Phillip Fulmer Hired as Special Advisor to the President

My God! The first intelligent thing the UT administration has done in a looooong time. We are gonna be a football school again.

Reactions: 2 people
But I thought VN said Currie hates Fulmer and was never going to hire him for any position in our Administration Department???

I'm sure there will be some sort of collaboration but Fulmer and Currie will not be in the same chain of command. Fulmer's boss is Currie's boss's boss.

Well Fulmer didn't get hired to advise on educational issues. Lol. I'm sure everything he does or says will directly affect Currie and UT athletics, football primarily.

How can a fella recruit Peyton Manning, win multiple SEC Titles and an National Championship and be "tarred and feathered" by the same school he gave so much to?

Reactions: 8 people
Bolding some words for those that missed them -

In this role, Fulmer will serve as an ambassador for the University system at community and athletics events, support the intercollegiate athletic programs at UT campuses in Knoxville, Chattanooga and Martin, and work with UT government relations and alumni affairs leadership to advocate for the statewide system with elected officials and UT alumni.

To do his job well he cannot just concentrate on UTK Football.

But I thought Currie hated Fulmer and Fulmer wouldnt have anything to do with the AD as long as Currie was in charge? Isnt that what most posters claimed? And everyone wanted Blackburn because he would likely bring Fulmer on in some capacity?

VN "experts" wiff again.

just one mistake...you thought...:)

GO VOLS!

Had to bring Fulmer on some he can become interim head coach in middle of season lol

Bolding some words for those that missed them -

In this role, Fulmer will serve as an ambassador for the University system at community and athletics events, support the intercollegiate athletic programs at UT campuses in Knoxville, Chattanooga and Martin, and work with UT government relations and alumni affairs leadership to advocate for the statewide system with elected officials and UT alumni.

To do his job well he cannot just concentrate on UTK Football.

Sure. Sure. I'm guessing that what's going on with the UT Martin Volleyball team is exactly what interested Fulmer in the job... Wink wink.

I kid. But seriouly...

And I do think this is a good role for him ... ambassador across the state ... hopefully bring focus to athletic programs at all three places in the state.

Sure. Sure. I'm guessing that what's going on with the UT Martin Volleyball team is exactly what interested Fulmer in the job... Wink wink.

I kid. But seriouly...

He is an advisor to the President. The President has reign over all three campuses so would expect an advisor to the President to have that same focus.

If not, don't say he is an advisor to all three and have him focus only on one.

He is an advisor to the President. The President has reign over all three campuses so would expect an advisor to the President to have that same focus.

If not, don't say he is an advisor to all three and have him focus only on one.

In my current leadership role I have many different responsibilities and areas of focus. I'm technically accountable for a lot of things. However there are a couple things for which I give 90% of time and effort due to their importance, while at any time I may have to engage one of those others as a need arises. But only a couple are the real reason I get paid.

Nothing in the realm of university of Tennessee athletics is more important than the football program.

I'm sure Phil is going to be a great ambassador for UT athletics, but you can't ignore priorities and the realities of the situation.

Reactions: 1 person
Funny thing is most of you were the same ones calling for him to get fired. He's just a 10 win Coach, lol. Now everyone is praising his return.

Let's be fair.

When the whole Fulmer debate was going down from roughly 2005-2008, who was being hired into the conference?

UGA had recently hired Richt a few years prior and he was pretty dang good from his second year on.

UF hired Urban.

Bama hired Saban.

SC hired Spurrier.

LSU hired Les Miles.

Arkansas hired Bobby Petrino. Awesome hire until the motorbike accident.

Ole Miss hired Orgeron, which didn't work out too great in the W/L record but was considered a big hire coming from then dominant USC.

Vol fans had no reason at the time to expect that our AD wouldn't do as good a job as those programs in bagging a big name/proven winner. I don't know WTF happened to make us wind up with Kiffin. That's not a slam on Kiffin, but other than Orgeron, Kiffin doesn't belong on the same list as the coaches I listed above. Considering what we paid Kiffin's staff, I don't think it was a money thing.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back