Game Thread Lady Vols at Penn State

wow, just wow! and Penn State lost to Drexel. All the talent in the world won't fix poor coaching.

I could not watch game but listened to it. Why in hades did HW not call timeout when they went up by 8 in the 3rd quarter and finally did when I was back to 13 again. Piss poor coaching even in jr high

The new recruits -- I hope they come in with a fire to compete. We need fire. There's a whole nation of fans that'll be behind them every step of the way, but we need to see some fire on the court. It's like Coach Popovich said to the Spurs a few years ago - "I need a little nasty out there." And we need a little nasty out there, too.

A lil, this team is so soft. Diamond, wuteva. Middleton wuteva. Reynolds, wuteva. Dunbar wuteva. Nunn wuteva.
Coaches Wuteva.

Hard to coach, when you're players didn't show up to play.

I thought this team was gonna try to play Lady Vols basketball every nite. Well tonite, cud just have been one of those nites, aye ladies this nite looks familiar just going through the motions.

Reactions: 1 person
nared took the first half off, middleton couldn't defend, pass, or shoot, Nunn shouldn't have a jersey, Russell never saw a rebound she couldn't miss, meme is a train wreck, DD, poor girl, needs help because the refs let her get mugged then call her for the foul, dunbar can't score from the bench and Kamara sat all game.

did I miss anything? besides the clueless coaching?

Reactions: 2 people
Keep the Weeklys and the track coach.

Get rid of every other coach and athletics administrator on this campus.

Miss. State beating the crap out of number eight Texas. We are falling down the ranks of the SEC.

And if they play us they will beat us just as bad.. Shafer is a great coach and xs and os teams to death.. This is on HW and our so called starters. If you didn't play defense for Pat you did not play. I guess we would not be able to field a team this year because there was nothing but matador signs.:mf_surrender::mf_surrender::mf_surrender::mf_surrender:

hopefully this is this wake up call game. And this not the start of the alarm. lol

a little disappointed, but the sky is not fallin,

See, National Player of the Year candidate, don't lose games like that.

Now we go to Va Tech a team that is a lot better than Penn State. They beat us last year and now we have to play at their place. We may have to go to the women's NIT this season.

Dearstone just said...reading stats....fast break points, 16-4 Penn State...says a lot about our defense and hustle...smh!

Can anyone of these coaches teach them, how to run a zone offence, this is pathetic to watch at the college level. You don't just pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot!!! Every good team is going to zone TN, if they don't get movement and back cutting on zone defenses, we are in for a very long season. Which coach works on strength (RUSSELL) she misses to many easy bunnies. Conditioning (NUNN) boxing out, help and recover and staying in front of your man on defense (EVERYONE)!!! That PState guard, Paige ate them alive (All the good guards do). We are lacking defensive mental toughness, no young lady is going to embarrass me on the offensive end like that period!! Another unranked team, kicking our !!!!. GENO, makes halftime adjustments, I seen the same play from our team the whole game!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Really bad loss. Holly obviously figured out recruiting, now needs to figure out that coaching is more than glaring and talking terrible about your team.

When are diehard LADY Vol fans going to get what I've been saying for years--we have a terrible coaching staff.

Reactions: 3 people
hopefully this is this wake up call game. And this not the start of the alarm. lol

a little disappointed, but the sky is not fallin,

See, National Player of the Year candidate, don't lose games like that.

I think you are seeing what as to come as the year goes along. DD is about a player of the year candidate as MR. is. I hate to say it but folks this is what we can expect. If we end up 3rd in the SEC then it is a act of the almighty.
I hate we have fallen to this level. You guys that think our 9 player team will compete are day dreaming.

If I was this great group coming in next year and all seem to be scores I would work my tail off on defense and start next year. I would say 3 of the 4 at least will play all significant minutes.

Dearstone just said...reading stats....fast break points, 16-4 Penn State...says a lot about our defense and hustle...smh!

Those long threes in the first couple seconds of the offense.

Thanks, Rennia for making this sting, not too painful, help is on the way. Please come ready to work and play hard every nite.

Watch the game at a sports bar in Pennsylvania and it was amazing how much confidence their fans had at the beginning of the game. We just don't scare anyone as a program anymore.

Russell only got tougher after halftime. DD was as worthless as a wet sponge as well. Middleton is back to earth and not a dam soul can stop a scorer

The point is Russell got tougher, she battled down low most of the game, she stayed with it. Good for her, its not about how u start, its how u finish, and she finished strong.

And that goes for the Team too,

1st game that I have seen this year.I agree with the majority on here that this team looks just like the team last year against a zone defense which is clueless .I thought I read somewhere that Holly had placed increased emphasis on a zone offense in the preseason.If this game is any representation of that coaching she just needs to step aside and let the team coach itself ...it could not be any worse.If opposition plays zone against this team ,they may very well lose more than they did last year. One word can describe this performance......pathetic.

The point is Russell got tougher, she battled down low most of the game, she stayed with it. Good for her, its not about how u start, its how u finish, and she finished strong.

And that goes for the Team too,

It does matter how you start if you are behind by 13 at the half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holly and all coaches. Look at this '98 Championship tape. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvw0iU-fqUs) This is PHS won - notice the speed of the game, which by the way reminds me a lot of UConn now. Notice the discipline of the players, who don't just jack up a shot but look for the best shot. Conversely, they don't just sit around and hold the ball. What the hell was going on at about 3 minutes in this game and the Lady Vols were in front of their bench just dribbling and passing, all while being 10 pts down. And then to throw in Dunbar to jack up 3s in the last few minutes. 3 minutes in the game and you're 10 pts down, the ball is in Diamond Deshields hands everytime. She may be off her game some nights, but she's the best on your team - period!!!! I'd take my chances on her. In case you didn't notice, she's preseason all american, ESPN top 20, WNBA draft #1 prospect. Everybody knows the talent but her current coach - really? It may be that everyone knows her game will take off after college, but is essentially suffocating under a poor coaching staff. Who was the last player that came out of the lady vols program, who's game evolved over her four years at TN? I can't name a single player since Holly's been coaching, that's gotten better year to year. And Holly's been coaching this team longer than people may realize. Before PHS early on-set dementia was made public, Holly was coaching this team and has done nothing with it.

Reactions: 4 people
When are diehard LADY Vol fans going to get what I've been saying for years--we have a terrible coaching staff.
Yes they have to take a huge amount of blame for the way this team plays. Penn State brought a lot of energy tonight and we played like we didn't care.

VN Store

Back