Charlton Warren hired as DB coach

This is a great hire. We know him from UNC and he is who recruited Caleb Rozar from Dickson Cty who trains with us. Really good technique guy and recruits well too.

Reactions: 13 people
Wouldn't count on that at the moment. They had very good players and Jones and crew have not recruited CB very well.

What we will likely see is a secondary that plays with discipline more similar to the Air Force Academy. The service academies have to play disciplined and smart because they seldom get elite athletes. They also have to be physical and tackle well. Basically they have to do the things that UT has been poor at for the last 4 years in the secondary.

The entire Defense needs this desperately

Reactions: 6 people
Super excited about this hire. He brings a lot to the table with discipline, recruiting experience both regional and national, and his success at coaching super tough pass defenses. I'm just anxious to read what all the negavols will post. With the OC search not having much momentum with big names, this unforseen name is a very positive move in the coaching turnover.

Reactions: 5 people
Has he ever worked for Shoop before? Honest question, since so many said the issue for Shoop last year was him not having "his guys" on staff. Is Warren a Shoop guy who has coached for him before, who knows his schemes, etc?

Hope this proves to be a great hire. Martinez clearly wasn't getting it done under Shoop.

Football Scoop tweeted out "More coming for Tennessee..." and contained the link announcing Warren's hire.

On their website it says "sources tell Football Scoop more changes are coming at UT in the coming days..."

Reactions: 6 people
Normally this is relegated to recruiting news but............BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
:rock:

Football Scoop tweeted out "More coming for Tennessee..." and contained the link announcing Warren's hire.

On their website it says "sources tell Football Scoop more changes are coming at UT in the coming days..."

Strip out and Hoke in?

Thig Out?

Mahoney?

Has he ever worked for Shoop before? Honest question, since so many said the issue for Shoop last year was him not having "his guys" on staff. Is Warren a Shoop guy who has coached for him before, who knows his schemes, etc?

Hope this proves to be a great hire. Martinez clearly wasn't getting it done under Shoop.

When Shoop is working with your position group I nearly every practice video released there's a problem.

Shoop hasn't won me over yet but this move helps

Nice hire!! This is quote from scout
"Warren, who joined the UNC coaching staff when Gene Chizik took over as defensive coordinator ahead of the 2015 season, directed a pass defense resurgence in Chapel Hill. The Tar Heels had the most improved pass defense in the country in 2015 in both efficiency and yards per pass attempt. UNC allowed 11 passing touchdowns in 2016, which were the fewest allowed in the ACC. "

Reactions: 4 people

Just the little I've found suggests he is more in line with Shoop's type of discipline and hard work.

Reactions: 2 people
I always wondered how UT could have hired Martinez after we torched his UGA secondaries year after year. Perhaps the new coach will teach people to turn their heads when wildly flailing at the ball so they don't get tagged for PI so much.

Reactions: 1 person
Great news! It seems like a definite upgrade. However, I hope Shoop had influence on this decision. Is there any connection between Shoop and Warren? Butch and Warren?

Surely Shoop was onboard with this choice. Do you think he could have been the real influence for Warren to move?

Last edited:
Sounds like a solid hire. We have a few more that need to be replaced. Don Mahoney should be next in line!

VN Store

Back