a multi million dollar opinion. Your opinion is worth the price you are paying for it. :)

Not my opinion we are talking about. He is the highest paid guy since 2012. A hell of a lot of clubs expressed their opinion that a player isn't worth that. Only the Braves had the opinion he was which is foolish because there literally is no supply and demand argument out there he was worth it

There was article that discussed their thought process. They felt Wright was the best player in the draft. They didn't think he would fall to them. But apparently they targeted him in January and didn't waiver. They were afraid that when his production picked up mid-season that he would no longer fall to them.

The flip side to this is that Kyle grew up as a Braves fan, and obviously, Dansby Swanson is playing there now. The Braves are also a young team that is building for the future and a team that has two pitchers in their starting rotation that are 42 years old or older. That means the path to the majors is a little quicker in their organization than in some others.

So if the Braves are willing to pay him like a 1-1 pick, and he tells everyone that his price tag is, say, 7.5, then he can pick the situation that he thinks is best for him, and both sides get what they want.

The reality is, with the long odds that draftees face, you could make an argument that most first rounders are overpaid in terms of signing bonus. You could also argue with the inherent risk that every pitcher faces, you need to get every dollar that you can, as soon as you can.

Any of these guys could throw a pitch tomorrow that results in Tommy John surgery and completely alters or terminates their ability to make money playing baseball. So I have no problem with any player, particularly a pitcher, getting as much up front money as possible.

Yes the braves thought he was worth it. The only ones which is the point.

Hey BruinVol. The definition of Market Value is: The highest price a willing buyer would pay and a willing seller would accept, both being fully informed, and the property being exposed for sale for a reasonable period of time.

You may disagree with it but you can't change the definition nor can you say the Braves were wrong until you see how he turns out. Scouts, cross checkers, front office personnel and the GM think he is worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hey BruinVol. The definition of Market Value is: The highest price a willing buyer would pay and a willing seller would accept, both being fully informed, and the property being exposed for sale for a reasonable period of time.

You may disagree with it but you can't change the definition nor can you say the Braves were wrong until you see how he turns out. Scouts, cross checkers, front office personnel and the GM think he is worth it.

If one Person wants to go down to the dealership and pays 50k for a car listed at 35k that doesn't make it the market value. That makes that one person a fool.

I think this is more like an auction scenario.

If Wright was projected to go 10th but they still thought he was their best option, they wouldn't have overpaid.

They had to overpay because of their draft position.

This is more like the market for fine art than the market for a commodity that comes off of an assembly line.

I get over playing but not at a 20% clip. Especially when that total is highest in the current era of the draft.

Top of the draft pitchers, especially for the top baseball colleges, are one of the few that can go back for their senior season and still get paid. It would be a risk, but it can be done. Usually, someone like Rogers will get a call prior to the draft and right before he gets drafted and asked if he would sign for a particular amount. He will always get to say that he was a 6th round draft pick (compare to Maddox in the 18th round, bonus of $100000, and Simcox in the 14th, bonus of over $400000) and that might get him an extra look within the organization. He probably turned down significantly more the year before or put out a number with the teams that he wouldn't go below and that sealed his fate. The market decides what teams will pay. He will get to live the dream and has a chance.

Added some more signings and guys declaring that they are coming back. Also, the Astros saved another $150,000 on a signing. So they will easily have the money Serrano asked for unless they plan to go way over-slot on their #1.

Looking more and more like KS is going to sign.

I added some more signings today. Callis said he thinks basically everyone in the Top 10 rounds will sign. (Shocker)

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/jonathanmayo/status/879722336282431488[/Twitter]

Here is what the Astros saved a lot of the money for.

Astros:
1st Pick- JB Bukauskas (Unsigned) (Slot Value- $3,588,200)
2nd Pick- Joe Perez- Signed for $1,600,000 (Over-Slot by $335,000)
3rd Pick- Corbin Martin- Signed for $1,000,000 (Under-Slot by $178,600)
4th Pick- JJ Matejevic- Signed for $700,000 (Under-Slot by $67,400)
5th Pick- Tyler Ivey- Signed for $450,000 (Under-Slot by $147,800)
6th Pick- Peter Solomon- Signed for $420,000 (Under-Slot by $17,400)
7th Pick- Nathan Perry- Signed for $230,000 (Under-Slot by $96,600)
8th Pick- Jake Adams- Signed for $210,000 (Under-Slot by $39,600)
9th Pick- Paul Mushinski- Signed At-Slot for $195,300.
10th Pick- Corey Julks- Signed for $140,000 (Under-Slot by $18,100)
11th Pick- Michael Papierski- Signed At-Slot for $141,600.
12th Pick- Kyle Serrano- (Unsigned)

My math could be wrong, but I have them at $230,500 saved so far. Bukauskas will be interesting to see. Still think Serrano signs.

Last edited:
Astros:
1st Pick- JB Bukauskas (Unsigned) (Slot Value- $3,588,200)
2nd Pick- Joe Perez Signed for $1,600,000 (Over-Slot by $335,000)
3rd Pick- Corbin Martin- (Unsigned) (Slot-Value- $1,178,600)
4th Pick- JJ Matejevic- Signed for $700,000 (Under-Slot by $67,400)
5th Pick- Tyler Ivey- Signed for $450,000 (Under-Slot by $147,800)
6th Pick- Peter Solomon- Signed for $420,000 (Under-Slot by $17,400)
7th Pick- Nathan Perry- Signed for $230,000 (Under-Slot by $96,600)
8th Pick- Jake Adams- Signed for $210,000 (Under-Slot by $39,600)
9th Pick- Paul Mushinski- Signed At-Slot for $195,300.
10th Pick- Corey Julks- Signed for $140,000 (Under-Slot by $18,100)
11th Pick- Michael Papierski- (Unsigned)
12th Pick- Kyle Serrano- (Unsigned)

My math could be wrong, but I have them at $51,900 saved so far. Bukauskas will be interesting to see. Still think Serrano signs.

Read somewhere that he was expected to sign under slot which would leave plenty for Kyle

Wow. I haven't followed the draft that closely but it seems like getting Papierski and Serrano in the 11th and 12th rounds is a pretty deal for the Astros.

Wow. I haven't followed the draft that closely but it seems like getting Papierski and Serrano in the 11th and 12th rounds is a pretty deal for the Astros.

Yep. While teams like the braves sign guys with no shot to get the big leagues the atros sign guys that have great Potenial.

You know why that is?

Becasue the braves are fools

Yep. While teams like the braves sign guys with no shot to get the big leagues the atros sign guys that have great Potenial.

You know why that is?

Becasue the braves are fools

:eek:lol:

Like a dog with a bone. I respect that in a man!!

VN Store

Back