'18 GA QB Trevor Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not even depth chart that pushed him away from us. The staff put more focus on Emory Jones and that pushed him away. Now that EJ is out of the picture and Dobbs is actually throwing the ball downfield well enough, hes taking a peek back IMO.

Until he shows back up in Knoxville I wouldn't put a lot of hope in anything happening here.

Reactions: 1 person
Its not even depth chart that pushed him away from us. The staff put more focus on Emory Jones and that pushed him away. Now that EJ is out of the picture and Dobbs is actually throwing the ball downfield well enough, hes taking a peek back IMO.

Until he shows back up in Knoxville I wouldn't put a lot of hope in anything happening here.

Agreed. I doubt TN becomes a factor again but I think we've proven this year that he would fit in just fine with this offense. And if they look at Butch's time at Cincy and WMU pro-style QB's were very effective there as well.

Clemson has 4* Chase Brice and 5* Hunter Johnson both coming in for the 2017 class. UGA has 4* Fromm and 5* Eason for the next several years.

Tennessee has 4* Quinten Dormady (little experience) who will be a SR when TL arrives, Sheriron Jones (no experience) who will be a rJR, and Jarrett Guarantano (no experience) who will be a rSO, plus CJ Lewis (questionable take, at best).

I don't really see how CU or UGA's situation looks "much better than ours". If anything, they are even, and he probably feels like there is less actual talent to overcome at Tennessee based solely on recruiting rankings.

I say that it looks much better than ours because we have 2 highly rated QBs on our roster each with several years' experience, albeit not playing time, to go along with Guarantano who is now getting acclimated to college/classes/ the grind. It is much harder to beat out talented guys already in the system than to beat out someone who's starting where Lawrence is. Just because someone hasn't been getting playing time doesn't mean they aren't making huge strides.

I say that it looks much better than ours because we have 2 highly rated QBs on our roster each with several years' experience, albeit not playing time, to go along with Guarantano who is now getting acclimated to college/classes/ the grind. It is much harder to beat out talented guys already in the system than to beat out someone who's starting where Lawrence is. Just because someone hasn't been getting playing time doesn't mean they aren't making huge strides.

One will be a senior and one a RS junior by the time Lawrence even steps foot on campus and that is assuming they even stick around the next few years. I dont see how that would bother a true freshman in the least.

Reactions: 5 people

Again, all three schools will have multiple QBs with experience ahead of him; Tennessee (Dormady, Jones, Guarantano), Georgia (Eason and Fromm), Clemson (Johnson and Brice) Your theory isn't adding up because it applies to all three programs.

It's highly unlikely that Lawrence is going to come into any of those 3 situations and just waltz into the starting QB job as a true FR.

I get what your saying, but I just don't see how you think it applies to Tennessee and not UGA or Clemson.

Again, all three schools will have multiple QBs with experience ahead of him; Tennessee (Dormady, Jones, Guarantano), Georgia (Eason and Fromm), Clemson (Johnson and Brice) Your theory isn't adding up because it applies to all three programs.

It's highly unlikely that Lawrence is going to come into any of those 3 situations and just waltz into the starting QB job as a true FR.

I get what your saying, but I just don't see how you think it applies to Tennessee and not UGA or Clemson.

Exactly. Plus I doubt he's concerned as a true frosh about a senior and redshirt junior (who is likely a career backup). I would think he'd be much more concerned about other highly rated QB's in the same class or the class just ahead of him.

Scheme fit and comfort with the staff is his biggest concern IMO. He wanted to see how all teams performed and has seen UT being able to pass some. I think we have an even better chance if we change a few things but that's just me

I was at the cartersville/Chestatee playoff game last Friday. Trevor didn't make a single bad throw. I left right after the first drive of the second half, cartersville was up 70-7. Trevor played until half. I think he threw 6-8 TDs on like 15 passes or something ridiculous.

Everything I've heard (nothing close to being an insider) leads me to believe he's Clemson bound. Georgia is still a factor.

A buddy of mine from Georgia said Lawrence is still highly interested in the Vols

There is still plenty of time left in Lawrence recruitment and in my opinion too soon for him to make a decision. He should at least wait until spring practices, if not the middle of next season until he has a better idea of the depth chart at other schools.

No doubt Trevor has enough talent to beat out any QB in CFB, but once a team is committed to a QB, for example like we are to Dobbs, they will stay committed to them unless that player drops significantly in performance or gets injured. Once you have someone who you are successful with, it is difficult to bench them for a player who may be talented coming out of HS but unknown in the realms of in-game CFB experience.

No shame in saying that I am still holding out hope. If Peyton ever decides to take that QB coaching spot I have no doubt in my mind TL would come here.

There is still plenty of time left in Lawrence recruitment and in my opinion too soon for him to make a decision. He should at least wait until spring practices, if not the middle of next season until he has a better idea of the depth chart at other schools.

No doubt Trevor has enough talent to beat out any QB in CFB, but once a team is committed to a QB, for example like we are to Dobbs, they will stay committed to them unless that player drops significantly in performance or gets injured. Once you have someone who you are successful with, it is difficult to bench them for a player who may be talented coming out of HS but unknown in the realms of in-game CFB experience.

No shame in saying that I am still holding out hope. If Peyton ever decides to take that QB coaching spot I have no doubt in my mind TL would come here.

Peyton is not coming to Tennessee to coach.

Peyton is not coming to Tennessee to coach.

Agreed. I think the most you might see is if he sponsors a QB camp here. But I don't see him taking a lot of orders from Butch or Debord, or hitting the road recruiting HS players. If we get his help two days a year, that would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back