Bye bye Butch - Purdue bound (message board rumor)

Great....so, reading between the lines:

1. He has checked around about leaving UT...

2. No one out there wants him

so, we are stuck with him.

Accurate summary?
All this should tell us is that he won't be here past next season. If next year is a failure he will be fired. If it is a success then he will bolt to the best job available to him.

If you think UT is a laughing stock right now..... just imagine what it will be like if Jones does go to Purdue.......We're talking Purdue here

You're talking about a school where they have no pretensions (or that much aspiration) to be nationally relevant. Hence the pressure is less by orders of magnitude, not to mention not having to dealing with deluded t-shirt fans with unreasonable expectations.

Some are just way too paranoid. Butch stays butch leaves butch is checking out other jobs, who really cares in the grand scheme of things? It really won't affect your life any more than you let it. UT football will always be considered one of the elite regardless.

He is not going anywhere. They have checked around and there is not any interest out there in hiring him. He will be here

That doesn't even make sense. Not that no one would want him, that makes perfect sense. But that our Ath. Dept. would trot his dead corpse out there for another season. What's the point? Just close up shop and shut it down. That is beyond pathetic.

Reactions: 1 person
Some are just way too paranoid. Butch stays butch leaves butch is checking out other jobs, who really cares in the grand scheme of things? It really won't affect your life any more than you let it. UT football will always be considered one of the elite regardless.

Exactly. Im not sure why anybody spends time talking about it.

Can you blame him? The week before he opened up his mouth about something stupid with Champions of Life and national media and local alike with the fan base shredded him for that. Why speak up after losing to our little brother school in the mid state.

He got ripped to shreds because that is the kind of stuff to put out there if you were performing up to expectations....otherwise it looks like a shell game. He was hired to do one thing....win, not be a social warrior. And I might say he is getting compensated very well. Right now, he has hit the lotto. Because he is getting all the benefits of his compensation by driving us to the middle (or below) and keeping us there.

That doesn't even make sense. Not that no one would want him, that makes perfect sense. But that our Ath. Dept. would trot his dead corpse out there for another season. What's the point? Just close up shop and shut it down. That is beyond pathetic.

I have heard this outside of LWS posting it. (in regards to Jones trying to get out)

Your bold is the million dollar question. Hopefully it gets answered sooner rather than later.

Granted this is a troll thread but still what else is supposed to be discussed on the football forum of VolNation.com besides the state of the football team and it's coaching staff? Nobody is calling this a life changing ordeal but this is relevant to this forum.

I have heard this outside of LWS posting it. (in regards to Jones trying to get out)

Your bold is the million dollar question. Hopefully it gets answered sooner rather than later.

the question is easily answered. no one over there with the capability to make that decision. Not going to let Hart and/or Cheek make it. Nothing can happen until new folks arrive

the question is easily answered. no one over there with the capability to make that decision. Not going to let Hart and/or Cheek make it. Nothing can happen until new folks arrive

And just to be clear you are also saying nothing will happen even when they do correct?

I have heard that too. What I mean by not making sense is that we are keeping a coach that no one wants whose long term projection is downward. Basically keeping a corpse for another year to save a few extra dollars.

Not trying to flame you, but you do realize that forums are where you discuss such things...right?

If you don't care or in "the scheme of things" it doesn't matter, let us discuss it. I am presently living in Florida and I am about 15 years (if plans hold together) away from retiring. We have 100+ acres in Gray, Tn. I plan on building a Cabin right in the middle of my land and spending the rest of my years going to TN games, whether home or away. I spent 4 years there at my University. It is still home to me. Lots of good memories. So consider, this stuff actually does mean a lot to many fans.

That is just not true either. We have plenty of experienced football folks tied to this University that can make a damn football coaching hire. Create a coach search committee. It's not freaking rocket science, although Mike Hamilton and Dave Hart would lead one to conclude it is.

That is just not true either. We have plenty of experienced football folks tied to this University that can make a damn football coaching hire. Create a coach search committee. It's not freaking rocket science, although Mike Hamilton and Dave Hart would lead one to conclude it is.

Well, if you would like to hire a coach like Derek Dooley your right. No coach with any sense is going to take a job at a school where he has no clue who the person will be that he will be reporting to.

Reactions: 3 people
And just to be clear you are also saying nothing will happen even when they do correct?

Not Larry, but IMO, there was never a possibility Butch would be fired this year.....not after posting 8 or maybe 9 wins. The only way he's not on the sidelines next year is if he decides to leave for another job. Any job open would be at best a lateral move and more likely a step down. Add to that the tremendous amount of money he'd be leaving on the table, and it's a bit silly to imagine him taking another job at this point in time.

Well, if you would like to hire a coach like Derek Dooley your right. No coach with any sense is going to take a job at a school where he has no clue who the person will be that he will be reporting to.

Our fans and evidently a good portion of our boosters are such small minded thinkers. You want to bring in a big name coach and really fix this thing? Give him a say over who the AD is.

VN Store

Back